When you don't apply the handbrake...

• RMweb Premium

Train goes into emergency brake (about 4:30).

Spot the damaged end doors as it moves off.. 9.35 isn't good

Edited by newbryford
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

And a Juice Train at 14:55!

Never mind not putting the handbrake on, I would have thought an auto transmission in ‘park’ or a manual in any gear would have been enough to hold a car in that situation. I wonder what caused it to go into emergency - that might have some effect on the insurance claim!

As noted, handbrake or not is irrelevant given they would have all been in park, and thus more a reflection that the metal treads they are sitting on didn't provide enough friction.

More like the risk of not using tie downs.

• Like 1

I think the sudden application of the emergency brake caused a somewhat large jolt as the brake application propagated down the train, and it was probably this that jerked the cars free.  I have experienced the odd rough stop even on a passenger train when the driver has been a bit careless with the brake application, but I expect a sudden brake application on a freight train would be worse!

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Titan said:

I think the sudden application of the emergency brake caused a somewhat large jolt as the brake application propagated down the train, and it was probably this that jerked the cars free.  I have experienced the odd rough stop even on a passenger train when the driver has been a bit careless with the brake application, but I expect a sudden brake application on a freight train would be worse!

Especially when it's up to 2 miles long!

There are a couple of other videos of similar occurrences with shifted cars in autoracks.

Modern autoracks don't use tiedowns, they use wheel chocks.  Tiedowns are specific to one make of car, wheel chocks can be adapted to any manufacturers vehicle, so are preferred.  The railroads and auto manufacturers converted to chocks years ago.

It really doesn't matter why the train went into emergency as far as the lading damage claim goes.

There was only one model of car shipped in the Vert-a-pac cars, the Chevy Vega.  The railcar wasn't tall enough or wide enough to accommodate most other models.  They were chained in by necessity so they would not have shifted as easily.

• Informative/Useful 4

And to think we all derided Francis Webb's opposition to continuous brakes.  It wouldn't have happened with an LNWR 0-8-0 hauling it and a 20ton brake van at the back.

• Funny 3

On 08/04/2021 at 04:37, dave1905 said:

If you were still are railroading with 1800's era technology you probably wouldn't don't have autoracks.

Just made that UK-specific for you, Dave. ;) :mosking:

As we still have a 19th Century loading gauge, that is another reason we don't have autoracks. Or double-stack container trains either - heck, they had to invent new wagons with midget wheels on them just to get single high-cube boxes inside the loading gauge!!! :no:

• Agree 2