Missenden Railway Modellers back at the Abbey - Spring 2024 is done

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I thought a bit of an update was due.

The Summer retreat took place during one of the hotter weeks of 2022 but the modelling rooms stayed largely cool and productive. As well as working on our own projects supported by some of our regular tutors we had a fascinating evening talk from David Townend of McKinley Railway about his  massive and complex model railway project simulating operations and displaying typical trains from the 1950s to 1970s.

The Autumn Weekend will take place from 4-6 November. There are still some places available on courses, but there is no longer any accommodation available at the Abbey.

The non-resident places include everything except B&B.

Courses are:

• 7mm Loco Construction
  • 4mm Loco Construction
  • Advanced Semaphore Signals
  • DCC Sound & Lights
  • Design for 3D Printing
  • Track Building
  • Weathering

Bookings are open for the Spring Weekend 3 - 5 March 2023. This is the 6th year of unchanged prices and the following courses will be available:

• 4mm and smaller kit building
  • 7mm and larger kit building
  • Backscenes and Scenery
  • Painting & Lining
  • Structure Modelling
  • Weathering

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/

https://mrmbookings.org.uk/

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Gilbert, I would be interested in the Design for 3d printing course this coming November but I can’t find any information on the website regarding pre-requisites.

What would I need to bring with me (e.g. do I need a laptop pre-loaded with design software), or is everything provided?

PS I think the dates should be 4th - 6th November?

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Hi @Gilbert, I would be interested in the Design for 3d printing course this coming November but I can’t find any information on the website regarding pre-requisites.

What would I need to bring with me (e.g. do I need a laptop pre-loaded with design software), or is everything provided?

PS I think the dates should be 4th - 6th November?

Thanks  for the interest.

For most courses we do provide a downloadable "tool list" on the website but you're correct we don't have one for the Design for 3D course.

Rather than do this via me on RMweb can I suggest you send the query to the contact page: https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/

One of us  will ensure the query goes to Justin Newitt straight away - and thanks again - you've also made me find a broken link to Justin's profile on our website.

Chris Hopper

PS I've corrected the dates. I'm not sure what happened there!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks  for the interest.

For most courses we do provide a downloadable "tool list" on the website but you're correct we don't have one for the Design for 3D course.

Rather than do this via me on RMweb can I suggest you send the query to the contact page: https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/

One of us  will ensure the query goes to Justin Newitt straight away - and thanks again - you've also made me find a broken link to Justin's profile on our website.

Chris Hopper

PS I've corrected the dates. I'm not sure what happened there!

Thanks - I’ve done as you suggest.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My wife has been in discussion with your team over the last few weeks and you were very accomodating and managed to get me a place on the non-residential 4mm loco kit building course in March!! Really looking forward to it and have booked accomodation nearby. Best Christmas gift ever so thank you for making happen!

See you all in March!!!

Ian Lancaster

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

My wife has been in discussion with your team over the last few weeks and you were very accomodating and managed to get me a place on the non-residential 4mm loco kit building course in March!! Really looking forward to it and have booked accomodation nearby. Best Christmas gift ever so thank you for making happen!

See you all in March!!!

Ian Lancaster

Thanks Ian - I look forward to seeing you - make sure you drop in to the Weathering room.

Chris Hopper

• Like 1

• Gilbert changed the title to Missenden Railway Modellers back at the Abbey - Spring 2023 Onwards
  • RMweb Gold

I'm just back from the Spring Weekend at Missenden.....a lot of railway modellers had a good time..helped by excellent food and a well-stocked bar.

I ran the weathering room with 4 complete airbrushing beginners using our equipment and lots of others in other rooms drawing on the knowedge and experience of tutors such as Tony Gee and Jerry Clifford - who frequent RMweb - plus many others including Ian Rathbone and Paul Bambrick.

Some of my photos here - click on the photo for a link...

Chris Hopper

Missenden Railway Modellers Spring 2023

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I cant say thank you enough to the Missenden team who helped and guided us for the weekend. I was in the 4mm construction group and it was a great weekend. Excellent food, venue, expert tutors and attendees. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly and i hope to get the chance to go again!! Managed to construct most of a rolling chassis for an Alan Gibson Jubilee with a version of CSB thanks to Tony!!

