Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Last Pullman of the day! Load of rubbish. Who told you that? Here is the last Pullman, the Down Yorkshire.

532560932_1321.JPG.cc4aaff7155ebfd2a289450a38fc3953.JPG

1829044976_3323.JPG.d3f43d4abccd0cc6aa696990cf8c228b.JPG

This is the A4 which shouldn't have a double chimney in August 1958. That means that for the time being it is November.

Like the first photo. It really shows off the A4 lines.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert,

I've really enjoyed your thread, despite being a Western man! The modelling is superb.

I wish I had room to build an ex GWR mainline layout at home.

Kind regards,

Nick

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, great northern said:

The trolley wasn't very well at all, but it is getting on a bit, so what with the cost of repairs and a shortly to end part exchange offer I've finished up with a new one, which has cost me the equivalent of several A4s. But then I have enough of them, don't I?

The 5.35 down Newcastle was one of Grantham's premier duties, so it is only to be expected that they would use their newly outshopped and first double chimney A3, isn't it? Well, they did, and here is Prince of Wales in all its finery.

1091697377_1541.JPG.74c0084dc65ca5f5467c88dad2eaa324.JPG

1449072747_2542.JPG.688b0437113dca989654b3d384d62da9.JPG

The extraneous objects in the background once again only appeared after I had finished shopping, and it was too late to erase them. I was not prepared to start all over again, so please concentrate on the foreground, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Gilbert, I think most of us wouldn’t notice the extraneous objects in the background if you didn’t point the out. In fact, even now you’ve pointed them out, I can’t see what the problem is.

There is no such thing as a perfect photographer, only perfectly proportioned steam locomotives, most of which seem to pass through Peterborough North , so please keep ‘em coming.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I say, you clever people, can you put your huge brains to work on this? I found a photo looking South from Crescent Bridge which for once didn't have any trains in the way, and it occured to me that just possibly it could be used to create a backscene to fill the empty expanse that is seen on shots under the bridge at present.

I cropped it down to this, as I think it is about right for what could actually have been seen, but it really needs to be a bit longer, perhaps in both directions. I'm not at all sure about how much it should be blown up/ cut down to get the right effect.

Anyway, here is the cropped version. I can scan the full photo again if necessary. Over to you, I hope.

img20190714_16194202.jpg.e8d74c6ef9b1e858ddbd37ddaac73465.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Brain fade again. I forgot to post my first effort.

IMG_1334.JPG.b6a157ab0afb45f6adc738019e56ad46.JPG

Hopeless. sums that up really. Far too large for a start, as Nene sidings are quite a way away. And it tipped sideways while I wasn't looking.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Hopeless. sums that up really. Far too large for a start, as Nene sidings are quite a way away. And it tipped sideways while I wasn't looking.

It looks like a step in the right direction though and worth pursuing.  As Mullie says, perhaps a painted backscene would be better than a photo.  Are there other photos available which would allow an artist to widen out the scene on either side?  I believe the sloping 'bridge' is the conveyor which used to carry coal across the railway to the old power station; probably there are photos in existence which show what was at either end of it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 31A said:

It looks like a step in the right direction though and worth pursuing.  As Mullie says, perhaps a painted backscene would be better than a photo.  Are there other photos available which would allow an artist to widen out the scene on either side?  I believe the sloping 'bridge' is the conveyor which used to carry coal across the railway to the old power station; probably there are photos in existence which show what was at either end of it?

Yes, I agree that was the conveyor of coal to the power station Steve. On the left side was the power station itself, and I have tried in the past to do a low relief cut out of that. It didn't look right though, and though it was very obvious in photos taken from Spital Bridge, I suspect it wasn't visible from ground level. I'll have a look at other photos to make sure, but I think to the right would be the chord leading to East.

Where can I find an artist?

• Like 1