Chester Northgate reimagined

woodenhead

It's been a bit, the mojo got to me when I felt I could not do the point motors.

Seems that voicing my difficulties may have helped me put it into perspective and tonight I have removed one of the baseboards to rework it in readiness for point motors.

I was looking at the points, finding a decent place to solder has always been a concern and on my previous layout I hacked out a sleeper to make space for fully wiring the points, but on this layout I went back to points that hadn't been abused as such.  Change of mind, hacking it is, plenty of space then to wire a frog though I might be a little more judicious this time and take out a portion of sleeper to expose one of the frog rails.  I am going to replace several points this way and I've removed the springs on the first two points this evening so that tomorrow I can add the frog wires, screw in the motor and wire them up.  Once tested and working I will repeat on the other 4 points on the board.  All being good I can move to board two later in the week for the final six points.

As some of the points that I am using came from the fiddleyard that is now useless, but that's fine as stage 3 will be the return of cassette storage and I have a plan in my head that I need to contemplate, but no hurry.

One platform line is to be removed from the model, I put it in because I wanted four platform faces, but it doesn't exist on the real station and I actually have hardly used it, so out it comes.   With more space at the back than the front I've decided when the station itself gets built I will reverse it and put the buildings to the back - it was never going to be an exact model of Chester so I shouldn't be too concerned about where I place the station buildings.

Onwards......

Edited by woodenhead
missing a not
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Board one now has it's six points all motored - learnt the hard way that a cobalt IP is handed when it comes to frog polarity, Sprog needs to go off for repair but back up plant implemented and I've been able to program the remaining two points and all is good.

Next decision is whether I need to lift the track onto foam roadbed - I didn't do it originally but now the motors are in some of the screws protrude where there is track, if I snip the motor wires now they will be too short if I decide to add the roadbed.  I seem to recall I wasn't best impressed with the roadbed last time round - it went flat quite easily, I'll have to dig it out and have a think.

Board two is another six points to extract, add the frog wire, remove spring and then install the motor - getting quicker though now I've got my confidence back.  The Cobalt IPs really are simple to install and the stick pads are great to position the motor before pfaffing around with the screws.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Board two now motored and programmed, this leaves just board three - the cassette fiddleyard.

I need to drop the height of this final board by a centimetre, so the saw comes out later - alternative was an incline from the final set of points to the point where the cassettes begin, sounded like a recipe for disaster as that also crossed the board joins on a rising curve.

All being good I can play trains sometime this weekend.

• Like 2

More progress and a chance to test the point flows - final board lowered one centimetre, fiddleyard / cassette mating point formed.

Four cassettes now full of coaches, I'll do the rest tomorrow but the class 40 handled the curves quite nicely and didn't stutter on the curved points like it used to when the frogs relied on the toe of the blade for power.

The cassettes are currently using fishplates for power, I have time to come up with a longer term solution.

Track all needs a good clean and then complete the casssettes and tidy up, but it's nice to have found my mojo again and gotten past the point motors where I was frozen for months.

Once I've got the cassettes done next is point macros for route setting and then some Dapol easi-shunts for loco releasing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Three more cassettes to do then done, been testing the trains since their enforced rest, got three poorly ones:

• unresponsive 37 - it may be a programming issue
  • stuttering Western - one wheel appears to be sticking on the rolling road, worse in one direction than the other.
  • class 47 grounding  - this is from before the mojo loss struck, I took the bogie off to remove a split gear and it the bogie frame hasn't gone back how it should.  If I cannot get it in tight I may have to shave a little off the gear covers under the bogie so it clears the points again.  It was fine when I bought it, only since I took off the bogie frame has it done it.  Common fault on this run of the 47s.

Other trains were fine, and happily crossed the points in the throat and onto the cassettes. 

Have just enough space for the cassettes for the trains I have plus one class 128 when it arrives, maybe this will keep me honest and not buying more DMUs (but I do have a spare cassette just in case....).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Been a few months, the layout gathered some dust but there is activity again.

I am glad I titled this 'Reimagined' because I have veered from the real station, I recognised I would not be at the current time able to build an overall roof and I actually don't have any clear images of the station building.  So I have accepted my lack of ability and knowledge and gone with a Metcalfe station.  I know, I know, it's stone and the station wasn't, the real station also had an overall roof not canopies but if I don't build something, I won't build anything and I quite like how far I have got so far.

