Wagon repair depots or works

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a OO/4mm layout, as part of which I'd like to include a facility where wagons are taken for mainentance and repair. The problem is, beyond the very obvious of some sort of works building and some storage sidings, I'm not really sure what should be included and I wondered if anybody could give me some pointers? I imagine that the sort of peripheral activities that may go on might include vehicle washing and painting, and maybe somewhere to discharge the remnants of loads from tankers or bulk wagons, but I'm guessing really. Essentially, what I'm looking for is details of any specific activities that wouldn't just take place inside an anonymouse building.

Whilst it's a bit of a cliche, I like the idea of this sort of facility as it gives an excuse to run a variety of wagons in sometimes unusual formations. I do have a reasonable amount of space that I'd like to devote to this - about 10ft x 18 inches - and if it makes any difference, it is located on the Western Region some time in the '70s.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Darren

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a layout, as part of which I'd like to include a facility where wagons are taken for mainentance and repair. The problem is, beyond the very obvious of some sort of works building and some storage sidings, I'm not really sure what should be included and I wondered if anybody could give me some pointers? I imagine that the sort of peripheral activities that may go on might include vehicle washing and painting, and maybe somewhere to discharge the remnants of loads from tankers or bulk wagons, but I'm guessing really. Essentially, what I'm looking for is details of any specific activities that wouldn't just take place inside an anonymouse building.

Whilst it's a bit of a cliche, I like the idea of this sort of facility as it gives an excuse to run a variety of wagons in sometimes unusual formations. I do have a reasonable amount of space that I'd like to devote to this - about 10ft x 18 inches - and if it makes any difference, it is located on the Western Region some time in the '70s.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Darren

We used to overlook Wagon Repairs (later Marcrofts, then Axiom) at Stoke. Outside features there included:-

a fenced-off compound, where tanks would be purged and the resultant fumes flared off

a lot of concreted yard, some served by an overhead crane, used to exchange wheelsets and bogies

sections of isolated track to store spare bogies and wheelsets (don't forget to cover the exposed ends of the axles- in latter days, this was done by leaving the bearings in place)

an area where old wagons, or parts thereof, were cut up for scrap.

During this period there were several private wagon repair facilities in Cardiff

e.g

Powell Duffryn, Maindy, on the 'up' side of the Taff vale main line just north of Cathays C & W.

Wagon Repairs Ltd. at East Moors Rd. - underneath what is now Cardiff Rod Mill.

Taff Wagon Works, Ferry Road, fed by the Grangetown - Penarth/Ely Tidal Harbour branch.

Powell Duffryn also leased the former GWR 'Loan Act' engine shed at the south end of Radyr Yard where they mainly repaired tank wagons. this closed during the mid-80s and at that time employed two differing Ruston Hornsby shunters.

Another wagon works had existed off the Roath Branch Jct - Cardiff Docks line in the Colchester Ave. trading estate, but this closed circa 1970.

I will try to find further info when I get home.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian, that's excellent! With the name of the company, I've managed to find their site in Stoke and the satellite view on Google Maps gives loads detail:

post-7013-127910185366.jpg

(this isn't on maximum zoom either)

I've got no chance of fitting everything in, but I should be able to get a flavour of the operations. It's interesting to see all of the relatively tight radius bends too, which will help :)

Interesting shot. With yours being on the WR, you now have an excuse to build and run a Ruston DE165 0-6-0, class 97/65X, the ex WR PWM650-4.

Judith Edge kits has just released on in 4mm ;)

BR2975 mentioned them above. My favourite little shunter, ran in green, BR blue, then yellow.

They must have known the photographer was coming, as it's been tidied up.... Not a lot in the yard either.

The piles of wheels and bogies are in the top left corner of the photo. Two bits of the main sheds have been extended forward, as the site's started to deal more with longer wagons and with coaches. What isn't visible in the photo is the series of traversers to the right of the main buildings, which allow vehicles to be transferred from one shop to another, without having to use the points in front of the buildings- in busier times, all these outside tracks would have had vehicles standing on them.

Marcrofts had several other works into the 1980s. I don't know anything about the Coalville site, but they had a big site at Port Tennant (Swansea), and a smaller one served by a spur off the BP&GV yard at Burry Port. This was one single-ended shed (green corrugated iron, if I remember correctly) with perhaps four roads. The longest of these would just hold a Cartic-4 set, the Tolemans vehicles being fitted with canopies there in the early 1980s. There was also a site at Radstock, which Mike (Stationmaster) might be able to give details of- this was 'Bazzed' in Model Railways during the 1970s, I believe ('Baz' did a two-page spread, with a large photo of somewhere, surrounded by annotated pen and ink drawings of interesting, and often overlooked, features.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shot. With yours being on the WR, you now have an excuse to build and run a Ruston DE165 0-6-0, class 97/65X, the ex WR PWM650-4.

