Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern - into the second decade

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't resist a few more shots with the new sky in place.

FT units running past Woods:

post-6720-0-17568300-1356993242.jpg

Over Big Gator Creek:

post-6720-0-71515600-1356993277.jpg

Thanks and cheers for reading the progress (or lack of it) through 2012, and here's to a good 2013 for everyone! Now I'm off to hit the Baileys.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

From the outset I always wanted the option of running some modern stuff on the layout, so over the years I've acquired various bits and bobs to check clearances, limiting radii and so on. It's still a bit hit and miss - I can run 89' auto racks, but they're only problem-free with truck-mounted couplers, for instance. And a lovely Athearn diesel had to go back to the model shop after it became very growly on the 11" radius curves.

These Kato SD80Macs, though, are a delight - so well engineered, and yet huge - they've got that serious presence, even in N, which you really only get with the modern stuff. And even though the locos have body mounted couplers, they slink round the curves without a grumble.

The Kato double-stacks are just as good. I bought three of these triple-packs early on in the building of the layout and they've come out periodically to check tunnels and so on. Clearances are super tight in one or two places, but that's usually by choice. I also test auto-racks and excess height cars at the same time, just to be sure.

Anyway, just a glimpse into the future here - back to your normal scheduled transition era stuff shortly - but these SD80s now join my other SD60 and 70s in being decoder equipped, so I hope to get a lot more running out of them.

post-6720-0-35857900-1357682792.jpg

• Like 8

That's a great picture! I like those SD80s too, I have three of them! Only mine are a CSX and two Conrail and as you say, they're impressive! I'm the opposite of you, my models are mainly modern, with a few older ones. On of my favourite trains I have is two Southern E8s and a 12 car Southern corrugated set. I'm hoping to detail the E8s sometime as there's a lot of differences between the Kato models and the actual Southern ones, as I'm sure you already know.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On of my favourite trains I have is two Southern E8s and a 12 car Southern corrugated set. I'm hoping to detail the E8s sometime as there's a lot of differences between the Kato models and the actual Southern ones, as I'm sure you already know.

I don't, actually - be interested to see how your detailing proceeds? My one E8 doesn't have the rooftop cylinders which I think were fitted on some/all at some point, and possibly on the Kato model as well? A 12 car set must look great - even my 8 car one looks cool (to me).

post-6720-0-49240900-1357689582.jpg

• Like 3

I don't, actually - be interested to see how your detailing proceeds? My one E8 doesn't have the rooftop cylinders which I think were fitted on some/all at some point, and possibly on the Kato model as well? A 12 car set must look great - even my 8 car one looks cool (to me).

There was an article in N Scale Railroading a while back, but I don't have the issue handy just now. There was more than just the cylinders, but it didn't seen too hard. I think the hardest part now is to find the Microscale decals they used. The 12 car set does look great-even more so now that I finally got round to changing the couplings so they stay together now! But your 8 car set looks a lot cooler than mine at the moment as I've not got anywhere to run it at the moment. I've also got a Life Like ABBA set too. What couplings did you put on them in place of the rapidos?

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the outset I always wanted the option of running some modern stuff on the layout, so over the years I've acquired various bits and bobs to check clearances, limiting radii and so on. It's still a bit hit and miss - I can run 89' auto racks, but they're only problem-free with truck-mounted couplers, for instance. And a lovely Athearn diesel had to go back to the model shop after it became very growly on the 11" radius curves.

These Kato SD80Macs, though, are a delight - so well engineered, and yet huge - they've got that serious presence, even in N, which you really only get with the modern stuff. And even though the locos have body mounted couplers, they slink round the curves without a grumble.

The Kato double-stacks are just as good. I bought three of these triple-packs early on in the building of the layout and they've come out periodically to check tunnels and so on. Clearances are super tight in one or two places, but that's usually by choice. I also test auto-racks and excess height cars at the same time, just to be sure.

Anyway, just a glimpse into the future here - back to your normal scheduled transition era stuff shortly - but these SD80s now join my other SD60 and 70s in being decoder equipped, so I hope to get a lot more running out of them.

attachicon.gifsouthern_301.jpg

That looks superb.

I may well have to make a new set of boards for an NS layout as my other half loves NS especially the heritage fleet.

A visit to Roanoke is on the cards at some point to stay in the hotel where the webcam is located.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

You'll like Roanoke it's a hoot!

I hope the museum is still there (alongside the mainline) at the former Station.  A GG1 to climb over,  one of the big Virginian electrics ( I can never remember their designation) tons of N&W steam and a brilliant collection of Taxis.

In the early nineties I drove the Senior Vice-President and General Counsel of EMI up there from Greensboro where I was living - because he collected Taxis.  He was very impressed but not his posh English Wife when we sat in the top deck of a caboose and watched the mainline for an hour and then couldn't find a decent restaurant, we ate at a "Western Sizzler" (I thought it was good but then I like "hush puppies" and Okra)..........................

I forgot something vital! Before they changed the name Roanoke was called "Big Lick" - shame really they didn't keep that...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There was an article in N Scale Railroading a while back, but I don't have the issue handy just now. There was more than just the cylinders, but it didn't seen too hard. I think the hardest part now is to find the Microscale decals they used. The 12 car set does look great-even more so now that I finally got round to changing the couplings so they stay together now! But your 8 car set looks a lot cooler than mine at the moment as I've not got anywhere to run it at the moment. I've also got a Life Like ABBA set too. What couplings did you put on them in place of the rapidos?

David

I've had a problem with the cars uncoupling as well, especially when coming down off one of the gradients - how did you go about replacing them? I used MTL couplings on the Lifelike B unit, which were a bit of a fiddle to assemble but I got there in the end. They were the type where you can fit them into the draft box of a Rapido type coupling.