So without further ado - a station work in progress shot:

IMG_4815.JPG.9620c43b9cae09cde2336dee7850a17a.JPG

Now I see it on a picture I like it more, still got the platforms to finish off, track to reposition slightly, but it looks like a station.

Once the platforms are finished, I will tackle uncoupling in the station, time to try out Dapol easi-shunts I think.

Then I need to begin scenics for the back of this board, I think I am going with the remnents of a cobbled goods yard with old inset rails turned into a car park - I think that should also work if I turn the clock back to early 60s and run some steam engines as many goods facilities had been curtailed by then.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 9

So the announcement of a Farish 08 DCC ready had me reach for my wallet.

My existing shunters were heading to the recycling pile with Rails.  Inadvertently Rails’ offer, whilst almost on the money for my estimated value, made me think again about selling them given how much cash I would actually raise.

Yesterday at Doncaster instead of handing over three locos to Rails, I purchased two tiny MX615R decoders and the first is now wired to my 08.

Here it is getting a run in as it hasn’t had a proper outing in ages

IMG_4834.JPG.e414d05e4b1ce32cb527a79ecf49f2a3.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG.417fef12dbe0e288d189f29a7b0b65a1.JPG

Next up the 04.

Question is, do I still want a sound 08?

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More developments with decoders.

I've begun adding sound to my 24s and 25s, using the cab space for the speakers.

This is an MS500 with MINI BOX 8OHM 12X8X8MM speaker, it also comes with wires ready for a capacitor and mine came with a capacitor in the box but no space to fit it in the loco.

The speaker is installed in the cab space - using the older MX649 decoder it would be necessary to remove the top LED from the circuit board to get the body back on snug - but the M500 is about the same size as a small non-sound decoder so it fitted in the space in the board no problem and I was able to retain the lights just losing the basic cab interior.

• Like 2

While I wait for my two decoders for my class 24s to arrive back from Digitrains, thoughts have turned to the growing number of spare decoders I now have as another 4 locos go from silent to sound.

I want to run some Stanier engines on my railway, one way is to run as two periods but that entails swapping stock over and after watching Barton Road at Glasgow last week which is a slightly earlier period than I currently model I have decided that if I go back a little bit I can have my cake and eat it with steam and diesels.

None of my current stock except for one 1980 livery B/G DMU is too late for the 1960s, I cannot read the numbers on my locos so pre-tops is not an issue and while the station might bear a real name and it's plan is almost the correct trackplan the buildings arenothing like the real thing so I am in fantasyland. 

With that in mind I have just purchased some green bodyshells - an 04, a 25 and a 108 2 car set (to backdate the 1980 B/G unit).  I have quite a selection of steam engines, but the ones I want to run are staniers and standards.  A Black 5, Jubilee or even a Scot would not look out of place on locals out of Manchester Central at the ends of their careers - ok I am stretching credibility and timelines, but I have the stock and I'd prefer to use it than lose it so I am going to mix and match in a manner that may not please the purists - but just look at the Metcalfe buildings, we are not in any in the real world.  In addition to these locos I also have the Mk1s and Staniers in maroon that I can mix into my existing trains and form some additional ones so a real increase in stock on the layout without any additional expenditure and I do feel a little guilty when mine are in boxes and people cannot purchase new ones from the shops.

The Rapido Co-Bo now also comes into my sphere of operation being North West based

At the back of the layout there is also hard to reach space, I have purchased 6 point motors to install 6 sidings, I've been in two minds what they will be - a small freight yard that I said I would not do, or coach sidings.  I think the latter is the best, being hard to reach isn't ideal for freight sidings whereas coaches just need to be parked and left. 

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3

Class 24 sound today - this is on an MX649N chip and same speaker as the class 25, I also have a second 24 to be fitted with an MS500 but I need to solder the speaker on tonight after work.

But couldn't resist a little video of the first one as it was already all soldered up, just needed to be plugged in.

Really pleased to have Sulzers chittering on the layout.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scottystitch said:

It's refreshing to see/hear a sound fitted model locomotive being driven properly with regard to throttle and coasting.

