Buttigiegs

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Buttigiegs in Newport is listed as the final destination for many steam locomotives.

If we have been attending to US politics, we wll have learned that Pete Buttigieg pronounces his name something like Boot-a-Judge.

I'm just curious how they said it in Newport.

I read somewhere that the name is of Maltese origin.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

Buttiegiegs or Buttigieg? ;) I asked the manager of our South Wales office how they pronounce it. I also asked if any relation. I will advise!

Edited by Bucoops
edited to remove emphasis on the spelling as I could be totally wrong :(

Pete Buttigieg (that's how he spells it, I just checked) is Biden's nominee to run Transport, and in his confirmation hearing said he was the "only the second biggest passenger rail enthusiast in this particular administration".  But considering the state of transport in the USA, he probably has better things to spend his time on than reflecting on whether his relatives went into the South Wales scrap business.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was referring to the Newport spelling - assuming Wikipedia is correct, Pete Buttigieg's father was Maltese so that may be the original Maltese spelling and the Welsh variant may have gained an extra e at some point :)

Having said the version without the e also appears in web searches for Newport . Haven't managed to find a photo of the sign or any paperwork to confirm which. Might have made myself look a plonker, not for the first time.

Edited by Bucoops

J.Buttigieg started in the scrap business at Pontnewydd.

The company then moved to Newport, near the former Town Dock, where they operated two sites, eventually concentrating on the one, well known cutting area adjacent to henry Morris' Baltic Oil Works.

I have spoken with a friend from Newport, who remembers the company, and also pronounced it "Buttygeeg" as I had mentioned earlier.

Brian R

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Buttigiegs in Newport is listed as the final destination for many steam locomotives.

If we have been attending to US politics, we wll have learned that Pete Buttigieg pronounces his name something like Boot-a-Judge.

I'm just curious how they said it in Newport.

I read somewhere that the name is of Maltese origin.

Listening to the news before the elections I kept thinking they were trying to resurrect Beetlejuice. Say it three times and he appears....  :laugh:

spacer.png