EWS Class 37 going past Lee station (from Hoo?) circa 2003-2005: what might it have been?

Lacathedrale

The one defining event for me getting into model railways as an adult was getting off a Networker at Lee station just past Hither Green and being almost blasted off my feet by a burgundy EWS Class 37 powering through on the up line. I didn't take the number down, but in my mind it was something repettiive like 37037 or 37370 - though we are now talking almost twenty years ago so may have been completely different to that.

I have in my possession an old 4mm/ft Class 37 and a set of detailing parts, and I thought it would be fun to try to model this locomotive - but I don't know anything at all about it - not even if it would have had a split headcode or what livery variant it might have been in.

I appreciate this is vague as anything, but if anyone has any clues I would be most grateful.

Yes, the date's a little vague - but the 2003 Platform 5 should be in the right sort of ballpark !

Unfortunately both '037 & '073 were in trainload grey at that date so can be discounted ..... nothing else seems to shout '3' & '7' repeated so I reckon 37.707 or 37.717 would be your best bet : both the right colour but a fair way from their home in Crewe !

• Informative/Useful 1

37037 was apparently sold into preservation in January 2004 and then spent a while operating between Totnes and Buckfastleigh, so that would seem to rule 37037 out

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37037

37073 was apparently cut up in April 2003, so I think that rules 37073 out

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37073

37370 doesn't look very promising either as it doesn't look like in ran much in that period having been allocated to component recovery as early as 2000.

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37370

Could it have been 37057?  

https://www.class37.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=br37057

The caption of the photograph linked to above states "37057 Stabled on Hither Green prior to going to Stewarts Lane prior to working VSOE 1Y46 Vic to Folkstone, 08/05/2003".  It seems to fit your timescale, location and livery.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

37057 was the first loco painted in the livery, so had the original font with EW&S lettering rather than the later EWS. It didn't have the "three beasties" logo which also came later.

I remember it very clearly as it stopped in front of me for about 10 minutes waiting for the road at Didcot just after it was painted, and one of my photos was published in Railway Modeller shortly after.

I’d see if railtec do those instead - Fox transfers in my opinion  are not as good anymore 

Also - Fox EWS red is not a great match for Bachmann red, check and see if fox actually matches Lima red or railtec may be a better option.

Edited by rob D2

23 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Would it have been this time? 1996ish...

image.png.6a3fed95b20102ff74bb189eec41c3b8.png

Credit: flickr somewhere

I hope I can hit the high points with the Lima model I've got. Is it possible to obtain the cantrail stripes and E W & S transfers from somwhere?

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

I had the same thought and agree Railtec now beat everyone, but I had a quick look yesterday and couldn't see anything

Assuming this is all 4mm then this is very straight-forward:

Cantrail lining

4mm-1089: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2074

EW&S & EWS numbers of your choice

4mm-2230: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2750

With the numbers/brandings pack (4mm-2230) you get:

- Your choice of number ready-made so you can apply it in one easy hit, rather than have to try to line up individual digits. Unless you like that sort of thing!

- The number spacing (incl any wonky digits) authentically reproduced per photos of the original loco in both the livery and time period in which it's being modelled.

I've also matched the authentic EWS maroon per the locos. I've seen a reasonable number of renumbered EWS models where - to my eye - the numbers look a little too red and there's an obvious difference between the numbers and the maroon on the rest of the model. I go through excruciating and tedious cycles to make sure that what I put out is as close to the real thing as you'll possibly get and that your models look right.

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2021 at 18:03, Dungrange said:

37037 was apparently sold into preservation in January 2004 and then spent a while operating between Totnes and Buckfastleigh, so that would seem to rule 37037 out

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37037

37073 was apparently cut up in April 2003, so I think that rules 37073 out

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37073

37370 doesn't look very promising either as it doesn't look like in ran much in that period having been allocated to component recovery as early as 2000.

https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37370

Could it have been 37057?  

https://www.class37.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=br37057

The caption of the photograph linked to above states "37057 Stabled on Hither Green prior to going to Stewarts Lane prior to working VSOE 1Y46 Vic to Folkstone, 08/05/2003".  It seems to fit your timescale, location and livery.

Hi All,

Just a line to add to the above post….

There was a time, around the period you mention, when I spent a LOT of time driving 37’s off Hither Green.

37 051, 37 057, 37 109 and 37 114 seemed to be the staple diet for many of the jobs at the time and frankly, I had an amazing amount of fun with these. I even made it to Victoria with 37 109 and the VSOE empties from The Lane!

I think one of my fave stories was when I was summoned from Hither Green to Stone Crossing to rescue a failure.

