The Southwold Railway - 4mm - 00n3

Lewis Cree

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of starting to model the Southwold Railway again, in 00n3. 

After holidaying in Southwold for the past 26 years, it was only a matter of time before I stumbled across the history of the Railway, and naturally as a Railway modeller, I just had to model it. 

Along with building up the full fleet of rolling stock, I am in the process of planning a layout, featuring a part of the line that was the junction that joined the main line to the Harbour branch. And here I shall hopfully keep you updated on its progress and construction.

Incidentally, does anybody else model the Southwold Railway at all? It doesn't seem to be a Railway that gets modelled greatly. 

C8B81FB5-3D04-496D-8F17-302A22A26092.jpeg

628319DA-167B-4123-9FBE-BB60FF81773C.jpeg

5A30C1E6-30C9-46C8-A6F3-676A4C7E5478.jpeg

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 16

• Lewis Cree changed the title to The Southwold Railway - 4mm - 00n3
4 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Presume you know of Peter Kazer's work?

Has he done the 7mm stuff? I think I've seen his Blythburgh layout. 

Would love to see more of his layouts but have only seen a few photos of his Southwold modelling.  

• RMweb Premium

I've been interested in the Southwold Railway since I was young, holidaying at Walberswick in the 50s/early '60s.  I found Walberswick Station not far from the farm we got our milk from, and we frequently walked into Southwold along the railway route, diverting across the golf course, and also along the harbour branch route.  I still have the two sets of humorous postcards originally dating from the '20s.  Mymodelling project is based elsewhere but I look forward to seeing more of your layout.

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I've been interested in the Southwold Railway since I was young, holidaying at Walberswick in the 50s/early '60s.  I found Walberswick Station not far from the farm we got our milk from, and we frequently walked into Southwold along the railway route, diverting across the golf course, and also along the harbour branch route.  I still have the two sets of humorous postcards originally dating from the '20s.  Mymodelling project is based elsewhere but I look forward to seeing more of your layout.

Hi Pete,

Sounds like lots of happy memories! 
I presume even by that time, there was not much evidence of the Railway being there, apart from the trackbed remnants, the shed at Blythburgh and a few of the bridges?
That's excellent, what era/region are you modelling? 
Thank you, I hope the updates of my modelling of the railway will keep everyone interested! 

Edited by Lewis Cree

I went to Southwold once, in 1994. I was on foot, managed to find some of the trackbed. Then, I went to the museum "only open in the afternoon" said the person there. "But I'm going to a wedding this afternoon" I said! She let me in - there can't have been that many weddings that afternoon - she probably was aware of it!

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, ianb3174 said:

Came across this a while back. http://eveleighcreations.com/southwold-railway/

I did a while back too!

They look really good, not sure I wouldhave the patience to model all the stock that small though....but then again you could probably model the whole of the line to scale inside a small church hall! 

• Agree 1

This was the progress I have made on the first loco 'No.1 Southwold'. Albeit not finished.
The other locos, 'No.2 Blyth' and 'No.3 Halesworth' were of a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement.
'No.4 Wenhaston' was an 0-6-2 wheel arrangement.
The loco kits are white metal and are sourced from Golden Arrow Models.
I first built this when I was around 16, but have recently stripped it back to the metal, and rebuilt it. I also went down the route of adding 3D rivet transfers, as I felt it gave the model a bit more of a prototypical look. 

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

• Like 10

Currently re-doing the transfers on my 6 wheel MOY wagons.

MOY coal merchants provided the Railway initially with 3 wagons. Which meant the Southwold was probably the only Narrow Gauge Railway in the country to have private owner wagons. 
It's been brought to my attention that the lettering on Wagons 1507, 1508, 1509 was placed differently than on Wagons 1510 and 1511.
Wagon 1507 is now correct. 1508 needs to be re-arranged the same way.

IMG_2236.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of progress on the Coach balconies. These had a very attractive style of safety rail, with a safety chain across the gap.

The coaches had manually operated brakes, with a brake handle at one end of each coach. 

Three coaches (No.1, No.3, No.5) had brake handles at the Southwold end of the Coach, and the other three (No.2, No.4, No.6) had brake handles at the Halesworth ends.

Presumably this was so the guard was able to apply the brakes on two coaches simultaneously, without having to walk through the carriage to reach the other brake handle. 

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2554.PNG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1