Thanks for sharing.

Best

Scott.

It's the Zimo Active Drive, it's really good.

I get all my stuff from Digitrains, excellent service and they are great for giving advice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's the Zimo Active Drive, it's really good.

I get all my stuff from Digitrains, excellent service and they are great for giving advice.

Sound fitted 24's and 25's, love them! I might have to be brave and do the same to mine sometime! I had a quick look at the Digitrains stand at Doncaster, but didn't buy anything. They are only a shortish journey over the Humber Bridge, so will have to visit them sometime and empty my wallet! :D

@EuroMST

If you dont want to mill the chassis, then the solution I have chosen works and doesn't require any surgery to the loco beyond taking out the cab interior - all the lighting can stay.

MS500 chip, it is the same size as a normal mini non sound decoder so no need to remove any of the circuit board.  I made the mistake of getting an MX649N first and the body will not sit back down without removing the LED part of the circuit board, but the MS500 drops in nicely.  The MX649N was reblown for a class 24 sound as the interior has more space for the larger chip and that loco was in the video earlier - it too has the speaker below in the cab area with no loss of lighting function.

The speaker from Digitrains is an SP12x8x8 mini box, it slips into the space in front of the chassis block and the end of the cab space.

Also recently I plucked up the courage to chip my 08 and 04, I had been waiting for Farish to do the DCC chassis but then when they did I felt my money was better spent chipping what I had and having more money for other projects.  For both I used a MX615R nano chip with the plug and excess wires removed leaving just the 4 motor/power feed wires.

Edited by woodenhead

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@EuroMST

If you dont want to mill the chassis, then the solution I have chosen works and doesn't require any surgery to the loco beyond taking out the cab interior - all the lighting can stay.

MS500 chip, it is the same size as a normal mini non sound decoder so no need to remove any of the circuit board.  I made the mistake of getting an MX649N first and the body will not sit back down without removing the LED part of the circuit board, but the MS500 drops in nicely.  The MX649N was reblown for a class 24 sound as the interior has more space for the larger chip and that loco was in the video earlier - it too has the speaker below in the cab area with no loss of lighting function.

The speaker from Digitrains is an SP12x8x8 mini box, it slips into the space in front of the chassis block and the end of the cab space.

Also recently I plucked up the courage to chip my 08 and 04, I had been waiting for Farish to do the DCC chassis but then when they did I felt my money was better spent chipping what I had and having more money for other projects.  For both I used a MX615R nano chip with the plug and excess wires removed leaving just the 4 motor/power feed wires.

Thanks for all the info. I definitely don't fancy milling the chassis on my 24s and 25s. The little Zimo chips look like the way to go! I guess you still have to remove the existing circuit board to wire it in though? I will have to practice my soldering skills!

I will probably get sound in my other two Next18 40s first, folloed by the 31s and 50s as they are all relatively easy.

Like your DCC conversion on the 04 as well. I was going to sell the 03 I picked up last year and pick up a new DCC ready one, but I am re-thinking that now. I will pre-order the new sound fitted 08 though, as the 08 I have must be almost 40 years old!

@EuroMST No need to make any changes to anything on the locos except inserting a 6 pin MS500 that is wired to the speaker, don't have to do anything to the circuit boards.

The hardest part is soldering the wires from the decoder to the speakers.  I use a magnifying light to help and something to hold the speaker dead still leaving both hands free.  Note with an MS500 from Digitrains it has 4 wires - 2 for speakers and two for the capacitor they include, but there does not appear to be space to put it anywhere inside the body.  So I ensured the ends of the capacitor wires are insulated and left them inside the body in case I ever need them - though my experience with the 24/25 is that they are solid performers and don't really need any help from a capacitor.

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@EuroMST No need to make any changes to anything on the locos except inserting a 6 pin MS500 that is wired to the speaker, don't have to do anything to the circuit boards.

The hardest part is soldering the wires from the decoder to the speakers.  I use a magnifying light to help and something to hold the speaker dead still leaving both hands free.  Note with an MS500 from Digitrains it has 4 wires - 2 for speakers and two for the capacitor they include, but there does not appear to be space to put it anywhere inside the body.  So I ensured the ends of the capacitor wires are insulated and left them inside the body in case I ever need them - though my experience with the 24/25 is that they are solid performers and don't really need any help from a capacitor.