The failed train was a 1,400t engineers trip working and the 37 on it had boiled dry I thought as it was simply way too heavy for the route on its own. So, off I go with another 37 ( not my idea ) and onto the top of the failure, thinking this is gonna take some driving so as not to blow this one up as well and fail again!

I got the train to Dartford and stopped to drop off a member of staff and then I had an idea, which I think saved the day, thankfully, as everybody played ball.

I was certain that the punishing gradients up the Sidcup loop line would be too much for this one 37 to manage from a standing start at Dartford if the speed dropped too low, and worked out that we really needed to keep moving and would be on full power for the whole journey.

I phoned the controlling Signallers at Ashford IECC and London Bridge and also the shunter at Hither Green Bramdeam sidings, simply requesting that I have green signals ALL THE WAY and MUST NOT BE STOPPED under any circumstances until I reach to stopping point in the yard. To stop would be to fail again and need another 1Z99.

To their credit, and it really wasn’t often I would credit Signallers with anything in those days, they kept me going. One 37 managed that run on full bore, from Dartford Station right up until the stopping point in Hither Green Sidings, at a whopping 15mph!

To say I was impressed was an understatement, it was working so hard that it just hummed, very loudly, but it got there.

There are plenty of anecdotes from working with the older, traditional machines that really made the job interesting as you had to really drive stuff sometimes.

This all died with the arrival of the Class 66.

Best of luck with your project by the way, look forward to seeing some pics if possible….

Cheers,

Shed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 10/12/2021 at 13:58, Shedmaster said:

Hi All,

Just a line to add to the above post….

There was a time, around the period you mention, when I spent a LOT of time driving 37’s off Hither Green.

37 051, 37 057, 37 109 and 37 114 seemed to be the staple diet for many of the jobs at the time and frankly, I had an amazing amount of fun with these. I even made it to Victoria with 37 109 and the VSOE empties from The Lane!

I think one of my fave stories was when I was summoned from Hither Green to Stone Crossing to rescue a failure.

The failed train was a 1,400t engineers trip working and the 37 on it had boiled dry I thought as it was simply way too heavy for the route on its own. So, off I go with another 37 ( not my idea ) and onto the top of the failure, thinking this is gonna take some driving so as not to blow this one up as well and fail again!

I got the train to Dartford and stopped to drop off a member of staff and then I had an idea, which I think saved the day, thankfully, as everybody played ball.

I was certain that the punishing gradients up the Sidcup loop line would be too much for this one 37 to manage from a standing start at Dartford if the speed dropped too low, and worked out that we really needed to keep moving and would be on full power for the whole journey.

I phoned the controlling Signallers at Ashford IECC and London Bridge and also the shunter at Hither Green Bramdeam sidings, simply requesting that I have green signals ALL THE WAY and MUST NOT BE STOPPED under any circumstances until I reach to stopping point in the yard. To stop would be to fail again and need another 1Z99.

To their credit, and it really wasn’t often I would credit Signallers with anything in those days, they kept me going. One 37 managed that run on full bore, from Dartford Station right up until the stopping point in Hither Green Sidings, at a whopping 15mph!

To say I was impressed was an understatement, it was working so hard that it just hummed, very loudly, but it got there.

There are plenty of anecdotes from working with the older, traditional machines that really made the job interesting as you had to really drive stuff sometimes.

This all died with the arrival of the Class 66.

Best of luck with your project by the way, look forward to seeing some pics if possible….

Cheers,

Shed.

Interesting, informative posts like this is why I enjoy RMweb so much. 

Cheers

Steve

(Incidentally I was born in Lee in 1966 and my parents remember the Hither Green crash vividly)

• Like 1

Interesting post from shedmaster.

There didn’t appear that many 37s left by 2003/4 , but those four split box ones seem to linger on.

Somtimes  easy to forget this is like 5 years beyond the 66 deliveries and I guess EWS still needed lots of other traction as well before emerging freight companies stole away much of the work 

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold

IIRC EWS still had some commitments to type 2 and type 3 workings at the time (eg test trains), but then later on entered into agreement with DRS* to hire-out/hire-in locos so they could get rid of remaining locos but still honour commitments.

*I don't think Colas was an option then?

Probably right. I think the 37/4 lingered on as required for things like west highland line sleeper, but once the 67 was cleared , it was just for engineers stuff on the Cambrian ?

probably why I model up to 2002 normally as 

2002 class 58 gone

2003 remaining 47/7 go

2003/4 most 37 go,

2005 remaining 56 go.

beyond 2006 EWS seemed to be 60/66/67 and then come the recesssion most of the 60 went into store