Height of Bachmann Class 08 Shunter

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks, my boxfile layout has limited headroom (needed for structural integrity) and my delight at picking up a Hornby Railroad Class 08 for a song at an exhibition was short-lived as it was too tall for the layout. All other locos and rolling stock are OK.

I’m eyeing up a Bachmann example on a well known auction site, but don’t want a repeat of the above. I know that Hornby RR can be considerable over scale (i.e. Caley Pug). 

Would some kind soul please share the height measurements of their Bachmann 08? From the top of the rail head to the top of the cab? 

Many thanks in advance. 

5F75645B-133C-41B9-8612-39B13654D096.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andrew D said:

Would some kind soul please share the height measurements of their Bachmann 08? From the top of the rail head to the top of the cab? 

Andrew,

I measured my Bachmann Class 08s, and the height to the top of the protrusion (roof door?) on the cab is 51mm (from top of rail).

As I have a pair of Class 08s, I placed them on a 3-track wide section of the layout with the 08s on the outer tracks. I then placed a ruler across the cabs and measured down to the centre track. I therefore should be accurate.

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ISW said:

Andrew,

I measured my Bachmann Class 08s, and the height to the top of the protrusion (roof door?) on the cab is 51mm (from top of rail).

As I have a pair of Class 08s, I placed them on a 3-track wide section of the layout with the 08s on the outer tracks. I then placed a ruler across the cabs and measured down to the centre track. I therefore should be accurate.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Ian, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar, thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I've checked against my trusty Mainline 03 and it's about the same (49mm), and well below the 55mm clearance that I have. I can only come to the conclusion that the Hornby RailRoad Class 08 is over scale. Looks like mine will be heading to the Bay of Fleas very soon. 

Thanks again Ian, 

Andrew. 

The Railroad Class 08 dates back to the late 50s when it was a Triang locomotive, available in both electric and clockwork forms. Its extra height can be put down to the extra space required for the clockwork motor.  The full-fat Hornby 08 is on a par (at least) with the Bachmann, and may be rather better in terms of detail.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Railroad Class 08 dates back to the late 50s when it was a Triang locomotive, available in both electric and clockwork forms. Its extra height can be put down to the extra space required for the clockwork motor.  The full-fat Hornby 08 is on a par (at least) with the Bachmann, and may be rather better in terms of detail.

Dates back to 1977. Nothing in that model is Triang or Hornby Dublo apart from maybe a few parts like screws.

It was the first model the get the new chassis later found under the Jinty, 2721, etc.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=11

The body was actually accurate and more so that the Lima model which was overscale to fit the Lima pancake motor in.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

If it helps in your quest for a replacement, my none-Railroad Hornby 08 (running no 08402) also measures about 51 mm from rail top.

That does indeed help, thank you Martyn. 

Its safest to use a laoding gauge of 15ft high and 10 feet wide, 60mm and 40mm for Hornby OO/HO gauge stock. The open cab Pannier is about their worst for height and the 9F and Triang Hall for width.   I suspect Hornby used the drawings in Rev Awdreys "Duck and the Diesel engine" for their "Generic" Diesel  shunter.