That is just what I am after, a 6 pin chip that does sound. I thought they existed as I have seen them mentioned for adding sound to the 101 and 108 DMUs. I would like to get sound in the main North Wales Coast fleet of 24s, 25s, 40s and 47s, but didn't much fancy the chassis mods required, or paying someone else to fit sound to them all.

The Mrs has told me to pull my finger out and start building the layout planned for them all before I start making more of them noisy! I only have 40 141 with sound so far, only another 20 or so out of the 60 strong diesel fleet to go. Think I need to thin out the collection a bit more!

Thanks again for the heads up on how reasonably straighforward the 25's are now. I will start saving up the sound pennies! :D

@EuroMST Next month I will be starting on other locos - the 52 looks good for a similar fit, then I've a couple of 47s to deal with before I move on to the green locos - a 22, 35 and 42.

I've done all my DMUs already - there is a speaker space at the back of the motor coach to fit one and again it's just a 6 pin sound decoder. 

If I were you I'd have a chat with Digitrains for some advice, they are very helpful.

Also look at YouChoos - lots of helpful videos there on fitting sound to DMUs - but when it comes to locos he is milling bodies so you might want to look away on those.

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@EuroMST Next month I will be starting on other locos - the 52 looks good for a similar fit, then I've a couple of 47s to deal with before I move on to the green locos - a 22, 35 and 42.

I've done all my DMUs already - there is a speaker space at the back of the motor coach to fit one and again it's just a 6 pin sound decoder. 

If I were you I'd have a chat with Digitrains for some advice, they are very helpful.

Also look at YouChoos - lots of helpful videos there on fitting sound to DMUs - but when it comes to locos he is milling bodies so you might want to look away on those.

I have had a good look around the YouChoos site. I think that is where I saw the bit about using 6 pin sound decoders in DMUs. I definitely don't fancy milling away half a chassis on a 47! I have a long dead Poole built 25 in works at the moment for a coreless motor and DCC conversion. I have had to do a bit of chassis milling on that one.

I will watch to see how you get on with your 47s. I have 9 of the DCC ready ones and another new tooling one sitting on a CJM Saturn chassis. I will only put sound in a few of them though. I probably won't bother with my Hymek and Warship, they will only get occasional runs. Have you got a Revolution DPU on order? One of them would be good with sound in.

Two of the green body shells arrived from BR lines this morning, a 25 and an 04.

Seen here with three locos about to join the on layout stud; a 22, 35 and a 42.

IMG_4889.JPG.a3e39be23f0ab1e2137b7e31a5245e68.JPG

The 42 might be a problem, it’s not moving on the rolling road so it will be stripped down later to check for any split gears.  The Dapol pair were a tad dry but they are running.  All three will get hand me down chips from my now sound equipped Sulzers.

@EuroMSTyep I have a 128 on order, in blue

Edited by woodenhead

I did have a sound 08 on order, originally it was to replace both the existing non DCC shunters, but since I wired them I recognised it was getting a little over balanced in the shunter department, so I cancelled the sound 08 and have ordered instead a Green FYE class 28.  It's going to work parcels from Northgate to Barrow, maybe the odd passenger turn too. 

The steam engines planned initially are the Jubiliee, Black 5 and Royal Scot, which will get their chips from the remaining spare from a now sound Sulzer and my two blue 37s which are going back into the box as I've no use for them at present.  An Ivatt 2-6-0, a Stanier 2-6-4T, a Standard 2-6-2T, a Standard 4MT and a Standard 5MT are waiting in the wings for spare chips to come available.  The steam engines will generally be working north west parcels and some local services substituting for missing DMUs, I might let them onto the odd longer distance train into Yorkshire.

No place though for a couple of Southern engines and three ex GWR tender engines, a spare 35 and an all green 22.

Green 108 bodies received from Bachman.

Took way to long to refit to the trailer, body didn’t like the chassis, finally got it on and there’s something in the middle cab window that want there earlier argh.

Quick pic of the before / after 

IMG_4891.JPG.69dc9085bd86f7d39df1685a6b5626a3.JPG

Now to fight with the trailer again

Edited by woodenhead