Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Very dirty smoke as well - I doubt if the stationmaster would have been impressed!

You're right (but then Eastern smoke always seemed muckier than Western smoke to me!)

If that lot had been deposited under the roof I shouldn't think the paying public would have been very happy either. Presumably there would have been strict rules designed to avoid excess smoke in that area, but even so it must have got very smutty under there. And don't pretend that you don't know what i mean.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's excellent.

I think you may need to step forward towards the tracks, so that the left side of the train shed is clear of the signal, and move the loco back about a length in line with the turnout. That should move the offending down signal more nearly out of the picture and give a more head on view. So I think you're closer to reality than the present photo is giving you credit for.

Alan

I've had another go, but varying the angle, although it helped in some ways, unfortunately also hindered in others. I'm also getting to extreme neck craning distance when trying to see the view finder!  The result was nothing like the real thing, but I felt it made quite a nice picture, so here it is.

Gilbert,

From what my Father used to tell me, formerly on the Footplate, Officialdom would Frown upon any emissions of Black Smoke or the Lifting of Safety Valves, whilst a Locomotive was in a Station. No doubt as Locomotives got more rundown the more difficult it would become to comply with this!

As for your issues with the lighting, you could always block up the Windows, a bit drastic though. Mind you some corrugated cardboard wedged in the window would do the same trick and it can be removed again

Paul 4475

• RMweb Premium

Please choose one of the following options:-

1. In 1950 reclusive and highly eccentric Lincolnshire haslet millionaire Sir Augustus Loco - Holic purchased from BR the last serviceable C1 Atlantic 62822. He wished it to remain in its final condition, but to be kept in working order. BR agreed that he could keep it at Grantham shed, in an otherwise redundant building, but in return Sir Augustus permitted the use of the loco on revenue earning services during times of need. He stipulated however that no mention of this was to be made during his lifetime, or for 50 years after his death, which sadly occurred in early June 1965. This no doubt explains why occasional sightings of the loco on Grantham- Peterborough locals were never reported in the railway press.

2. When the Plant Centenarian specials were being discussed in 1953, examination of No 251 revealed that much very expensive work would be needed to make her available to take part. One Albert Number Cruncher, then employed at the Plant as a book keeper, calculated that it would be more cost effective to put together another C1 from among the various boilers/frames/ almost complete locos still existing in and around the Works at the time. This was done, and a hybrid masquerading as No 251 duly appeared and hauled the specials. Having spent a fair amount on this, it was decided that the "new" loco should be retained, but should be renumbered to one of the locos from which it was constructed, and that when future special workings were mooted, this loco should be used, leaving 251 as a museum piece only. Thus, we now have an apple green C1, which occasionally graces the ECML.

3. Sir Augustus Loco - Holic ( see 1 above) was easily bored, and decided that he wanted a green C1 to go with his black one. As haslet sales were at an all time high, he had no difficulty in paying BR to restore no 2829, then in use as a stationary boiler at the Carraige Works to its LNER condition as No 3301. It was then transferred to the same shed at Grantham as 62822, and was subject to the same conditions.

On the closure of Grantham shed in 1963, Sir Augustus had to remove both locos. The secret of their new whereabouts went with him to his grave, but there have ever since been rumours that they became part of the famed reserve of steam locos, and that to this day they remain in a disused and sealed tunnel on the old Bardey- Louth line, closed in the early 50's. It is thought that this location is suggested because of its proximity to the now demolished stately home  in which Sir Augustus lived.

OK, which do you prefer. And please do not let boring and inconvenient known facts intrude on your deliberations.

• Like 1

After selling his secret Lincolnshire pork chine recipe to A W Curtis, Augustus was seriously cashed up, and as well as 62822 and 3301, he rescued 2849 and 2877 from Doncaster, where they were stationary boilers.  In great demand for enthusiasts specials, seaside extras and preserved lines, Augustus happily branched out and purchased a Midland Compound, leasing it for special workings to the Daily Mirror and the Andy Capp Handicap horse race, and even having it repainted.  This was the start of his ruin.    

I like option 1, mainly because as a haslet lover suffering from withdrawal symptoms (it is almost impossible to buy down here in cider-land, and most folk have never heard of it :(  ), I like to think that a C1 had been purchased with the profits of my family's constant weekend buying habits, and it would have been nice to see it steaming through Essendine on a local from Grantham, while I'm eating my potted meat sandwiches.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium

OK.

Quiz question time.

What's this going to be used for?

post-2326-0-94598500-1432994077_thumb.jpg

Clues.

It is brass, rectangular tube suitable for 4mm work (giving you some 'scale' info).

It will be on PN.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

1. In 1950 reclusive and highly eccentric Lincolnshire haslet millionaire Sir Augustus Loco - Holic purchased from BR the last serviceable C1 Atlantic 62822. He wished it to remain in its final condition, but to be kept in working order. BR agreed that he could keep it at Grantham shed, in an otherwise redundant building, but in return Sir Augustus permitted the use of the loco on revenue earning services during times of need. He stipulated however that no mention of this was to be made during his lifetime, or for 50 years after his death, which sadly occurred in early June 1965. This no doubt explains why occasional sightings of the loco on Grantham- Peterborough locals were never reported in the railway press.

2. When the Plant Centenarian specials were being discussed in 1953, examination of No 251 revealed that much very expensive work would be needed to make her available to take part. One Albert Number Cruncher, then employed at the Plant as a book keeper, calculated that it would be more cost effective to put together another C1 from among the various boilers/frames/ almost complete locos still existing in and around the Works at the time. This was done, and a hybrid masquerading as No 251 duly appeared and hauled the specials. Having spent a fair amount on this, it was decided that the "new" loco should be retained, but should be renumbered to one of the locos from which it was constructed, and that when future special workings were mooted, this loco should be used, leaving 251 as a museum piece only. Thus, we now have an apple green C1, which occasionally graces the ECML.

3. Sir Augustus Loco - Holic ( see 1 above) was easily bored, and decided that he wanted a green C1 to go with his black one. As haslet sales were at an all time high, he had no difficulty in paying BR to restore no 2829, then in use as a stationary boiler at the Carraige Works to its LNER condition as No 3301. It was then transferred to the same shed at Grantham as 62822, and was subject to the same conditions.

On the closure of Grantham shed in 1963, Sir Augustus had to remove both locos. The secret of their new whereabouts went with him to his grave, but there have ever since been rumours that they became part of the famed reserve of steam locos, and that to this day they remain in a disused and sealed tunnel on the old Bardey- Louth line, closed in the early 50's. It is thought that this location is suggested because of its proximity to the now demolished stately home  in which Sir Augustus lived.

OK, which do you prefer. And please do not let boring and inconvenient known facts intrude on your deliberations.

Ah, the mystery of it all! Did he have anything to do with 62613, the last Claud, which was reported to have been stored away somewhere on a remote farm? Maybe one day we will find these?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

OK.

Quiz question time.

What's this going to be used for?

attachicon.gifImg_0168.jpg

Clues.

It is brass, rectangular tube suitable for 4mm work (giving you some 'scale' info).

It will be on PN.

Quackers.

The post of that big boy's telegraph pole you got a photo of a few pages back?

Must confess I'd never heard or read of any of them. Just goes to show what the historians omit.

OK Penfold. Just 'cause you are in CID I'll allow that.

Yup, it is the Beast's (but not 66606) pole. Oh, that's gonna be so much fun to try and construct........................ :threaten:

Quackers.

It needs to be long enough to reach the floor, the baseboard on its own will never support the weight by the time you've brazed all those arms on it :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: