Jump to content

Aston On Clun. A Great Western might have been.


MrWolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello Rob, 

 

I found that the water itself was surprisingly easy, it just requires patience.

 

Ok, it was easy until the patience part.

 

I doubt that you will have any problems with subtle colouring of the bed of the watercourse, given your abilities with anything else that stands still long enough! It's pretty much the same colours plus a little sap green.

 

Having had a go, I'm wondering why I thought water is a black art.

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is good to see you back Rob. But then on the other hand all our bridges have remained intact.

 

All that scene is missing is a couple of ducks and maybe a few waders in the shallows.

 

 

Edited by Gedward
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

All that scene is missing is a couple of ducks and maybe a few waders in the shallows.

 

Do we think the Stuka's are now not effective enough and we need to break out the tank busters?

 

image.png.d8c14f32bd3cc3244a7015603dec1a02.png

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Hello Rob, 

 

I found that the water itself was surprisingly easy, it just requires patience.

 

Ok, it was easy until the patience part.

 

I doubt that you will have any problems with subtle colouring of the bed of the watercourse, given your abilities with anything else that stands still long enough! It's pretty much the same colours plus a little sap green.

 

Having had a go, I'm wondering why I thought water is a black art.

 

 

Thank you. That's reassuring. I can feel a test piece coming on.........when I get five minutes. 

 

As for the bridge........

 

"It’s a mother, beautiful bridge,"

 

 

Just look out for the P47s..

 

R

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20210914_193544.jpg.346770a3a525a49bfbd37e1ffe42029e.jpg

 

Hello everyone, after what can only be described as an interesting few weeks... ("Challenging" has been banned in this house as a bull**** buzzword...) I'm back with a little bit of progress to report. 

The river board has always been a bit of a bête noir because I haven't even attempted to model water since a rather disappointing experiment with resin when I was about twelve. 

For this scene to work, I had to get things right. I have deliberately made the river about 20% narrower towards the backscene in order to create an illusion of space and distance. I also made the river banks separately using a stiff mixture of plaster and PVA to give a crumbling soil effect to the bank's as per the real river Clun.

I spent a fair bit of time mixing a sandy pink acrylic paint base layer for the soil. That received a brown wash, followed by highlighting with progressively lighter shades of the base colour. I then put in a short of tide mark for the natural water table.

Next I got to do the more fun part, I built up the areas of deposited stones below the banks and the scattered larger stones in the watercourse itself. 

The stone is the real thing, gravel recovered from the banks of the river Clun during the only vintage motorcycle event that we have been able to attend this year, held just a few yards up the road from Broome station, the facility that actually served Aston on Clun.

The bed of the river was painted with a mix of brown, tan and green that as a base coat looked like fresh cow muck. Lighter and darker shades were brushed in to the wet paint.

Then came my non favourite part. Coffer dams were constructed of masking tape and a thin layer of Rustin's gloss polyurethane varnish Wes dropped in with a large brush and worked amongst the stones with a small brush, so that the tops of exposed rocks remained dry. A bin liner was stretched over the area to keep out dust and the river ignored for a week, before repeating the process.  In high summer, the movement of the water is barely noticeable from fifty feet, so I wasn't too worried about trying to model ripples. Normal viewing distance is over 200 scale feet remember. (That's my excuse, dissenters will be sent for re-education / special treatment.) 

I think it's kind of worked!

We are likely to be moving house in the near future, but neither of us think that is a valid reason to stop building Aston. 

 

 

 

IMG_20210914_193559.jpg

 

IMG_20210914_193551.jpg.7a452b83fb4147e7ef2e4a5ba7a8039a.jpg

 

 

Good to see you back Rob.  River looks great.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I too add my congratulations on the river scene. Really looks the part. I hope Aston will be an easy move to the new abode whenever that happens. Also hope that whatever has kept you away is sorted or at the very least is being sorted to your satisfaction.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 57xx said:

 

Do we think the Stuka's are now not effective enough and we need to break out the tank busters?

