Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That aerial shot of New England is amazing. Where was that in relation to todays ECML north of PB if I was on a Down train?

You would be up towards the end of complex Phil. If my memory serves me correctly, you will have a retail park on the right hand side. No trace of the engine shed remains at all, so far as I could see.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That aerial shot of New England is amazing. Where was that in relation to todays ECML north of PB if I was on a Down train?

To the north of where GBRF's (very small) modern loco shed is now.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2020 at 10:05, bigwordsmith said:

Semi off topic...

when all this virus rubbish is over, what’s going to happen to Hornby, Bachman et al?

Hornby has been in and out of financial difficulties as long as I can remember, so if there is the kind of economic slowdown being predicted , then I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering  how will they survive?

theres also the question of ‘made in....’

Personally I’m not keen on supporting the Chinese after they effectively unleashed WW3, so would prefer stuff made in the UK. With so much automation in manufacturing, one has to wonder if there’s an opportunity for them to re-shore production?

In terms of immediate buying, should we all be buying up those ‘Marginal’ purchases now, especially with the deals around from Rails et al, or wait for the day when Hornby has a fire sale? I’ve already got way too much stock, but I do wonder what lies ahead...

maybe Andy Y, or Tony W could put this to Simon Koehler?

The problem with model railways is that they are heavilý labour dependent to assemble. I have read several times that, bringing manufacturer of goods back to the UK would result in purchase prices Doubling at the very least. I'm not just talking about models, but many of our daily essential products. Hornby brought much of the Airfix kit manufacturing back to the UK, but those are essentially automated processes with comparitively low labour costs.

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

The problem with model railways is that they are heavilý labour dependent to assemble. I have read several times that, bringing manufacturer of goods back to the UK would result in purchase prices Doubling at the very least. I'm not just talking about models, but many of our daily essential products. Hornby brought much of the Airfix kit manufacturing back to the UK, but those are essentially automated processes with comparitively low labour costs.

I agree. It is our moral dilemma, isn't it? If we want our RTR to be as cheap as possible, it will have to be done by people who are paid rates which we ourselves would find unacceptable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, great northern said:

I agree. It is our moral dilemma, isn't it? If we want our RTR to be as cheap as possible, it will have to be done by people who are paid rates which we ourselves would find unacceptable.

... but whose living costs are often commensurately lower too.

I only really have time to look in once daily, at least as far as comments, if any, are concerned.

First off I love the aeriel shot of New England. Another shed I missed, and really wanted to go to because it was the home of my favourite A2/3, Chamossaire. Sadly, my dad thought trainspotting a stupid hobby for the lower classes....

Regarding experimental shots. I like 99.9% of them. The ones regarded as poor would be the ones we, as kids, if we could afford cameras, might have taken. A few are now surfacing on various groups on facebook etc. The ones that come off, like the J50 above, are the Keith Pirt shots.

And that lady with the boots: is she still wearing them after the last snow storm, which she is describing to everyone she meets: "It were up to 'ere outside ar 'ows".

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, JeffP said:

I only really have time to look in once daily, at least as far as comments, if any, are concerned.

First off I love the aeriel shot of New England. Another shed I missed, and really wanted to go to because it was the home of my favourite A2/3, Chamossaire. Sadly, my dad thought trainspotting a stupid hobby for the lower classes....

Regarding experimental shots. I like 99.9% of them. The ones regarded as poor would be the ones we, as kids, if we could afford cameras, might have taken. A few are now surfacing on various groups on facebook etc. The ones that come off, like the J50 above, are the Keith Pirt shots.

And that lady with the boots: is she still wearing them after the last snow storm, which she is describing to everyone she meets: "It were up to 'ere outside ar 'ows".

Jackboots would be a bit of a give away though, wouldn't they?

• RMweb Premium

One question, is that the parish of Saltfleetby St Peters, Saltfleetby St Leonards  Clement or Saltfleetby All Saints?

Is it pronounced Salt-fleet-bee or Salt-fleet-buy or Soloby?

Edited I wish I knew about where I live. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
stupidity
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

One question, is that the parish of Saltfleetby St Peters, Saltfleetby St Leonards or Saltfleetby All Saints?

It's the one where Mr Hilter lived, and I don't know how it is pronounced in German. Slobbery, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

22 minutes ago, great northern said:

OK, back to being sensible now. We need a bit of silliness in these times though, don't we?  Here comes the Up Tees Tyne Pullman.

