Ratio kitbuilt loco

18 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Perhaps under Peco management they will be revived.  I just purchased the Ratio 4 wheel GWR coach kits which are now under the Parkside brand.  Likewise all the LMS bogie coaches.

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think they are well dead and buried. Not been available for about forty years.

However they are quite easy to find. Just look for the ones with the Perseverance etched chassis. This one is sold, but it's at the higher price end. I've seen them for much less. Expect to pay about £40 to £50 for a full set with chassis, motor and wheels.

http://www.wmcollectables.co.uk/index.php?pg=gb&cat=702

To be honest if I wanted a MR 2-4-0 or 4-4-0 I wouldn't start here. Too much work. The old phrase about pulling the skin off a rice pudding is very apt. There's no weight and nowhere to put it.

They would make nice locomotives to use as an unpowered model for a double header though.

Jason

If they are manufactured again - probably unlikely if the tender tooling  is damaged - the I suggest an etched loco and tender chassis would be worthwhile for those wishing to build a reliable working model. The Perseverance chassis could become available again as the product range has recently changed hands and an internal tender chassis  wouldn't be too difficult to design. Cost? Probably about £35 plus Markit Wheels, motor and gears (£50+?).

I attempted to build one many years ago but my skills weren't then up to getting it to run properly. I gave it to a friend who was a very experienced modeller who made a success of it. It ran well but couldn't pull much. If I wanted one now I would go for one of the London Road Models kits as I got the hang of etched kits only a few years after giving up on the Ratio kit.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 2

My recollection is that they were about the cost of a Triang Flying Scotsman.  I remember Cheltenham Model Centre had them, probably had the same few for years without selling them and I eyed up the tenders longingly.  If reintroduced they need better power units as do 99% of current models.   Dapol's Tender motor loco drive works for N, and the old Airfix one for HO  so I am sure a slightly larger version of the Dapol system with a large chunk of depleted uranium / gold etc in the boiler would get a few coaches around the layout.   Drive the tender wheels as well and it could be quite a performer...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

My recollection is that they were about the cost of a Triang Flying Scotsman.  I remember Cheltenham Model Centre had them, probably had the same few for years without selling them and I eyed up the tenders longingly.  If reintroduced they need better power units as do 99% of current models.   Dapol's Tender motor loco drive works for N, and the old Airfix one for HO  so I am sure a slightly larger version of the Dapol system with a large chunk of depleted uranium / gold etc in the boiler would get a few coaches around the layout.   Drive the tender wheels as well and it could be quite a performer...

I wouldn't be far off then. As an aside I recall that Slater's had a Midland based 7mm layout at their old premises. The spinners utilised tender drive.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 10:54, Londontram said:

Both the Johnson 4-4-0 and the 2-4-0 are Handsom locos and look splendid in Midland red. For a bit of variety the 4-4-0 was also used by the Midland & Great Northern Railway and would look very nice in a M&GNR mustard yellow

Here's the photos Right way up

20210115_105217.jpg

Plus a 2-4-0 1400 class and a 4-4-0 in M&GNR yellow

20210115_111433.jpg

20210115_111405.jpg

Awesome, thanks!

• Like 2

On 15/01/2021 at 16:22, Graham456 said:

Ah Ha

but he is lucky enough to have one of the later kits judgeing from the pictures which don't have the molded on handrails so that won't be a problem!

But do look out for a preserveriance chassis kit for these kits or as I have found out you can remoter the currant brass overlay plastic chassis you have with markits wheels and a highlevel gearbox for a better running chassis, I got both of mine to run well during the first lockdown one with the plastic/brass chassis (couldn't get hold of a preserveriance brass chassis) and one with the aforementioned brass chassis

Yeah no handrails on this,  I've just put in an order for all the bits needed to fit them.

The motor works and the wheels turn properly now.  The loco is happy in straight lines , not found any corners it likes yet though! Some modification might be required to make that leading wheel pivot or something. 

I'm not too concerned with pulling power...I only have two ratio Midland clerestory coaches,  and it will have to share them with my Bachmann 1532 tank engine....

• 1 month later...

I still have a Ratio Catalogue 1979/80 showing the Midland 2-4-0 Locomotive on the front cover and advertised inside. Several years ago a got an untouched kit from ebay, it was the version with the improved motor & separate handrails. I built it last year after reading the posting “  Shock! Horror! WF does Midland and L&Y “  from 2012. I found it very helpful when building my kit. The Locomotive runs OK, not as smooth as a bought Locomotive, but as my first attempt at a Loco kit, I am well pleased. I painted it in Midland Crimson Lake, and used H M RS lining transfers.RatioCatalogue1.jpg.e13b861e077c44115c8f00c0916ad1c1.jpg

DSCN4782.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 4 weeks later...

You've made a really nice looking job of that. I have been tempted a few times by these on eBay, no luck yet and I don't even model the Midland Railway, but there's something so elegant about Victorian locos.

• Agree 2