Judith Edge kits has just released on in 4mm ;)

BR2975 mentioned them above. My favourite little shunter, ran in green, BR blue, then yellow.

Thanks, I'll bare that in mind :) I'll probably make do with an upgraded Bachmann Junior diesel initially though, as I already have one to convert.

They must have known the photographer was coming, as it's been tidied up.... Not a lot in the yard either.

The piles of wheels and bogies are in the top left corner of the photo. Two bits of the main sheds have been extended forward, as the site's started to deal more with longer wagons and with coaches. What isn't visible in the photo is the series of traversers to the right of the main buildings, which allow vehicles to be transferred from one shop to another, without having to use the points in front of the buildings- in busier times, all these outside tracks would have had vehicles standing on them.

<snip>

On the wider view, there doesn't appear to be a 'traditional' traverser behind those buildings with the associated pit. There is what looks like a cradle though, and what may be tracks set into an area of hardstanding that's shared with some skips and lorry trailers. :huh:

There are some very good photographs of a wagon repair facility in 'Private Owner Wagons in Colour' by David Ratcliffe (Ian Allen ISBN 978 0 7110 3365 8 ) page 77.

Thanks for the tip. I've just found (and purchased) a cheap copy on eBay :)

I believe Marcroft also had a site off Swansea Burrows, South Wales. Brian may know of this one, I have built a PD wagon repair facility on my layout but its only a single track into the depot building, Im going to hold any wagons for repair in the local marshelling yard.

Looking forward to seeing the start of your layout,

regards

Leon.

I believe Marcroft also had a site off Swansea Burrows, South Wales. Brian may know of this one, I have built a PD wagon repair facility on my layout but its only a single track into the depot building, Im going to hold any wagons for repair in the local marshelling yard.

regards

Leon.

The one at 'Swansea Burrows' was in fact at Port Tennant, on the Swansea side of Burrows yard. When I last visited the Rev. Lewis, the site was being converted into housing, with the only recognisable feature being the 'Tin Mission' which was built out over part of the site. Shame it's not there any more. It was served by a connection off the former Rhondda and Swansea Bay line to St Thomas, which continued to link into the former Midland route to Morriston and beyond.

You don't need to stick just to wagons in your repair facility either.

Circa 1970 I did my regular trip to Newport Docks to see what was being dismembered in the yard of John Cashmore, and for some inexplicable reason wandered around to the United Wagon works premises, to find the doors open, no wagons but ....... 6000 'King George V' which was being restored to working order by the staff of A.R.Adams. We scoffed when they told us it was 'going back on the main line' - but it did, and we were at Severn Tunnel Jct to see its' triumphant return.

A.R.Adams were a company well known for hiring out engines to industrial operators, they were also a firm of boilersmiths. They were doing little or no railway work by that time, so had to go 'cap in hand' to the wagon works for accomodation.

Brian R

Leon,

RFS once had a wagon repair facility at Tidal, into the 1990s, which included a siding, and a blue painted 20' ISO container with their company logo on it.

I 'may' have a photo somewhere.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

regards

Leon.

We had two roads full of RTCs 'awaiting repair' in the Up yard at Radyr in my time - about 70-80 vehicles in total ranging from 100 tonners down to ancient 4-wheelers registered in the 1930s.

They were held against PD order and simply tripped down to Maindy when either the owner had decided he wanted them back in traffic or PD were short of work. And - as already mentioned - PD were also using the old loco shed at Radyr.

The two pics below (sorry to those of you who have seen them before) show a bit of both these things, the upper one shows the RTCs in the Up yard at extreme right while the lower pic has the old loco shed in the centre background.

post-6859-12791843126_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127918433847_thumb.jpg

I know Peterborough isn't in the Western Region, but the wagon works is a bit smaller

Chris Leigh wrote an article about this in a Model Rail some years ago - IIRC there was some pre-printed parts for making some of the buildings.

Paul Bartlett

York

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all of the additional info, chaps. That yard in Peterborough is particularly inspiring, given its' size!

I shall digest all the details and then report back when I've had a chance to see what I can fit in the space available.

