Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Rumour has it some new (old) motive power might be heading your way in the near future good sir...

fVy7Mm.jpg

Hope it will earn its keep when it arrives.  The Shedmaster at Arnthorpe said it should be released to New England in a few days, but apparently it is a rather long journey...

Cheers

Tony

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Rumour has it some new (old) motive power might be heading your way in the near future good sir...

fVy7Mm.jpg

Hope it will earn its keep when it arrives.  The Shedmaster at Arnthorpe said it should be released to New England in a few days, but apparently it is a rather long journey...

Cheers

Tony

Lovely Tony, and a very generous offer on your part. It will be in service as soon as it arrives, I can assure you. I can see a few more trip workings being added to the sequence, plus the odd trip up and down Stoke bank on Grantham locals.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Really liking all those corner shots Gilbert, it shows that to make a good representation of a place means thinking about all the small things that tell the story of where it is.

cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, robmcg said:

A slight misalignment of sleepers, but have ever thought about the value of fog or mist?  These were a major part of railway-running and can and would hide the most awful inaccuracies...   cheers, I enjoy your thread immensely.

Here is recent Hornby 4472 in 1924 GN style, short travel valves, avant garde smoke, making up time after fog delays, a very 'O S Nock' scenario..  very ECML though, so I thought I'd show off a day's fiddling with photo editing PSP6 style. It isn't modelling per se...

will remove it offends

4472_A1_Flying_Scotsman_at_speed_6a_r1500.jpg.9a82e5fcea511324ae28985e6e8c999c.jpg

I would rather that the thread concentrates on PN please.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Now we come to something I have been eagerly awaiting for quite a while. Thanks to Andy(The Green Howards), and an 'orrible 'Ornby thing off E-bay, I can, for the first time in PN's nine years of existence, run a sleeping car train. This is the 7.30 FO KX-Aberdeen, with 60059 in charge. 

Gilbert,

I've been eagerly looking forward to seeing the sleepers in action. I won't pass judgement on my efforts, but the train as a whole looks great - a welcome addition to the PN repertoire. I don't mind the Hornby sleeper although yours looks like a bit of a cross breed as it has angle iron rather than truss rods whereas the Hornby original correctly had truss rods - what's the provenance of the chassis?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I've been eagerly looking forward to seeing the sleepers in action. I won't pass judgement on my efforts, but the train as a whole looks great - a welcome addition to the PN repertoire. I don't mind the Hornby sleeper although yours looks like a bit of a cross breed as it has angle iron rather than truss rods whereas the Hornby original correctly had truss rods - what's the provenance of the chassis?

Andy

Oh dear!  Another example of my inability to see what I'm looking at. I got it off E-Bay Andy. I hadn't seen any on there for a while, and the price was reasonable, so I grabbed it. Now I'm off to see if I have a spare truss rod chassis anywhere.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

Oh dear!  Another example of my inability to see what I'm looking at. I got it off E-Bay Andy. I hadn't seen any on there for a while, and the price was reasonable, so I grabbed it. Now I'm off to see if I have a spare truss rod chassis anywhere.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings! It’s strange because it seems to have the separate battery boxes which, I think, only feature on the sleeper. It’s possible that some were rebuilt with angle iron so I’d wait to see if any of the experts on here provide a justification before you do anything hasty.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

Andy

Hi Andy and Gibert

The underframe is the Hornby Railroad GWR one that is found under their "short" LNER coaches and their LMS "Stanier" carriages.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

GWR!:o:scared:

Have you checked the coach for length, it might be a really well painted Railroad Gresley.

The Railroad Gresley's look like Gresley coaches when well painted, and have their underframes sorted, it is just a big pity they were made to fit a standard chassis.

• RMweb Gold

They do, of course, as stated, date back to the late seventies, and were acceptable for their time. I bought quite a number and converted some into other diagrams. But, of course, what we really need, in the 21st century, are Gresley’s to modern standards. Sadly I can’t see that happening for many years to come. I hope I’m proved wrong.

In the meantime, if the underframe is modified to that of an angle iron example, or turnbuckle trusses, whichever you are requiring, then it should do as a temporary measure.

Best regards,

Rob.

20 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings! It’s strange because it seems to have the separate battery boxes which, I think, only feature on the sleeper. It’s possible that some were rebuilt with angle iron so I’d wait to see if any of the experts on here provide a justification before you do anything hasty.

As Clive has surmised, Andy,

That Sleeper appears to be an original Hornby one - too short, and based on a generic GWR/LMS (even SR) 57' underframe. That same underframe went underneath Hornby's LMS, LNER, GWR and SR carriages of the period. Was it correct for any?

Years ago, when these carriages first appeared (which, incidentally, have a better end-on profile than Hornby's correct-length ones, though the buffers are oval), I made new bogies for them, repainted them, altered the underframes and ran them on Fordley Park and my first Stoke Summit. Spectators thought they were OK, if still too short. The modified Sleeper used to stand in a siding on Fordley Park throughout every day of every show. I think it even appeared in a Brian Monaghan picture in Model Railways in the early-'80s. 

Though I doubt if any 'serious' railway modeller runs them now, the likes of Graeme King has used these original Hornby Gresleys to produce some remarkable 'cut-and-shut' cars, some articulated.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, StephenB said:

I think Clive Mortimore has done the same or, at least, is in the process of doing so.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I am in the process, I will post some updated photos on here later in the week.

Tony did photograph my articulated twin Third Brake + Composite Lavatory I am building made form components from the Hornby shorties, on Little Bytham on one of my visits. The odd thing about these coaches is the compartments are the correct size, the toilets have been reduced in size to make the coaches sorter and the corridor side windows are not standard sizes, but quite a few are the right length for Gresley open coaches, they just need sliding ventilators adding. 

It was a great pity they chose to use a standard underframe not a right length one because to me, with my limited knowledge, they look like LNER coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

As Clive has surmised, Andy,

That Sleeper appears to be an original Hornby one - too short, and based on a generic GWR/LMS (even SR) 57' underframe. That same underframe went underneath Hornby's LMS, LNER, GWR and SR carriages of the period. Was it correct for any?

Years ago, when these carriages first appeared (which, incidentally, have a better end-on profile than Hornby's correct-length ones, though the buffers are oval), I made new bogies for them, repainted them, altered the underframes and ran them on Fordley Park and my first Stoke Summit. Spectators thought they were OK, if still too short. The modified Sleeper used to stand in a siding on Fordley Park throughout every day of every show. I think it even appeared in a Brian Monaghan picture in Model Railways in the early-'80s. 

Though I doubt if any 'serious' railway modeller runs them now, the likes of Graeme King has used these original Hornby Gresleys to produce some remarkable 'cut-and-shut' cars, some articulated.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

The GWR cut and shut gang seem happy with the undeframe for some of their rebuilds.

It is a really inspirational thread despite the content not really being of interest to my own personal modelling. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Simple conclusion then is that I fouled up there, good and proper. That should, but probably won't, get me to examine things more closely in future. I can't find the precise product description on E Bay now, but I'm sure it gave a recent R number.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 3