I've got a Lifelike E6 A unit somewhere but it needs a decoder, so doesn't get much running at the moment.

Really like the latest photos :)
I can't quite explain why,
but this layout seems to have come alive recently.....

The new sky has added a more spacious feel,
and everything seems to have more coherent tone and look to it

Fab stuff
Cheers again

EDIT; Having seen the layout in the flesh over the last couple of years,

it is sometimes difficult to see progress, when only seeing it from time to time....

but it seems to have progressed more recently too?
It certainly seems that way - but maybe I'm noticing more detail lately?

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

I also have that same pair of SD80MACs - they look impressive dragging as many Coalporters as I can fit behind them. Between Kato and Deluxe (and one LBF), I have something like 40 NS Coalporters, plus six BLMA TopGons to add to the mix.

The SD70Ms are also impressive, although not quite as big.

The new Kato Maxi-I 5-well set is, if anything, even nicer than the Maxi-IVs - it certainly is easier to assemble (I haven't had trouble with the Maxi-IVs, but others seem to). Add some Deluxe Maxi-IIIs and Twin-Stacks and a bunch of standalone cars and you have the makings of an intermodal train.

I don't recall what I did with my Lifelike E8, but it doesn't get as much use on passenger ops as it should - I either use my ABBA set (or portions thereof) of PCM E7s or I use my AA set of Kato E8s (which still need trainphone antennas) to pull the Broadway Limited or other PRR passenger consists.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do like the shot of those big MAC units, could I ask to see a pic of your modern Amtrak set in traffic at some point?

Keep the inspiration coming though, it's certainly pushing me towards US N scale.

Cheers - yes, I'll get the Amtrak set out later!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really like the latest photos :)

EDIT; Having seen the layout in the flesh over the last couple of years,

it is sometimes difficult to see progress, when only seeing it from time to time....

but it seems to have progressed more recently too?

It certainly seems that way - but maybe I'm noticing more detail lately?

Hard for me to tell sometimes, I've gone back over some bits and added little touches, but nothing

major although there was a spurt of progress a few weeks ago. Sometimes it's surprising how little

progress is made over a year, but then you realise you might have spent weeks doing "invisible" stuff

like improving the wiring or fitting decoders, which is still all part of the fun... well, sometimes.

• RMweb Gold

Hard for me to tell sometimes, I've gone back over some bits and added little touches, but nothingmajor although there was a spurt of progress a few weeks ago. Sometimes it's surprising how littleprogress is made over a year, but then you realise you might have spent weeks doing "invisible" stufflike improving the wiring or fitting decoders, which is still all part of the fun... well, sometimes.

How true

I have spent a fair amount of time on the various layouts in recent months vut the visible side hasnt changed on any of them

Cheers , I've spent part of this afternoon with 4 metres of baseboard on the living room floor , planning and measuring with peco point templates and kato unitrak for curves.

Mrs SN seems happy enough with the concept I have in mind (though it won't be resident in the living room , obviously)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh not, not another shot of the FTs!

Well, yes - but I never get tired of this ABBA set, and after a hard day's work there's no better way to unwind* than running a few long, slow freights through some finished scenery. Normally I'd want maximum depth of field, but I quite like the effect of the shallow d.o.f. in this shot, emphasizing the nose of the train and conveying (hopefully) a sense that it's moving into the foreground.

post-6720-0-18940400-1359584689.jpg

Not that it's obvious from this shot, but I've now glazed all the background factories (some of them have been without glass for three years, but it's not as obvious in N as it would be in HO/OO, hence the laziness) and begun adding some smaller details such as blinds and window-mounted AC units, folded up from some fiddly but satisfying BLMA etches.

* - other relaxation methods are available

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There is one thing I do miss from a fixed layout in that you can do it in your own time and what you want, whereas when doing a portable layout for shows is that you have to get it to a certain standard, but thats an enjoyable challenge for me aswell.

One day I might get the shed built to do a sizeable fixed layout just for running.. I just keep doing those lottery tickets!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is one thing I do miss from a fixed layout in that you can do it in your own time and what you want, whereas when doing a portable layout for shows is that you have to get it to a certain standard, but thats an enjoyable challenge for me aswell.

Yes, very true - and I've been down both roads.

Last night, for instance, my modelling consisted of painting a few windows in the factories to look as if the glass had been shattered and replaced by wood panels. Total modelling time - about 10 minutes - but it's a small touch that advances the overall level of detailing. Tonight I didn't do anything except run a few trains and take a couple of pics, but that's also part of the hobby.

Both of my portable layouts, Cogirep and Paynestown, take up a bit too much room to be set up permanently so at the moment they live in the garden shed. When I have a show coming up I tend to focus only on those layouts for a couple of months, often relying on my wife's tolerance to set them up in the spare room or even along the hall. But it's not the same as being able to add those little touches as and when the mood suits. As you say, exhibiting can also be an enjoyable challenge.

• Like 1

All of my layouts in recent years have been exhibitable, and exhibited....
It has been many years since I built a layout which was a permanent fixture in the home -
my parents loft, actually....

And I never finished any incarnation of the various plans I dreamed up
I can see that having a layout which is set up, permanently in the house is a very different challenge

I'm currently converting my garage into a railway room
and I must say, I'm looking forward to being able to just "have a play" between modelling jobs :)

• Like 1

Yep, "having a play" is the best bit about a home layout!! The last couple of times I've made it into my loft I've just played trains... as per Sir Lance Mindheim's writings, it can take well over an hour to switch just a few spurs - and that's doing it too fast as well!!

I can't get over that pic in Post #204 of the SD80's... Ditch Lights IN N SCALE  :O  ..... Not fair!!! I can't believe how manufacturers constantly omit them from HO locos that really should have them..... :mad:

• Like 2