BR Diesel locos used as stationary generators at power stations

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I know some BR locos were used as generators at CEGB power stations from time to time. I think 47155 was one, and below is a pic of D54 at Willington power station in 1968.

How many locos were used in this way, which ones were they, and where were they used?

D54 at Willington Power Station.

Pic from https://www.flickr.com/photos/intercitygbrailsphotos/ on flickr.

Would make for an interesting little cameo model scene.

Cheers N

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It seems the song by heavy metal band Judas Priest, ‘Stand by for exciter’ was actually about a Brush 4 being used for this duty at Kingsbury power station….

Dava

Supposed to be the power output of the main generator when being used as an exciter.

Source :- http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=47155

"Whilst in use at the power station the route code was set to '1240' indicating (presumably) the hp output from the 47's main generator"

Loco is still with us as 47815 with ROG

Edited by PhilMortimer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

When I was working on IT system systems related to the electricity industry privatisation, one of the characteristics a power station might have (and would receive  payment for having) was "Black start capability".  Most stations had to connect to the National Grid and draw power to start themselves up.  This meant that if the Grid was also down it had a problem coming back on stream, and this was apparently the problem in the North East of the US/Canada when a series of power stations tripped one after another and their grid fell over like a string of dominoes,and were out for quite some time (and 9 months later there was a spike in the birth rate!). 

It sounds as though the locos were providing this restart function.  However I'm not sure that I understand the problem for the odd power station lacking the ability to start itself, on the assumption that there are others on line that can supply it via the Grid and at least some that can restart from dead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

… this was apparently the problem in the North East of the US/Canada when a series of power stations tripped one after another and their grid fell over like a string of dominoes,and were out for quite some time (and 9 months later there was a spike in the birth rate!).

Apparently that is an urban myth:

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/epidemiology/hanley/bios601/intensity-rate/GenesisOfAMisconception.pdf

Didn’t stop people making songs about it, though:

https://youtu.be/RBjYGu1fpfY

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When I was working on IT system systems related to the electricity industry privatisation, one of the characteristics a power station might have (and would receive  payment for having) was "Black start capability".  Most stations had to connect to the National Grid and draw power to start themselves up.  This meant that if the Grid was also down it had a problem coming back on stream, and this was apparently the problem in the North East of the US/Canada when a series of power stations tripped one after another and their grid fell over like a string of dominoes,and were out for quite some time (and 9 months later there was a spike in the birth rate!). 

It sounds as though the locos were providing this restart function.  However I'm not sure that I understand the problem for the odd power station lacking the ability to start itself, on the assumption that there are others on line that can supply it via the Grid and at least some that can restart from dead.

Sounds plausible to me-maybe a standby generator was out of service for some reason, and the 47 was providing black start capability.

Though it does beg the question why they didn't hire in a temporary generator on a lorry, or have redundant capacity. Maybe temporary generators with that sort of capacity didn't exist then?

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium

The class 47 was used as an exciter. An exciter generates the electricity to create the magnetic field in the main generator. 

23 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I know some BR locos were used as generators at CEGB power stations from time to time. I think 47155 was one, and below is a pic of D54 at Willington power station in 1968.

How many locos were used in this way, which ones were they, and where were they used?

D54 at Willington Power Station.

Pic from https://www.flickr.com/photos/intercitygbrailsphotos/ on flickr.

Would make for an interesting little cameo model scene.

Cheers N

Isn't D54 delivering oil to the power station?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The class 47 was used as an exciter. An exciter generates the electricity to create the magnetic field in the main generator. 

Isn't D54 delivering oil to the power station?

Apparently not, according to the Flickr caption. There are cables coming out from the loco.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

Hi Jim

Thanks, I found it earlier today and was going to post "Every day on RMweb is a school day" :imsohappy:

I knew about the 47 at West Thurrock but didn't know about D54 at Willington.

On 17/12/2021 at 11:43, luckymucklebackit said:

generator.JPG.ad6dc6e8649b6bee882e6db7003e92ea.JPG

47155 at CEGB West Thurrock Power Station, in use as a stationary generator set, having been adapted to excite a turbo alternator following a serious fault on an auxiliary generator at the power station

Jim

I thought that it had just been left overnight in a siding in Liverpool

• Funny 10