 

image.png.d8c14f32bd3cc3244a7015603dec1a02.png

 

Excellent, I'll take two! Can I get them with a CD player/whitewall tyres and vinyl roof / furry dice?

 

coventry-1940.jpg.50c28e5714eb167c854dff92879c90d2.jpg

 

I know it's not on a bridge, but you know how it is when you get a shiny new ride... you just can't wait to see what it will do...

 

 

 

 

Edited by MrWolf
Rotovating
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Good to see you posting again Rob, I have a River scene to do, but now having seen yours I'm having second thoughts.

 BTW do you do commissions?:D:good:

 

Thanks, it's good to be back.

 

As for the river, you really should have a go. The base is painted plywood, the stones were scattered onto neat PVA and covered in dilute PVA as per ballast.

The varnish finds its way into the shallows quite by itself when pushed around with a brush. 

 

There has been no attempt to level up the varnish. It has been allowed to find its own level.

 

I use Rustin's gloss polyurethane varnish because it flows really well, I usually use it on antique radio cabinets and the like. It's around £6 for a half litre.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is the sort of thing I am aiming for with the river. 

 

River_Clun_-_geograph_org.uk_-_398204.jpg.812ee8d1f254d3d6b7f22b23e674880a.jpg

 

1219107.jpg.017ed1c11b17e24c2681e78f5b45d22a.jpg

 

Rob, that isn't the River Lugg is it?  Looks very familiar, and is the look I'm going for with Chuffnell Regis as well.

 

In fact I recently got a static grass gizmo, so might have to start playing with that soon!

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

 

Rob, that isn't the River Lugg is it?  Looks very familiar, and is the look I'm going for with Chuffnell Regis as well.

 

In fact I recently got a static grass gizmo, so might have to start playing with that soon!

 

I have a similar situation with a static grass gizmo, I'm just psyching myself up to use it! 

 

The river Lugg isn't too far away and the topography is very similar.

 

IMGP7379.jpg.2011abbb8586df0c37330fc40de1452a.jpg

 

Then there's the Wye, much bigger and crossed by bridges like this, which if time, money and room were infinite....

 

0_Redbrook-Bridge.jpg.c07689e4e2312b6076ba5f7ddb263523.jpg

 

That's Redbrook bridge. It's a mother beautiful bridge and - it's still there.

 

See? I said something righteous and hopeful for once!

  • Like 9
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

 

I have a similar situation with a static grass gizmo, I'm just psyching myself up to use it! 

 

The river Lugg isn't too far away and the topography is very similar.

 

IMGP7379.jpg.2011abbb8586df0c37330fc40de1452a.jpg

 

Then there's the Wye, much bigger and crossed by bridges like this, which if time, money and room were infinite....

 

0_Redbrook-Bridge.jpg.c07689e4e2312b6076ba5f7ddb263523.jpg

 

That's Redbrook bridge. It's a mother beautiful bridge and - it's still there.

 

See? I said something righteous and hopeful for once!

 

Redbrook is at Tintern if I remember rightly.  A beautiful spot, and would make a gorgeous layout (time, money, and space permitting!)

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

 

Redbrook is at Tintern if I remember rightly.  A beautiful spot, and would make a gorgeous layout (time, money, and space permitting!)

Yes north of Tintern south of Monmouth.  Great shame the line is no longer open  (same with the Hereford - Ross on Wye line).  Both pass through stunning countryside  I took a walk along the Wye Valley line last week starting at Tintern station, and heading towards Monmouth.     

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the bridge across the Wye nearest to Tintern abbey.  The scene would be quite a tricky but incredible thing to recreate.

I know that there's a number of people on here who could manage it with a couple of empty Frosties boxes and some paint!

 

1013045_6_3.jpg.df0a13eee93dd020531a5733ff65ab96.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...