Ex-NER and LNER 6 wheel coaches?

I have some old coaches in German outline that I wish to convert to LNER, but they have six wheels instead of the 4 + 4 boogies, so I'm wondering if LNER ever had coaches with six wheels. If NER never made any, would LNER in the same area run some on a smaller line during WW2?

I can't help with NER or GNR as I don't know where to find the information.  If I find a useful website I'll post it.

But there is some useful information on GER carriages here.

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages

Also try the LNER Encyclopaedia and Forum. Lots of information on there.

https://www.lner.info/

And Steve Banks website has a lot of information on LNER coaches with some earlier types.

https://www.steve-banks.org/

Jason

• Like 1

I just got my posts approved at the lner.info forum, but googling the subject turns up information that seem to say both yes and no, so I'm still a bit confused. I need to dig deeper.

My problem, I think, is that most coaches were replaced by newer models before WW2. If so, then it becomes a less plausible coach, and not worth the trouble trying to make... unless it might have been kept in use in low traffic areas or by companies that wanted something simple for their workers... or maybe for some train crews working on improving the track or something.

I will read up on the GER website.

• RMweb Gold

The former GER lines were some of the last to still have 6 wheelers. The NER were relatively ahead with bogie stock - so much so, the LNER sent some of them to the GE section to replace 4 and 6 wheelers!

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine could remember travelling between Doncaster and Leeds in an "all stations stopping" train in some old Great Northern Railway six wheel carriages just after the end of the war, so there were certainly some around then.

• Like 1

When I delved into this a few years ago, I found plenty of evidence of ex-GER six-wheelers in use on rural lines up to WW2, and if I remember rightly some that were made into auto-sets that dragged on into the very early 1950s. There were also, I think, although my memory may be faulty, some awful ex-GER low-roof six-wheeler bug-boxes in use on trains in East London until cWW2, the North Woolwich route was one IIRC.

The North Sunderland Rly (nominally independent but essentially a satrap of the LNER and latterly BR) owned and used a pair of GER 6w coaches alongside an NER 4w saloon until closure in 1951. 

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

The North Sunderland Rly (nominally independent but essentially a satrap of the LNER and latterly BR) owned and used a pair of GER 6w coaches alongside an NER 4w saloon until closure in 1951. 

Oil lit too, or, rather, unlit, as the line's management were concerned about the fire risk. Must have been super inviting on a Northumberland winter evening/morning. 

• Like 2