Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

Sorry Tony, swimming costume puts those Victorian/Edwardian things into my mind. For men and boys, weren't they trunks back in the 50s?

Certainly true in the early 60s. Swimming costumes were for girls.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I'm pleased with this, as it is the closest I've yet got to the prototype angle which gets the stock in the Midland sidings in the right place.

I do love that angle, for a range of reasons, the full length of train, the lovely flowing lines of the track work and the clutter of buildings, signals and poles that makes for a painful photo editing but magical skyline.

cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, trw1089 said:

I do love that angle, for a range of reasons, the full length of train, the lovely flowing lines of the track work and the clutter of buildings, signals and poles that makes for a painful photo editing but magical skyline.

cheers

Tony

I'm being more pragmatic over that skyline now Tony. I can do a lot of work on it, or very little, and the difference at normal viewing size is minimal, and not worth the effort. If you blow these shots up to 200% or more you will find an absolute mess, but I don't guarantee anything over 67%, and at that, let alone the size I post them, I think it gives a reasonable amout of sharpness for the distance it would be from the camera in reality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Bogie said:

I suggest you look at the tree behind the signal box.  I think someone has been running amok with an axe.

PB = Highlight.jpg

That is just temporary- only been like it for about five years. Just some trees lying on their sides, and I left a trunk sticking out last time I moved them to take a photo. Eventually I shall make up my mind how to finish off this area.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

That is just temporary- only been like it for about five years. Just some trees lying on their sides, and I left a trunk sticking out last time I moved them to take a photo. Eventually I shall make up my mind how to finish off this area.

Just goes to show how hard I have looked at all your previous photos that show the signal box!  Oops!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Just goes to show how hard I have looked at all your previous photos that show the signal box!  Oops!

I'm trying to take my time more now, and notice these things before I take the photo. Funnily enough, I actually did see that tree trunk on a subsequent shot, and tidied it up. No doubt I shall move it again and then forget though.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, geoff west said:

I'm fine thank you Gilbert. Still managing a couple of days work a week, hospital deliveries.

Hope you are keeping well?

Regards,

Geoff.

Yes thanks Geoff. I seem to have adapted quite well to my changed circumstances!

On 12/04/2020 at 14:05, Tony Wright said:

One question, please. Did the A4s have Smith-Stone speedos as early as 1958?

Funnily enough, as each of Gilbert's A4s come in for attention to their factory finish and indeed rework, it's one of the first things I remove!  Currently have 'Golden Fleece' here, which has already been shorn of said item.

60013, however, was one of my very early ones, which I did on a site visit.  Judging by the fact it's got that dropped-out piston rod, I think it's going to get a little more attention than just the speedo!  This all hinges, of course, on when we're allowed any form of non-essential travel again; nobody really knows the answer to that..... (and I'm not going to speculate on that here!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, great northern said:

Elevenses = photo. Last one on the progress of D209.

1465788715_12adukeand209.JPG.5c6cd7febb3a4202a017a54577be8fc1.JPG

Not very successful. If I wished to include the front end of the A2/1, I should have found a way to get it in focus. Not to mention the water crane growing out of the smokebox.

Eleven o'clock still life? The diesel must have failed then.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Eleven o'clock still life? The diesel must have failed then.

Or I'm a bit short of the still life images at present. Actually it was an opportunity to clear the last image from a folder that decided it. Did diesels fail? Really?  I thought they were the new dawn, the answer to all BR's problems.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4