Hacking Hornby, Peco and Ratio - can anything be produced for the LNWR?

Probably the most enjoyment I've had over the last year or so modelling was putting together the Ratio GWR Iron Mink kit, and I realise that I'm probably a little less fastidious about accuracy than I thought I was :)

I've heard frequently that the venerable ratio GWR 6 wheelers can be hacked around to form a number of approximate pre-group carriages. I'm blessed to have come across @James Harrison's blog showing more - Hornby Clerestories and Caledonians to GCR coaches, Triang dock shunters to finely detailed Great Central saddle tanks. I'm in the throes of planning a terminus to fiddle-yard pre-group layout, and considering my options. I think it probably makes sense to stick with the LB&SCR being my home territory and local railway, but I am craving what the LNWR can offer in terms of interesting designs and lovely contrasting rolling stock.

I appreciate that the Ratio Arc Roof carriages are 'close enough' with decent bogies and wheels - but what else? Can anything be done with these widely available kits as repaints and cut-and-shuts rather than out-and-out scratchbuilds?

Edited by Lacathedrale

• Lacathedrale changed the title to Hacking Hornby, Peco and Ratio - can anything be produced for the LNWR?
  • RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

an LNWR service at an LBSC station!

You'll be wanting to model the Sunny South Express then

1981762852_LNWRTitanatBrighton1909.PNG.0ac7f65c74dc74c4a842046a2446df7e.PNG

1450093695_LBSCRLNWRExpress.jpg.1b837e5b9c9dfbb1e8b1e616c677c28d.jpg

It was often hauled on the LBSC section by an I3 so there are some photos in the LBSCR Atlantic book by Jeremy English

I have spoke to people about having the correct pattern carriages made as kits in the past, but so far this has led nowhere, perhaps more people being interested could change that, the carriages used were narrower than most LNWR stock to meet the restricted loading gauge as the train went into SECR territory

Gary

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The LNWR had a distinct and individual styling to their rolling stock, which is one of the reasons there has been so few rtr models. Even though the LNWR was the largest pre-grouping railway company and its rolling stock being long lived and far travelled, kits and scratchbuild are the only way of achieving what you ‘crave’. 

Brian.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, jamieb said:

Some of the Ratio MR suburban coaches are virtually identical to some LBSC stock.I can't find the exact details right now but have a search on here for starters

The Ratio Midland Suburban All Third makes a good LB & SCR All Third *, after changing bogies and some details. Unfortunately, the other Midland Suburbans do not have enough plain panelled sections to easily cut and shut other types of LB & SCR coaches. A set of Mike King drawings would be of assistance.MikeKingDrawings (1).docx

(*Also good for the Isle of Wight).

All the best

Ray

I seem to recall that the one you mention was a 'good match' and one of the others was 'fairly close' but I can't recall where the article was from!

Found it on the Rowfant Grange website . Cat no.711 the 7 compartment 1st is apparently similar to a coach diagram which was mainly found in block trains.Obviously requires further investigation

Edited by jamieb
Additional information

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2021 at 21:23, Ravenser said:

Ratio do in fact make a range of kits covering late 1890s LNWR corridor stock. Some of those coaches lasted until the mid 1950s

we see surprisingly few of them on layouts , considering how many of the MR Ratio kits we see

They are entirely buildable see here : LNWR coaches part 1  and subsequent posts 

Built 1898-1902; the corridor third was, I believe, the single most numerous type of LNWR corridor carriage. 

Beware that the the LNWR did not abolish second class until 1912 (along with the GWR) so the composite was originally a tri-composite (hence the three lavatories) and the brake third was originally a brake second/third composite; the brake composite was always first/third.

Ratio also do some useful LNWR wagons, though the range has not for many years been quite as useful as when it was first introduced.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2021 at 21:23, Ravenser said:

Ratio do in fact make a range of kits covering late 1890s LNWR corridor stock. Some of those coaches lasted until the mid 1950s

we see surprisingly few of them on layouts , considering how many of the MR Ratio kits we see

They are entirely buildable see here : LNWR coaches part 1  and subsequent posts 

I've always thought it's the livery that puts most people off. It's a difficult livery to paint convincingly.

Having attempted painting it years ago mine ended up in plain LMS crimson. I might have another go at some point. But from fresh kits.

And I do appreciate the roof fittings are probably wrong for the 1940s.  :D

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There is a very wide range of LNWR carriage kits available from Ratio, Wizard, Stevenson Carriages  and London Road Models.

The livery is complex but no worse to do than CR, MR or the early LMS carriages. Ian Rathbone's book shows how to do it properly while MRJ 52 has an detailed article on a slightly different approach that provides a good modelling compromise.

• Informative/Useful 1