ViTrains 37 wheel flanges - is this normal

I have been trying to sort out a few problems with my ViTrains 37 this morning. It is a traction tyred version bought second hand from Hattons. I have noticed that one of the wheels has a very different flange to the other 11 (and indeed to any other wheels I have seen before). Can anyone suggest why? image.png.3ad0355312e310e28b1ceb7b97b33e2e.pngimage.png.80646d0d9fdcd0f913acb1d05871d533.png 

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Was it brought recently then I would return it.

No it wasn't. When it runs it's excellent, but it's been having a little trouble with short circuits (decoder touching PCB - my fault) and pickups recently (they're an odd design too - but at least all the same as each other). It was only on taking it apart that I noticed the strange flange.

17 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

No it wasn't. When it runs it's excellent, but it's been having a little trouble with short circuits (decoder touching PCB - my fault) and pickups recently (they're an odd design too - but at least all the same as each other). It was only on taking it apart that I noticed the strange flange.

then I guess trying to obtain a spare replacement is only option but if it was running fine before I would leave it.

• Like 1

Based on the tread profile, that wheel is intended to carry a traction tyre. Which is odd, because I thought that VITrains locos had 8-wheel drive with no tyres.

Could a previous owner have swapped something?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, naugytrax said:

Based on the tread profile, that wheel is intended to carry a traction tyre. Which is odd, because I thought that VITrains locos had 8-wheel drive with no tyres.

Could a previous owner have swapped something?

The wheel that does have a traction tyre (top left in top photo) has a normal looking flange though, rather than that weird, thick, almost semi circular profile the bottom right wheel has. Very strange.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The first few batches of Vitrains 37s had traction tyres, the later ones did not and neither did the 47s. The traction tyres are not needed and I remember getting spares and replacing them. I got the complete axel as a spare. Unfortnately, I am not sure where the ones I removed are otherwise you could have them. I do recall seeing someone replace them with other tyres for re gauging to EM so it is definitely possible.

Edited by BR Blue
More information added

Could be a manufacturing fault which may explain why Hattons had it as secondhand. I'm not familiar with V trains chassis but would it help running if you fitted in place of the centre axle so it's not leading into pointwork etc?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

The bottom right of the top photo, which is bottom left in the middle photo.

I see what you mean. Looks like either a manufacturing error, or the wheel has been changed for some reason by a previous owner.

• Agree 1