Helmsdale on the Far North Line

Dunmar

Hi,

The destination for my next exhibition layout is the Far North Line. What has brought me here, well having exhibited Kinlochewe and Glenfinnan which were based on the West Highland extension I decided I would give the West a rest!  However, which station should I model. I had looked at 3 possibilities - Wick, Brora and Helmsdale.

First and foremost is size. Glenfinnan when at home has to be operated in my loft, it takes up a lot of room. I need a smaller more manageable layout. Now I'm not saying this is my last exhibition layout, but we ain't gettin' any younger.

Helmsdale appealed to me as it has a nice sweeping curve approach into the station, I just love the signal box. That footbridge will be a challenge. It just feels right for me!

My chosen era will be mid 70's to late 80's, now there's a surprise. I have been doing a lot of research on line and there is no shortage of material however, what I can't find details of is the track layout from this period especially the north end. There are a handfull of photos but they aren't clear enough. I would be satisfied with details of the pointwork on the approach from the south which is clear enough, and the setup on the north side which isn't. 

I also intend to install my working semiphores which I built and have been languishing in a box on my work bench. Any help forthcoming will be greatly appreciated.

Bill.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

I'll drop you a line.

Hi Ben,

Thanks.

Thought you might be the first to get back to me. With regards to my proposed track plan , I want to  keep the pointwork to a minimum. So my first question would be what did it look like around 1974  and again in 1985. I'm more concerned what it looked like at the North end as I am happy enough with the South end. Again photos of the period in question are thin on the ground , or am I just not looking in the right places.

Bill.

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop. If you need any photos of what is there now drop me a line. I am only half an hour from Helmsdale.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

Thanks. 

My man on the ground. You may well come to regret saying that. I'm not sure at this stage whether I go down the road of photographic background or painted, as I  previously did on Kinlochewe and Glenfinnan but the area behind the station doesn't look as it poses too much of a problem. For the time being I shall put you on hold.

Bill.

10 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Hi David,

Thanks. 

My man on the ground. You may well come to regret saying that. I'm not sure at this stage whether I go down the road of photographic background or painted, as I  previously did on Kinlochewe and Glenfinnan but the area behind the station doesn't look as it poses too much of a problem. For the time being I shall put you on hold.

Bill.

That is fine Bill. I am happy to assist as needed

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

The Helmsdale North and South Cabin diagrams are on the SignalBox.org site:

https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id= 537

https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id= 536

Though both show 'amended 1989, so might be too late for your era?

HTH

Hi,

Thanks, 

Yes I was aware of these drawings from another source and yes they may be of some use . I can use all the help I can get. It will be inevitable, but ' modellers licence ' will have to come into use at some stage, in limited quantities.

Bill.

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

I suspect that you are aware of Ernie Brack's Far North Line gallery on Flickr. I can't see any pictures showing the northern point layout but I enjoyed looking. 

FARTHER NORTH LINE

Hi,

No I wasn't aware, keep throwing all these gems at me. I've spent the last 20 or so years modelling the West Highland I didn't think anything else existed. Will have a look later.

Cheers, Bill.

Hi,

In my efforts to formulate a working track plan based on the drawing so kindly supplied to me I have cunningly joined the two together , correctly I hope. Modelling skills I have in abundance, alas, understanding railway practices, eh! No!

As my stock is primarily  70's to late 80's corporate blue and L/Logo it looks as though I may have to lay most of 

the pointwork which is shown in the drawing. I probably will have to include the North box, incidentally when was this taken out of use ?

Which brings to the subject of track.

Although I haven't made a final decision, I have a surplus of Code 75 Peco  streamline track and curved points which would do nicely and would blend in with the flowing curves required on the south approach and the exit north.

However, I could also use the Code 75 pointwork  with the new bullhead rail, thats if one can get a hold of it ! Has  anyone on here tried this combination?

Baseboards!!! Yes! Apparently there is an acute shortage of wood! Covid!!