Thanks for all of the additional info, chaps. That yard in Peterborough is particularly inspiring, given its' size!

I shall digest all the details and then report back when I've had a chance to see what I can fit in the space available.

There were quite a few sites where wagon repairs were (and in some cases still are) carried out in the open air. Llanelli had a road in the goods yard with a concrete shed on a platform (like the Ratio Provender shed), the shed being used to house stores. I don't think they even had a fixed jack, but relied on the one in the back of the van. The modern-day equivalent, at East Usk for example, uses old ISO containers as storage.

• RMweb Gold

hmrspaul: having a look on your site i stumbled across the "tanks used as storage" section, after my stepdads company (c.c.crump) stopped doing railway wagons and went into iso container work we had a "bromine purge plant" that used 2 ex shell oil tankers (45ton?) for water and sodium thyosulphate, basically all they did was cut everything off below solebar level and weld girders to them as stands also we used a what i think was an experimental ex ukf tank wagon which was made of stainless steel for holding caustic soda, when they moved from connahs quay all were cut up and replaced with plastic tanks.

a feature the site had for years including the time it was a wagon shop were grounded fruit vans which were used as stores, we even had an old conflat container for storage

i didn't get any pictures of the old site before we left but the original building was from about 1950 and stayed in use until 1996ish before being levelled, if i remember right that may have had a traverser when it was built, it also had a shotblast bay and spray booth, the new building was from the late 70s? and i think is still standing in a very derelect state, that had 4 roads, all with pits and there was a large overhead crane, towards the end after the railway was severed the pits were filled bar a couple

Darren

Many of the photographs on my fotopic site are taken in wagon works - especially the more modern PO wagons.

This paved area is where work is done http://gallery6801.f...t/p8935029.html and http://gallery6801.f...t/p8968150.html

and a means of lifting wagons is necessary

http://gallery6801.f.../p16836211.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p44172825.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p26558237.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p40129945.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p44562974.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p47623014.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p56628773.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p55758772.html

http://gallery6801.f.../p17272488.html

By the way I agree about the usefulness of such a works for modelling, - my effort is here. http://ebormodelrail...t/c1050009.html

Regards

Paul Bartlett

York

As my next layout is planned to be a modern day (2002 + ) small wagon repaire depot, very interesting and usefull thread to mark up!

Thanks

Hi Darren, I have a small single road wagon repair facility on my South Wales layout, this has been a very helpfull thread, maybe I will extend the works now...lol

Good luck with yours and look forward to seeing more..

Cheers

Leon

Not on the Western region but here is a photo of Jake's Tank Cleaning Services at Ellesmere Port taken late1981 or early 1982.

Jake's was situated on MSC sidings that had once been the site of a LNWR loco shed.

post-6748-127979276439.jpg

They later went into wagon repairs as well and erected 2 nissen hut style buildings over the sidings and acquired a small diesel (a Ruston I think)

In the station goods yard Marcrofts rented siding space to repair wagons; when the yard was cleared, they moved onto the MSC by the loco compund between Ellesmere Port and Stanlow.

Both closed in the mid 1990's as the freight traffic in the area vanished.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the extra details and piccies, folks. It's all good stuff and being fed into the mix of ideas. I actually fixed the bit of baseboard down this evening that my repair works will occupy, so I really need to finalise a plan now!

My copy of Private Owner Wagons in Colour has just arrived too, which is nice :)

Thanks for all the extra details and piccies, folks. It's all good stuff and being fed into the mix of ideas. I actually fixed the bit of baseboard down this evening that my repair works will occupy, so I really need to finalise a plan now!

My copy of Private Owner Wagons in Colour has just arrived too, which is nice :)

Hi Darren

Hope you like the book and here is a little extra info on Jake RTCS at Ellesmere Port. (Thanks also to flyingsignalman for the early pic - great stuff - do you have any more:)

Very little repair work was done by Jake's, tank cleaning and later repainting being their business. Unlike the larger wagon works turnaround times were often rapid with some wagons being on site for no more than a couple of days while the norm was about a week and until Shell ceased to despatch bitumen by rail their bitumen tanks were the most common type to be seen.

For instance on January 25, 1984 the company released nine wagons, all Shell 45ton bitumen tanks, to BR after cleaning: SUKO 61740/846/55/915/44 all destined for repair at WH Davis, Langwith Junction and SUKO 61102/516/43/611 also for repair to Railcar Services, Stoke.

David R

Archived