Lenz SET100 power supply

Railpassion

• RMweb Gold

The SET100 has been replaced by the SET101 (LZV200 + LH101) but both have the same options - 3A or 5A transformers for which Lenz recommend their TR100 and TR150 respectively. 

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I would avoid a transformer with it's AC output.

Since I swapped from a Lenz transformer to a regulated DC power supply for my LZV100, I've had less unexplained occurrences. I put it down to the transformer/AC supply passing through any cr&p from the mains.

First item on the power input side within the Lenz (and quite a few other systems) is a bridge rectifier converting it to DC anyway.

SMPS are cheaper and more efficient but there are three issues you need to be aware of.

Feeding DC into a bridge rectifier means the bridge needs to be rated for the 100% duty cycle through only two of the diodes.

You need to choose a higher voltage SMPS that the RMS voltage of the transformer. Using a 12V SMPS to replace a 12V transformer may result in disappointment :(

SMPS will cut out very quickly in the face of an overload, compared to a transformer. The command station/booster design needs to take this into account to avoid having the plug pulled, so to speak.