DCC fitted 009 loco Heljan or Bachmann which to buy?

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

One more loco wanted for the 009 element on "Hawkesbury"................advice please.

I've got a Bachmann Baldwin and want something different - the new Bachmann "Double Fairlies" look great but are too big for my layout so its either a new Hunslet (open cab version) or a Heljan "Baldwin" which I quite like but the constant reporting of running issues and poor running over Peco points (mine are electro frog) worries me and once DCC (running not sound) is fitted they aren't cheap if they have running issues.

Advice thoughts please.

Thanks 

2 photos attached to show the development of the 009 "layout" .......... very much a work in progress but the basics are there and "finalised" now.

IMG_1406.JPG.a8bbacb4718f5acf93c2e3be18d1a67a.JPGIMG_1405.JPG.f18fd3ed5e98ead9f0cf60cddf71aa1c.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• halsey changed the title to DCC fitted 009 loco Heljan or Bachmann which to buy?
  • RMweb Premium

I've not seen, or experienced, any issues with the Heljan Baldwin. It's a different beast to their previous model, the Manning Wardle.

But I think a quarry Hunslet would go better with those slate wagons.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks that's the way I was "leaning" anyway for the same reason(s) of slate (and the canal wharf)

I will only want one more 009 loco so I wanted to sound out other opinions................

Do you think the smaller chassis will be OK running over multiple turnouts?

On the main OO layout I have avoided 0-4-0 configurations

J

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, halsey said:

Do you think the smaller chassis will be OK running over multiple turnouts?

It looks like all your frogs are live, so you should have no problems. Most of my locos are 4 wheelers and run just fine.

• RMweb Premium

Is the Baldwin that much shorter than the Fairlie?

Personally, I'd look at the Hunslet, or if you can find one, there's Bachmann's Thomas range repainted and de-faced. There are a number of threads here that show what can be done with them.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hunslet now ordered from TMC with DCC fitted, crew and "light" weathered.

now I've got to wait............................. :mellow:

thanks for the input it helped me push the right button!

J

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, halsey said:

Hunslet now ordered from TMC with DCC fitted, crew and "light" weathered.

now I've got to wait............................. :mellow:

That's the right choice for that layout (nice scene!) I'd say rather than some improbable locos. I know it'll be a wait but I reckon "this time next year you'll feel like a millionaire halsey"* as they really are quite superb having had a play with the EPs.

*to misquote Delboy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

So not much different, and I suspect, nowhere near as high or wide. Although it "looks" big, the Fairlies aren't all that big except perhaps in length, the Fessie's loading gauge sees to that! I'd have said a Fairlie would suit that layout, though I'd suggest one of the Fourdees Hunslets and get someone to fit the DCC gubbins for you!

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't appreciated the Hunslet wait was so long so I have ordered another but different Baldwin to keep me going for now 

I didn't know about Fourdees so thanks for that but they are a bit too much for my budget esp with DCC fitted.

Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

So not much different, and I suspect, nowhere near as high or wide. Although it "looks" big, the Fairlies aren't all that big except perhaps in length, the Fessie's loading gauge sees to that! I'd have said a Fairlie would suit that layout

Personally I always find a Fairlie to look wrong on a layout if it plainly is not Festuiniog-ish. The smallness caused by the loading gauge can cause issues visually when mixing stock on a 009 layout - my solution previously was to have smaller loading gauge locos and stock working to/and a quarry to the main depot and larger locos then working to an tipping exhange point with the standard gauge.

Edited by Butler Henderson
Typos
  • Informative/Useful 1