Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Testors Dullcote

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment and while I’m not asking anyone to reveal their sources - other than by private message, but has anyone found an alternative product that gives a similar finish? 

• RMweb Gold

Testors Dullcote is no longer exported from the USA. 

In November 2019 Testors withdrew the product completely. This caused a fuss in the USA and their revised plan was to withdraw international sales. The two UK wholesalers, and thus the traders, received the last delivery in December 2019. It sold out virtually instantly.

I suspect it won’t be long before it’s dropped altogether as it’s made of evil anti planet solvents.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, railroadbill said:

I've only got 2 1/2 cans left, it was going to be the end of modelling as I know it. 

Seriously, try a can of Games Workshop "Purity Seal"  matt varnish, seems to dry nice and matt. Worth a go.

They changed the formula a few years ago in a yellow/gold can. Utter rubbish dries with white cast.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Always best to test thoroughly before using of course. All I would say about the Games Workshop spray can is that I ended up using  it on a largish aircraft model over Tamiya paint and it gave a very smooth matt finish with no bloom at all.  Looked as good as Dullcote actually.  It was sprayed on a warm sunny day with low humidity though. 

Advantage of Dullcote was that you could use it in less than perfect spraying conditions and still get away with it.

Vallejo 70.520  varnish, which is acrylic, dries very matt,  good for brushing small areas, but as it's in a bottle would need an airbrush to  spray (which works well).

Has anyone tried Tamiya TS-80 flat varnish at all?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Metr0Land said:

I've switched to using The Army Painter matt varnish in spray cans (they're quite large by comparison with Dullcote but any port etc...)

I agree - Halfords Matt Lacquer is also worth a look...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1