Carrick Road. A few new additions........

BlackRat

Yes a complete revamp is on the cards, a roundy with lower level yard so scale length trains can be run. Looking at a helix at each end to gain the height between the two levels.

Just waiting on a couple of things now before we make a start.

Anyone want to buy a layout? ;)

• RMweb Premium

I always remember your quote in MR...maybe 1999 or 2000... "I don't think I'll do a biggy again" (as you wanted to concentrate on detail).

It sounds like you have the situation cracked and can now combine scale with detail. Will watch developments with interest! (Btw, the original Carrick Road grabbed my attention because of the "low tech" way you made your platform surfaces).

Jeff

Jeff, remember the quote well and still adhere to it.

The current layout is approx 12' by 8' ish and is just enough to keep me busy.

It probably is a little big, as to get its full potential it really needs two operators, but much fun can still be had with 1!

The main prob at the mo, is my inability to resist buying some of the wonderful new loco's etc that are appearing at a frightening (for my wallet) rate.

I think some sort of major rationalisation is called for, because again, trying to maintain all the stock is now beyond me.

it does look nice on the display shelves tho!

I always try to apply 'low tech' or the KISS principle, as again its all a matter of time and balance. I think at the mo, I have got it about right but there's still things i want to do.

Hence the idea of a two level layout with the yard underneath, so I can run scale length trains (no more than 5 or 6 coaches) and watch the trains go by.

I can see it now in my head!

Lets hope the dream becomes reality! ;)

Here's the last couple of pics, which hopefully gives you an idea of whats gone on. :)

Neil

post-7061-0-38662300-1334486729_thumb.jpg

post-7061-0-11368400-1334486763.jpg

post-7061-0-23190500-1334486751_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ha, ha - I had to laugh reading your comments!! Between 2007 and 2010 I found it nigh on impossible to resist the fantastic loco offerings that were emerging. Only my imminent retirement has forced the purse-strings closed. Like you, I have 4 large display cabinets full of steamers and diesels, though I try to exercise them regularly. And as for the rolling stock!

Btw, do you still have your china-clay plant...very typical of your locale. And KISS - clearly an acronym? Forgive my ignorance!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff yes the China Clay plant (buildings) are all in a cupboard, but I did finish most of them off.

The harbour etc is still under there, its only a case of lifting off the cover and its all back in action......having removed the new track etc first ;)

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid, works for me every time! ;)

ps the pics look 'greener' than they actually are, Mr Nevard did explain it all to me, but I suppose I need to do some knob twiddling ( :O ) in order to get the colours more muted perhaps?

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Gold

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid, works for me every time! ;)

Yep...and for me...its good to apply this to most things in life too... :yes:

yes the China Clay plant (buildings) are all in a cupboard

That's no place to keep them Neil :O

They need to be seen and enjoyed... :D

Nice recent photos by the way...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I always feel really guilty when I see your layout as you are able to whip through work!

The new station looks really nice, lots of fun to operate, do you have a sequence or do you just run what you want when you want?

Regards,

Mr B!

• Like 1

Brinks, come on over and we can get a sequence sorted!

What it really needs is a 'yard operator' who can send stuff 'out'.

You could basically run a timetable then, but ideally you could do with 3 to reach its full potential!

As for the work, its suprising what you can do in the odd 20 mins or so. ;)

Pete, thanks, I am trying (yes really!) to remember all Chris Nevard told me, but of course he is in the Jedi Master league, but hopefully you can get a bit of an idea of whats gone on.

What I fancy with the two level jobby will be a small passing station (like Otterham etc etc) with a small clay branch..................

Again with KISS, I have thought about many different ways to sort this but I think the helix is going to be the easiest solution (!!!!!!), hopefully now using a premade one as opposed to doing my own, tho the plans were well advanced. Luckily (very) I do have acces to a workshop now and then and some expert advice when needed (from a proper 'chippy'!).

Ere we go again! ;)

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice! All you need is a bit of sepia-staining (I'm sure Chris Nevard can advise!) and the period look is complete!

Must say, black-and-white does suit your layout (that's a compliment, not a condemnation!!).

Jeff

Jeff thanks, and I know what you mean.

I think its probably to do with the colour balance or perhaps the settings on the camera.

The lighting in the room is said to be spot on (from a certain Mr N) so its prob more with what I do after.

I will see if I can sort a sepia one !

N

Much softer colours there I think, I really must suss out this photo editing mularky! :)

But for now, I think I managed this (at last!).........

post-7061-0-71503600-1334665953_thumb.jpg

Working on some new signals at the mo, a few people and trying to get the stool thingies for the point rodding.

N

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi Neil, Just had another read through and a look at the pics and also in the mag articles I have kept for ideas to get ready for my OO BR / SR / WR polt. I have a 9 X 7 room so will need to compress quite a bit. Thinking of the Berrow Branch style, its all in the planning. Still a great layout, well done, all the best Andy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Whilst trying to work out the inricicies of those fangled helixy things I find I have the odd half hour and rather than sat twiddling my oversize

thumbs (or surfing the net) I have been playing about with some odds and sods of plastic sheet, rod and section, (theres masses in the spares

A4 box file), and have come up with a few things.

A new water crane, which was one of a new design by the LSWR specifically for the branch, and the start of a new signal (or two).

Perhaps not quite premier league, but they'll do for me, for now anyway!

Here's a (rough) pic!......

post-7061-0-30609200-1348307569_thumb.jpg

Just need to finish the crane with a dab or two of paint!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 3

post-7061-0-84402800-1348334581_thumb.jpg

Painted and in need of weathering!

Just blutacked onto a quick scenic diorama for a quick pic.

Just goes to show really that no real skill is needed to 'create' things for your layout and whilst not strictly prototypical, this WAs especially designed for the line!

Just a few more to make!

ps it also swivels (as I have often been told to do!) and the wheel does rotate! (hmmmmm yes been told to do that tooooo!).

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

ps it also swivels (as I have often been told to do!) and the wheel does rotate! (hmmmmm yes been told to do that tooooo!).

...but does the water flow through it?...:P

Nice work Neil...amazing what you can find in the rummage box and finish with something as good as this...

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your excellent modelling, Carrick Road is such an inspirational layout & ticks all of the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

It's great to see someone actually modelling & not just passing their hard earned over to a major manufacturer.

Keep up the good work buddy, & hopefully we'll meet up again, possibly Taunton next month, & I'll bring the famous Barnstaple MRC 9F tender tea mug!

Have you toned down the shirts yet, or is it still 'migraine fashions'!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1