96634403_12teestyne.JPG.d54223016dff41f9d6059744b52d786a.JPG

Quicksilver on its way back to London.

1878390718_12ateestyne2.JPG.83e94953dd0156c9de446ccd07afa453.JPG

Good afternoon Gilbert,

I'm very impressed with the shots of QUICKSILVER. Another example of 'Timming'? 

One thing which occurs to me, however, is every time you take a (most-natural) shot in the proximity of North Box, looking north, I'm convinced that double slip must be wired incorrectly in some way. As it's set up (and I assume 60015 has the road), there is no protection from the RH sidings - a free-running vehicle or an 'illegal' move would run right out on to the Up main running line. That slip, in reality, should act as a trap point, with any 'rogue' vehicle being diverted to the right as we look, from both sidings (if this is possible). 

Perhaps someone with knowledge of such track geometry will explain. I could, of course, be wrong. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Gilbert,

I'm very impressed with the shots of QUICKSILVER. Another example of 'Timming'? 

One thing which occurs to me, however, is every time you take a (most-natural) shot in the proximity of North Box, looking north, I'm convinced that double slip must be wired incorrectly in some way. As it's set up (and I assume 60015 has the road), there is no protection from the RH sidings - a free-running vehicle or an 'illegal' move would run right out on to the Up main running line. That slip, in reality, should act as a trap point, with any 'rogue' vehicle being diverted to the right as we look, from both sidings (if this is possible). 

Perhaps someone with knowledge of such track geometry will explain. I could, of course, be wrong. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes Tony, Quicksilver is more of Tim's work. We are gradually working through all the A4s, but there are still a few to be done.

The slip is my fault again. I should always set it to the opposite configuration after I have brought something in or out of the carriage sidings or the engine road, but as is so often the case, I forget. when I redo the sequence prompt, I'll try to remember to put the instruction in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

One question, is that the parish of Saltfleetby St Peters, Saltfleetby St Leonards or Saltfleetby All Saints?

As a matter of interest Clive, which parish was the station in? If any of them.

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, great northern said:

As a matter of interest Clive, which parish was the station in? If any of them.

Hi Gilbert

Looking at a 1950s map it is in the boundary of All Saints despite it being between St Peter and St Clement (which I called St Leonard earlier, there isn't a yellow man pillock thing) along the main road, called Main Road now but is Mar Dyke on some older maps. 

All very strange around here, but is a lovely place to live. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

OK, back to being sensible now. We need a bit of silliness in these times though, don't we?  Here comes the Up Tees Tyne Pullman.

96634403_12teestyne.JPG.d54223016dff41f9d6059744b52d786a.JPG

Something strange seems to be happening to the front roff of North Box? I don't think the bobby would be pleased by the extra ventilation!

Sorry to be a pedant.

Keep well.

Regards

Chris H

2 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Something strange seems to be happening to the front roff of North Box? I don't think the bobby would be pleased by the extra ventilation!

Sorry to be a pedant.

Keep well.

Regards

Chris H

Nor that the guttering on the west side has disappeared. 

This sort of thing shows the 'cruelty' of the camera. That said, I find it the most useful tool for checking my modelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes Tony, Quicksilver is more of Tim's work. We are gradually working through all the A4s, but there are still a few to be done.

The slip is my fault again. I should always set it to the opposite configuration after I have brought something in or out of the carriage sidings or the engine road, but as is so often the case, I forget. when I redo the sequence prompt, I'll try to remember to put the instruction in there.

Thanks Gilbert,

Though it should automatically set to 'safe' once the main line is cleared.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Sorry to be a pedant.

Keep well.

Regards

Chris H

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Nor that the guttering on the west side has disappeared. 

This sort of thing shows the 'cruelty' of the camera. That said, I find it the most useful tool for checking my modelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks both. It had been like that for a while actually. I'm posting images from over a week ago at present. I did check it a few days back, and found that somehow the roof had been very slightly knocked sideways. A touch put it back where it should be. As Tony says, the camera is so cruel, and exaggerates something if it possibly can.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Oops, looks like the Box roof has been accidentally knocked, forced the drainpipe and top bracket out of line too.

These things can happen so easily, especially signals.

all is well with the roof on page 949.

Peter 

Edited by Gravy Train

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Oops, looks like the Box roof has been accidentally knocked, forced the drainpipe and top bracket out of line too.

These things can happen so easily, especially signals.

all is well with the roof on page 949.

Peter 

Yes, it is OK now Peter. All it needed was tipping forward very slightly. I can't see any damage at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1