Beyer, Peacock and Company Built Class 25/3

Fredo

Hi, were the 25/3’s built by Beyer Peacock (eg D7646) fitted with dual brakes when new or just Vacuum braked. I am pretty sure they didn’t have steam heat boilers but can someone just confirm. Thanks Fred

Vacuum braked and chosen ones dual braked on works visits. Not all ended up dual braked. Not boiler fitted but may have had steam heat through pipes fitted when new.....gradually removed (see the hole in the buffer beam under where the air pipe is, or not, depending on brake status)

Derby Sulzers site is the go to place for decent gen on everything class 25 (and 24's, peaks etc)

Regards

Guy

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Quite a few of the Beyer Peacock examples were early candidates for dual braking, several of them got dual brake fitted still with GSYP. All had through steam pipes when new.

Al Taylor

On 07/03/2021 at 22:23, 45125 said:

Quite a few of the Beyer Peacock examples were early candidates for dual braking, several of them got dual brake fitted still with GSYP. All had through steam pipes when new.

Al Taylor

Yes indeed, here's Beyer Peacock's last-ever locomotive inside Willesden depot on 13th October 1973 in virtually original condition, even including D prefix, and a BR emblem which the engine coolant overspill hadn't managed to strip off - and dual-braked, check out the bufferbeam pipework (sorry it's a bit fuzzy). It's even pretty clean! By this date BR Works were turning out diesels with TOPS numbers - sadly D7659 didn't last long enough to acquire 25309 still in GSYP livery, none did but 7600 must have come closest as it was seen at Crewe Works with 25250 chalked on its cabside!

365192618_731013_D7659Willesden.jpg.2392002890299428fdcc3d4fd3edc5b0.jpg

• Like 6

On 08/03/2021 at 13:01, Max Legroom said:

I've heard it said that Beyer Peacock had a reputation for excellent build quality so I've often wondered how the Beyer Peacock batch compared to the Derby built versions.

That seems to be true, in his book 'British Rail Fleet Survey 4 - Production Diesel-Electrics Types 1-3' Brian Haresnape says,"This [BP's failure to complete D7660-77] was a thousand pities, because it is generally recognised that the D7624-D7659 batch are the best of all the Class 25s in terms of workmanship and finish."

I now stand well back and await fireworks from supporters of Derby & Darlington Works! :mosking:

5 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

That seems to be true, in his book 'British Rail Fleet Survey 4 - Production Diesel-Electrics Types 1-3' Brian Haresnape says,"This [BP's failure to complete D7660-77] was a thousand pities, because it is generally recognised that the D7624-D7659 batch are the best of all the Class 25s in terms of workmanship and finish."

I now stand well back and await fireworks from supporters of Derby & Darlington Works! :mosking:

The B-P manufactured Class 17s attract the same plaudits.  They (BP) do seem to have been extremely capable of working to drawing.

47 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

The B-P manufactured Class 17s attract the same plaudits.  They (BP) do seem to have been extremely capable of working to drawing.

Another reason the Hymeks are my favourite locos!

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

Another reason the Hymeks are my favourite locos!

The Class 35 “Hymek’s” was the straw that broke the camels back as B-P deliberately under bid for the contract to build them because they had been promised a total build of 400.  The Class 17 “Clayton” debacle didn’t help matters, but it’s noted in a number of topics that B-P’s build quality was almost second to none.