Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I need to give some careful thought to the shape of the scenery on the other side of the bridge as well.  Right now there's a pretty abrupt drop-off immediately behind the signal wire posts.  There needs to be a fence there, and there isn't enough groundwork for one as it is right now.  Some mulling is required :)  Any suggestions very welcome!

• RMweb Gold

A big retaining wall from river level, with a parapet a couple of feet above track level, maybe?

The railway was obviously built on an artificial embankment at that point, so it would need something to hold it up and protect it from the river erosion.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

That sounds a good start Al.  I was actually thinking of something along those lines, maybe extending the wing wall of the bridge on that side.  I'll have to come up with some sketches I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is what I meant when I mentioned putting some drain covers between the tracks.  I've no idea if there would have been a drainage system there, but thought it might be a neat little detail to add regardless.  Any thoughts?  If yes, which one should I use?  They would get set into the ballast, clearly.  6385 is standing next to where the platform will be.

image.png.1b5a34955bb85c9eb1da1df2fc8ba925.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And here's that cluster of cranks fitted in place.  Now I have to make another one for the nearer side of the tracks.  Not sure what the proper collective noun is for cranks; a cluster?  A curmudgeon?  And as for rods, well ...

image.png.a4e9ab3ed531189c0a12dc06cf8eabae.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

This is what I meant when I mentioned putting some drain covers between the tracks.  I've no idea if there would have been a drainage system there, but thought it might be a neat little detail to add regardless.  Any thoughts?  If yes, which one should I use?  They would get set into the ballast, clearly.  6385 is standing next to where the platform will be.

IMG20210808142616.jpg.5fb01b51de8b765569f86a589c16605a.jpg

Hi Graham,

Impressive work so far. I am another very much avoiding the dreaded point rodding!  

I think with drains cover in the 6' you're better off with grills. Although not all stations seemed to have drains, the GWSR drainage blog shows some good images, albeit rarely with the lids on. There are some pictures of the blog linked, the cover is in seen to one side in the pictures of them working at Toddington.

https://draingang.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-drains-work-road-signs-dont.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that's a really useful link.  I do have some grills, but they're a bit smaller than the covers in my photo - about 18 inches long.  The grills at Toddington look bigger than that, but I think I might use my grills anyway.  I'll post a photo of them in situ tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

One of the many things that I like about this hobby is the variety.  If one task starts to get a little tedious, then there are always lots of others that you can turn to.  For me, point rodding and ballasting seem to have lost a touch of their glamour (!) today, so I thought I'd turn my attention back to the engine shed.  And thus I've made a start on adding the guttering.  These are the standard issue Ratio items, with Railmatch dark stone paint.

Unfortunately, the more I look at the engine shed the more things I see that I don't like about it.  I can see a cycle of rebuilds in my future...

image.png.92fbfcad9749d9f6e6cc6139d7dd4746.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Unfortunately, the more I look at the engine shed the more things I see that I don't like about it.  I can see a cycle of rebuilds in my future...

Exactly what we were saying here last week. @KNP says: 'Park and come back another day with fresh eyes'.

I've got the same thing going on too. The canal boat was my first scratch build. Done as a test to assure me I was up to the job. There are meant to be a few on the Bovey Tor canal, with this being the first. Now I'm thinking that will be replaced with another first. :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I have had similar problems with the station building for Aston on Clun, it's meant to be a crib of Vowchurch but fitted with a canopy.

It languished for a few months because I thought I had dropped a clanger with it. 

I made some modifications in a sudden bout of enthusiasm and then ground to a halt again because I wasn't convinced by the shade of dark stone paint. 

Now that I have the paint sorted, it awaits finishing as the landforms and track are more of a priority.

You'll get there - I have to keep telling myself that!

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem with it, I think of it more as a challenge than anything else.  This was the first thing I ever (more or less) scratch built, and it was certainly a steep learning curve.  I'm fairly pleased with the result, but see lots of elements of it that I could have done better.  I'm sure I'll build it again at some point, and it will be better than this one - but there will still be bits I look at after and think to myself, "Hmm.  Should have done that part differently".

I blame the incredibly high standards of some of the modelling on this site - gives lesser mortals like me something to aim at!  I could mention @KNP, @Alister_G, @checkrail, and many many others.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That's very kind of you Graham, but the reality is I have similar feelings about my own modelling - and I think that's true for all of us.

There are always things you can look at and regret doing in a certain way, or things that you revisit or even rip up and start again.

Al.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Keeping up the tradition of my scattergun approach to modelling, I took a few minutes break from work today to make a start on building some drain covers for the 6 foot.  I got some nice manhole covers and drain grills from Wizard Models.  Firstly glued the grills onto some thick card to represent the concrete drain, and then a quick splash of flat black to (a) prime the metal, and (b) simulate the deepest, darkest recesses of the drain - mwuhahaha!

image.png.f022f0d240f073ef046d2988570c5c95.png 

image.png.7859db5f91b9bea690203d5b5f71ce48.png 

Next I'll paint the bases to look like cement, drybrush the grills themselves, and then pop them into place before ballasting around them.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I'm slowly making progress with the guttering on the engine shed.  The downpipes will mask the joint between the front and side walls quite nicely (as planned, would you believe!)  Next step is to paint it, and then it can be fixed in place.

image.png.62df5f0fe0b4557e68a62d4ecf147288.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11