My First 009 Layout

Andy 17

This is my first venture into 009 and the first layout I've had for about 40 years.  The baseboard measures 5 feet by 2 feet 3 inches and has been covered with 2mm cork.

I bought a Kato V5 oval of track from Ebay to test and have a play with my Bachmann Baldwin but I'll be using Peco flexible track and electrofrog points. It will be a DCC layout.

I expect this all to be a huge learning curve as most of this is new to me.

Made a start on the wiring today, the bus wires are in and have been connected to the power supply.

Best Wishes

Andy

F972E7CA-8019-4BC6-8C2E-3AACA5D480E1.jpeg

15DA6EEF-4402-4EF5-9D6F-419789426332_1_201_a.jpeg

C1A050B3-CB28-444C-95BE-6A0A1A67F15E_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 7

Just remember it's a narrow gauge railway with all the individuality that brings, so don't just do a standard gauge mini-me! Do some research, look at pictures of NG and model that!! Good luck. 

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Just remember it's a narrow gauge railway with all the individuality that brings, so don't just do a standard gauge mini-me! Do some research, look at pictures of NG and model that!! Good luck. 

I intend to do just that, I’m currently struggling to work out how to wire up Peco electrofrog points. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I can't help you there, mine is DC, but the wiring will be the same as Peco's SG points so why not look it up on the DCC section one here. Also, if you haven't already, I'd suggest you look up NGRM-Online which is the UK based Narrow Gauge forum and has many people who use DCC and 009 electrofrog points! You will need to register to view it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The main thing is to put isolated joiners on the two rails connected to the ‘frog’ / crossing and feed the track beyond them separately. 
If it’s an isolated frog, 18” mainline points, with a thin wire attached underneath then you’ll need a switch to change polarity as the point moves, that can be a simple slide switch or point motor with switch. 
For a common frog, 12” rad ‘crazy track’, you can rely on the blades to power it but need to keep the mating surfaces clean especially with Dcc. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ComicalEngineer said:

Do you have a track plan in mind?

Bear in mind that the Peco main line points are a long radius for a small space.

I have almost finished laying the track, I'll post some pictures when it's all finalised. I've used the Peco Small Radius 009 Electrofrog Points SL-E491 and SL-E492.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 1

I've tested the track and it didn't all go according to plan. 

First of all there was a short somewhere which strangely disappeared when I disconnected the dropper wires from the points (not the frog end) to the bus wire. I don't know yet if the problem was with all of them or just one. I hadn't connected any of the wires to the on/off/on momentary switches, would this be the reason for the short?

I also got a derailment in a couple of places so I will be relaying some of the track as soon as some more arrives.

Best Wishes

Andy  (feeling slightly miffed)

Edited by Andy 17

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’ve weathered “Bridget” and added Modelu crew figures. Also started applying  weathering to some wagons as well. A line side fence from Scale Model Scenery has been put in place at the top of the rock face. 

B99E49CA-E2A1-4C03-B388-CA669C6E683C.jpeg

DE8030C5-E1EC-4B77-BB54-E525CA4E1C66.jpeg

FFD38A37-7014-41B2-BF69-8310481002F7.jpeg

CB8BE2EB-E847-40B2-8363-A8EF5057ECF3.jpeg

Edited by Andy 17
  • Like 6

On 04/07/2021 at 07:04, AdeMoore said:

Hi Andy, I’m also 1st time out in 009 nothing built yet, was hoping for some inspiration here anything further developed on the layout?

cheers

Ade

Hi Ade,

Sorry it’s been so long since I posted anything. I’m slowly making some progress and I’ll try to make more regular updates. 

Best Wishes 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Andy 17 said:

Hi Ade,

Sorry it’s been so long since I posted anything. I’m slowly making some progress and I’ll try to make more regular updates. 

Best Wishes 

Andy

You’re being hard on yourself! You’ve posted a lot since I posted that last year good progress.

Nice work.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1