Bill.

Final Track Plan Helmsdale.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Try contacting Class 26 as he’s doing Forsinard and Thurso stations in the same time frame that your modelling.  His thread is in “Layout topic” if you want to get some ideas.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Hi,

In my efforts to formulate a working track plan based on the drawing so kindly supplied to me I have cunningly joined the two together , correctly I hope. Modelling skills I have in abundance, alas, understanding railway practices, eh! No!

As my stock is primarily  70's to late 80's corporate blue and L/Logo it looks as though I may have to lay most of 

the pointwork which is shown in the drawing. I probably will have to include the North box, incidentally when was this taken out of use ?

Which brings to the subject of track.

Although I haven't made a final decision, I have a surplus of Code 75 Peco  streamline track and curved points which would do nicely and would blend in with the flowing curves required on the south approach and the exit north.

However, I could also use the Code 75 pointwork  with the new bullhead rail, thats if one can get a hold of it ! Has  anyone on here tried this combination?

Baseboards!!! Yes! Apparently there is an acute shortage of wood! Covid!!

Bill.

Final Track Plan Helmsdale.jpg

As Jools 1959 says I have just started a Far North layout based a little further up the line than Helmsdale using Forsinard as the passing station and Thurso as the terminus.

Regarding track my previous layouts have all been code 75 with electro frog points but this new one is using the new Bullhead rail with the new unifrog points. My experience with the unifrog points is that they are a revelation. They have been installed for over 6 months now and I haven`t had one single stall. They also look so much better. I would say if it fits your budget (and your stock) make the move to bullhead  completely. You will not regret it.  I am waiting for more points for the Thurso section but the wait is worth it for the running. Once you have used the unifrog points you will never go back.

Good luck with your layout. Ben Alder knows far more than I about the Far North but I might be able to assist as I am modelling the blue period so ask away if you wish

Class 26 

• Agree 1

Really excited about this new project Bill. Your previous two layouts have been excellent so I will enjoy watching this one develop. Can I echo what Class 26 has said about the Peco unifrog points. Absolutely faultless pieces of kit and they look lovely. I think the Bullhead points justify the extra expense but at around twice the price of the electrofrog example can be a bit of a stretch. 

Helmsdale is the furthest north I've been on the Far North line by train. I needed to get my campervan into a garage for repairs and it was the furthest I could get to between dropping the van off in the morning and getting back before it closed at 5. 

Good luck with it and I shall look forward to your updates. I'm off to get my video 125 Far North cabride now. See what you've done :D

All the Best,

Andy

10 hours ago, class26 said:

As Jools 1959 says I have just started a Far North layout based a little further up the line than Helmsdale using Forsinard as the passing station and Thurso as the terminus.

Regarding track my previous layouts have all been code 75 with electro frog points but this new one is using the new Bullhead rail with the new unifrog points. My experience with the unifrog points is that they are a revelation. They have been installed for over 6 months now and I haven`t had one single stall. They also look so much better. I would say if it fits your budget (and your stock) make the move to bullhead  completely. You will not regret it.  I am waiting for more points for the Thurso section but the wait is worth it for the running. Once you have used the unifrog points you will never go back.

Good luck with your layout. Ben Alder knows far more than I about the Far North but I might be able to assist as I am modelling the blue period so ask away if you wish

Class 26 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Keeping my options open at the moment with regards to track choice. I have been follwing your progress with Forsinard and am suitably impressed. Great bit of modelling. Hope to get in on the comments soon! Love the Thurso part, my other choice was Wick which I haven't totally discounted as yet.

I have been in touch with Ben already and will be looking to him to keep me right!

Bill.

2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Really excited about this new project Bill. Your previous two layouts have been excellent so I will enjoy watching this one develop. Can I echo what Class 26 has said about the Peco unifrog points. Absolutely faultless pieces of kit and they look lovely. I think the Bullhead points justify the extra expense but at around twice the price of the electrofrog example can be a bit of a stretch. 

