Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern - into the second decade

Barry Ten

I can't get over that pic in Post #204 of the SD80's... Ditch Lights IN N SCALE  :O  ..... Not fair!!! I can't believe how manufacturers constantly omit them from HO locos that really should have them..... :mad:

As I mentioned in the 'Headlights when switching" thread, I did the mod suggested in the Digitrax instructions and now have working - separately controllable, constant or flashing - ditch lights on one of my Kato N-scale P42s..

Kato has made a number of N-scale locos where the ditch lights illuminate (using light pipes from the headlight led).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1

I intend having workung dirchlights in my P42' s one day

It is reasonably simple, but be aware that Digitrax occasionally changes the layout of their boards, so the actual function pad numbers on the board you have may be different from the ones shown in the instructions.

Adrian

... as per Sir Lance Mindheim's writings, it can take well over an hour to switch just a few spurs -

Wow, Lance has been knighted - does he know that? I'll have to give him you-know-what about it next time I see him.... :sungum:

• Like 1

I like Sir Lance A Lot :mosking:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: I hope you didn't spend too long thinking that up.... :scratchhead: :D

Wow, Lance has been knighted - does he know that? I'll have to give him you-know-what about it next time I see him.... :sungum:

Well it's just meant as an expression of the high esteem in which he is held, as far as I'm concerned, anyway. :declare:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: I hope you didn't spend too long thinking that up.... :scratchhead: :D

Well it's just meant as an expression of the high esteem in which he is held, as far as I'm concerned, anyway. :declare:

Saw Lance the other day - he sends his best to all on this board.

• RMweb Gold

Pete - my hidden curves are 11" but that is really at the limit for modern equipment. Locos tend to be less of a problem than long freight cars like 89' auto racks. If the couplers are truck mounted you should be OK but body mount couplers will need assessment on an car by car basis, in my experience. If I were building a layout specifically for modern equipment I would look at pushing the curves out a bit, even the hidden ones.

Although 11.5" will work (I had no issues with it on the Androscoggin Central) some longer six-axle diesels, rigid frame steamers (I tried a brass PRR 2-10-0 as an experiment) and body-mounted couplers on longer rolling stock like passenger cars can baulk at 11.5" curves.) I think an ideal operational minimum radius for N scale might be in the neighborhood of  15". Any N scale equipment should be able to negotiate such a curve with ease. "Cosmetic" N scale curves of course, are a different matter. I'd love to see what an N scale train would look like on my HO layouts 38" minimum radius curves!

Marty

• RMweb Gold

My SD90mac goes round 11.5 inch curves and so does the Athearn Challenger but they are the longest locos I have (although the Challenger is articulated).

Ideally I would have a larger radius in the fiddleyard and on scenic areas much larger again.

My auto racks and double stacks do go round the 11.5 inch radius curves even in a 12 foot long train but you do have to put the heavier cars at the front of such as the Walthersdie die cast ones

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I think I mentioned earlier in this topic that the one loco I didn't have luck with was an Athearn unit - can't remember what it was now, but something modern - which seemed to exhibit a lot of gear growl on the curves. I'm not sure if it would have been a problem in the long run but I decided not to chance it and took it back.

My hidden curves are mostly Atlas Code 80 set track, by the way, as I struggled to get a consistent curve with flexible track. But the set track brings its own problems as the track exhibits a slight tendency to bow up between each section. There really isn't a perfect solution, you just accept your limitations and make the best of things.

• RMweb Gold

Al

I did have the Atlas code 55 set track curves in the fiddleyard but they were well, pinned down and worked fine with USA stock. However when the fiddle yard was used with Banbury I had a lot of trouble with the UK stock so now it has been replaced with Peco code 55 flexi track. Both USA and UK stock work fine over this

Hi Al,

I just finished reading your thread from the start & I'd just like to say what a wonderful layout you have there, really very well done with excellent scenery & stock! Unfortunately, being easily distracted it's now made me want to have a play with a bit of U.S.. N gauge (although reading other's posts it seems to have had that effect on a few people!) So I was wondering, are you able to buy loco's & stock in the UK, & if so could you give me some pointers as to where? I also noticed that you say you get a fair bit of stuff from e-bay - is that the US or UK version?

ATB

keith

• Like 1

Keith have a read through the various topics in USA & Canadian Railroads as well - lots of suppliers mentioned several times  - it's difficult for me to comment as I live over here and don't have the mileage for shipping.

Thanks for the further experiences in minimum radii everyone.

Craig, I think Lance is officially at "Top Guru" status in the UK. I believe that the reason why is that he simply shares some UK ideals in that you do not need a huge "snakey, peninsular" layout to have a successful, interesting layout, perhaps?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Keith

I have bought N scale from the following traders, mainly at shows:

LSWR

Team Track (they have a shop in Redruth)

Plus Daughters (last weekend at the Alton show they had a very good selection of nearly new modern UP locos with decoders fitted)

Gaugemaster shop in Ford West Sussex (normally full price but some are reasonble prices)

Osbornes

MG Sharps (some years ago when they used to have a good range)

Plus numerous second hand traders at shows

I am sure there are other but just cant remember them at the moment.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Plus Daughters (last weekend at the Alton show they had a very good selection of nearly new modern UP locos with decoders fitted)

Ian

Thanks Ian,

It's typical - my daughter now lives in Alton, but they were back in Swansea last weekend. I had thought about going & staying with them for the show weekend!

@Pete - thanks, I've seen a few mentions of UK suppliers for HO stuff, but not for N gauge, but I'm probably looking in the wrong places! Shall have another look later.

And sorry Al for the thread hijack....

keith

• RMweb Gold

And sorry Al for the thread hijack....

keith

Not at all, glad it's set you thinking about US N! I've acquired stuff from almost everywhere - all the suppliers mentioned already, I would imagine, as well as Model Junction and now N Scale American (see their banner ad on RMweb). I've also picked up a bit at shows and the odd shop that has some American N squirrelled away (eg Lord and Butler generally have a few items in stock). Since you live in Swansea, it's also worth mentioning Kittle Hobby, as I acquired an E unit from them a while ago - although they are now a bit of a trek from where they used to be in the Gower.

Most if not all of my Ebay purchases come from the American one. They don't all ship to the UK but if there is something I am desperate for, I have a friend in the States who can received parcels for me and then forward them on. Sometimes you get stung for the import duty, sometimes not - it's a bit of a lottery. But generally the costs are not too bad even if you have to pay.

• RMweb Gold

Craig, I think Lance is officially at "Top Guru" status in the UK. I believe that the reason why is that he simply shares some UK ideals in that you do not need a huge "snakey, peninsular" layout to have a successful, interesting layout, perhaps?

Best, Pete.

Yes, his ideas translate very well for those of us in the UK, most of whom will never have the room for a basement empire. If I scaled up my layout to HO, it would still only be about 22 x 24 which would still be regarded as a modest size compared to some of the huge layouts they have over there.

As an exclusively US modeller, though in HO rather than N, I use Ebay.com , ebay.co.uk , and ebay .de -it is worth looking on the European Ebay sites (if they are in the EEC you don't get charged customs duty). Payment by Paypal in Euros is no problem.  Check exchange rates using  http://www.xe.com/ucc/. I understand a little German, but I can usually work my way through - the same applies to other language sites

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies chaps - & the talk about e-bay has reminded me there's a free listing weekend on now, so I'd best go & get some stuff listed so I can buy an N gauge loco, some boxcars, some track and....here we go again!!

Keith