20230305_143746.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

I cant say thank you enough to the Missenden team who helped and guided us for the weekend. I was in the 4mm construction group and it was a great weekend. Excellent food, venue, expert tutors and attendees. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly and i hope to get the chance to go again!! Managed to construct most of a rolling chassis for an Alan Gibson Jubilee with a version of CSB thanks to Tony!!

20230305_143746.jpg

I was very impressed by your Jubilee and to be fair to you, the amount of guidance and help that you needed was pretty small.

It is rare for me to come away from Missenden without learning something new myself and this weekend, it was your use of the hornblocks running directly in the frames, which seemed to work really well.

It was an excellent weekend and many thanks to all those who came along and made it such an enjoyable couple of days. There isn't much better in the hobby than spending a couple of days with a bunch of good people, getting in some concentrated modelling time, away from all the distractions of "real life". Good modelling, good company, in good surroundings, with plenty of good food and a bar. Not much to dislike about that really!

Best wishes and I hope to see the loco finished and running some time.

Tony Gee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Ian - thanks for your kind words.

It's appreciated very much by those of us who organise and tutor.

Chris Hopper

• Like 1

• Gilbert changed the title to Missenden Railway Modellers back at the Abbey - Autumn 2023 Course booking open
  • RMweb Gold

Our Autumn course booking is now open and places are going quickly - especially residential slots with over 50% of bedrooms taken.

This time we have the following courses on offer. RMwebbers may recognise a few familiar faces among the tutors:

• 7mm Loco Construction - Kevin Wilson
  • 4mm Loco Construction - Tony Gee and Jerry Clifford
  • Semaphore Signals - Karl Crowther
  • Radio Control for Model Railways- a new course with Giles Favell
  • Beginners' Electronics - Christopher Langdon using MERG CBUS kits
  • Track Building and Laying- Norman Solomon - his last course at Missenden
  • Weathering - Chris Hopper - including both airbrush and non-airbrush weathering

As usual at the Autumn weekend we will offer both residential and non-residential places, with modellers arriving on the Friday evening in time for dinner and to setup for a weekend of practical modelling. Modellers can start work after dinner on the Friday, and the modelling continues until Sunday afternoon, interspersed with tea/coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as a number of demos and talks given by tutors and other attendees. There is also plenty of opportunity to visit other modelling rooms to see what different groups are doing. There is a licensed bar and of course the bedrooms for those who have opted to stay at the Abbey.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/autumn-weekend/

Chris H

• Gilbert changed the title to Missenden Railway Modellers back at the Abbey - Spring 2024 is done
  • RMweb Gold

The Spring 2024 course is behind us and we are looking forward to our Summer retreat (28.7-3.8) and Autumn weekend  (4-6.10). but we are just finalising Autumn courses due to building works affecting teaching room availability at the Abbey) If you have any enquiries feel free to message me.

My photos from the weekend are here....obviously a bit weathering heavy...but ...click on Tim...

Missenden Spring 2024

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Back home from the spring 2024 course. Thank you organising team and tutors. I wanted to come away with two mental barriers broken, not attempting metal kits and white metal soldering. Both broken over a very enjoyable, if tiring, weekend with congenial company. 

Edited by john new
Corrected punctuation error.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone reading this know the name of the deceased modeller whose items were brought in? Two fold request, (1) we were asked to donate to Exeter Hospice as payment for what we picked up and it would be a nice touch when I do so to be able to say - Donation in memory of ????? & (2) one of the items I took on was a part finished road lorry kit again it would be nice to add his* surname onto the owner name panel above the cab. More than happy for any response to be by PM rather than an open reply here.

I pretty much finished the kit over the weekend (but it isn’t yet painted) which triggered the thought about what name to go on the owner panel.

* I am assuming a his.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john new said:

Does anyone reading this know the name of the deceased modeller whose items were brought in?

I'd be interested as well - I believe I'm correct in saying that the name of the person who bought the items in was "Byron", though I don't recall if he ever mentioned the name of the deceased.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'd be interested as well - I believe I'm correct in saying that the name of the person who bought the items in was "Byron", though I don't recall if he ever mentioned the name of the deceased.

I'm on the case.....

Chris H

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It all seems a bit subversive to me, in the second photo someone is reading the instructions whilst building a loco kit, it'll never catch on!

Mike.

We'll find out who it was and issue a life ban.....would that suffice?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3