Depot storage tanks options? 70/80s

I’m considering scratch building something like this for my “Eastfieldish” depot- my search didn’t really turn up many alternatives that suited my need of something like the Bach offering but in 4 tank form. What I did find is that you can buy styrene tubes of various diameters complete with various shaped pieces for the ends that would work for the tanks. The rest looks pretty straightforward- a few walls, ladders etc.

M

• RMweb Gold

Just a tad but not overly so.  I did a scale calculation on the tank volume, allowing for the presence of two bottom tank halves in the bunded volume and the walls are high enough for both tanks to rupture and completely empty into the bunded space.

In the final analysis it looks ok to me.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

Too foreign …the top kibri ones at least. The bottom ones too modern . 
Have a look at the knightwing range as well for some …I’ve used a couple of theirs 

Here’s possibly the simplest option of all.

A few old tank wagons, a particularly ancient one on the left, replenished by road tanker delivery (you can just make out the fixed pipes at the top of the domes), not a bund in sight, and plenty of spillage.

Tunbridge Wells West DEMU stabling point, 1974.

Its a pretty poor quality view, but the best I could get from a poor quality print, and I thought the interest value made it worth posting.

366F9722-CC7E-4EDC-9D3B-2A846B912314.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In the late fifties when both the modernisation plan and limited regional autonomy came into being each region chose its own style(s) of loco shed and what they should have. This lead to many similar looking storage tanks of either the upright or horizontal tanks. The WR tended to go with horizontal ones, the NER upright, the LMR a right old mixture, my interest in SR and ScR sheds is limited so I cannot be conclusive enough on what they preferred. The most standardised region seems to have been the ER with its 25000 gallon upright tanks.

1863725299_fueltanks.jpg.3d98e0159a8bdc2bf25bcef32edf256b.jpg

Here are my scratch built ER tanks for my old layout Hanging Hill based on those found at Stratford and at Finsbury Park. 

There are many publications, plus the likes of Flickr with loads of photos of loco sheds. Which ever region you chose look at the style of shed building, the fuel points and the fuel tanks.

100_5465.JPG.9138c6f7ab2253c9869fea0b23dc680a.JPG

My interpretation of a WR tank on my small stabling point Pig Lane WR. Knightwing tank kit provided the parts.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Were depots all supplied by rail, or were road tankers used in some places?

I am assuming that rail supply would mean one or two 4-wheel tankers running to a depot rather frequently, rather than the complete train of bogie wagons we see today running from refineries.

And in any case you couldn't afford to run the tanks dry before replenishing.

I wouldn’t imagine all were supplied by rail, but a lot took fuel in 2 axle TTa - right up to 2013 in the case of the SW depots. The only one I can think of using bogie wagons and , still going incidentally, is Neville hill and Ipswich