Helmsdale is the furthest north I've been on the Far North line by train. I needed to get my campervan into a garage for repairs and it was the furthest I could get to between dropping the van off in the morning and getting back before it closed at 5. 

Good luck with it and I shall look forward to your updates. I'm off to get my video 125 Far North cabride now. See what you've done :D

All the Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the comments, its so difficult to let go of the West Highland its been a passion of mine for so long. It seemed a natural move to the Far North considering the stock I have with more on the way from Accurascale with the release of their 37's. I've been following your progress on Mallaig , all be it from a distance .

Bill.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, David Bell said:

I have mixed bullhead rail with code 75 3 way and curved points on my model of Glasgow Queen Street. It is no problem at all

20200926_174125.jpg

20200926_174146.jpg

Hi David,

Wow! You've certainly given yourself a mamoth task there! I take it you have a ' cunning plan '.

I haven't been as active on here as I have been in the past, however, I have been hankering after a new project and the time as arrived. With regards to the track , as I 've said I haven't made a final decision yet ! But thanks for the photos.

Bill.

25 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Hi David,

Wow! You've certainly given yourself a mamoth task there! I take it you have a ' cunning plan '.

I haven't been as active on here as I have been in the past, however, I have been hankering after a new project and the time as arrived. With regards to the track , as I 've said I haven't made a final decision yet ! But thanks for the photos.

Bill.

Yes quite a task, but I am in no hurry. One step at a time. The bit that seems to have caught most folks attention is the roof, which I have made a start on, long way to go though!

Cheers

David

20201030_110305.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the comments, its so difficult to let go of the West Highland its been a passion of mine for so long. It seemed a natural move to the Far North considering the stock I have with more on the way from Accurascale with the release of their 37's. I've been following your progress on Mallaig , all be it from a distance .

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Yes it does seem a natural move for you. I think any fan of the West Highland has a love of the Kyle and Far North lines too. I certainly have desires to one day do a version of Georgemass Junction. That's a long way off tho so for now I can indulge myself by following this thread. 

I'm looking forward to the Christmas break to push my own project along and hopefully give an update on my thread.

Really enjoying being part of this community, following the threads and interacting with (what I can now call) fellow modellers.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Further to my question with regards to the track plan . After ploughing through loads of pics I'm no further forward to finding out what it looked like at the different stages it went through ie, which parts were lifted and when. My amended track plan shows the removal of the cross - over at the end of the North end of the platform and the removal of the siding  from the up line, ( marked here as down ). I still don' t know when the box was taken out of use at the north end either. The lower signal arm has also been removed from the corresponding signals as they are no longer required.

My reasons for these changes are as follows; My hope is to place the station on 2 x 20" x 5ft boards  so as to show off the flowing curvature  on the approach and departure from and through the station. I intend to shorten the platform accordingly, but I still want to have the feeling of length to the station and trains. 

I also want to be able to position the signals at a realistic distance so as to be in keeping with railway practice. 

The last time I was faced with such a dilemma was when I was building Kinlochewe, which was based on the track plan at Mallaig , it worked then, let's hope I can do it again. I look forward to your comments, and hopefully some answers.

Bill.

• Like 1

The north box was removed with the intro of RETB signalling in 1984 and ,IIR, demolished as part of the job then. The sidings on the down line went in two stages -  the original two storage ones in the sixties and the two old engine roads sometime after 1984 ( did some poking around my files after writing this) - I didn't pay as much attention to Helmsdale as I did to Thurso unfortunately.

Are you referring to the lower arm of the signal on the down line at the north end of the station? It was still in use at that date so lasted till the end of semaphore signalling. Here is a pic of it I took in the early seventies.

1456429123_SignalHelmsdalesignalk-crop.jpg.ea3a836e5cd345e59632f91aec8ab03d.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
Further thought.
  • Like 4