Woodmere OO

pauln

Update : Woodmere Mark 1 is no more. If you want to skip direct to the new layout click here

After a failed attempt to keep a thread up to date on the old forum and an attempt at working with the blog format on here I have resorted to a new thread which I will try and keep more up to date.

In my mind the layout is based somewhere to the south west of London where the mainline from London is joined by a branch from somewhere further west. To be honest this is the first layout I have built for 30 years so it is more of a freelance effort to provide somewhere for running trains whilst I think about a more serious and accurate layout (in a few years time).

Startup

IMG_8531Medium.jpg

Electrics

IMG_0178_Small.jpg

Ballasting underway

014_Medium.jpg

A whole batch of retaining walls underway

015_Medium.jpg

IMG_0799_Medium.jpg

IMG_0802_Medium.jpg

IMG_0815_Medium.jpg

And bringing the photos up to date ... has it really taken 2 years to get this far? Work has been far too busy this year.

Bachmann 4 CEPS laying over

IMG_0814_Medium.jpg

Diesel depot with rather a wide range of locos

5b2df9e0.jpg

Station yard and parking for Network Rail vans

b9a10871.jpg

Station platforms taking shape (only partially modelled, under the bridge is the loop round to the hidden sidings)

583882ca.jpg

Overbridge with some work still to do (and cars to replace with something a bit more to scale!)

a6635558.jpg

Looking like a great start to a layout. I know you've been working on it for 2 years, but trust me I know that feeling!

Really like the depot & fuelling point and the use of the Scalescenes downloads.

Looking forward to your updates.

Dave

I like the layout.. amazing how much you can fit in a small space! keep up the good work!

now, a question on the 411's... is it just me, or is getting the body shell off a whole lot harder than it should be? what method did you use to get them off?

Thanks.

Yes it was difficult - I think I used some bits of thin plastic to try and prise the body off all round before lifting it. Very nervewracking with a £100 plus model.

Thanks.

Yes it was difficult - I think I used some bits of thin plastic to try and prise the body off all round before lifting it. Very nervewracking with a £100 plus model.

Yes, very nervewracking! I have two to do, and have been putting them off for a couple months now... lol

• 1 month later...

After many many weekends of working I had the choice of a visit to Warley but decided instead to spend some time on my much neglected railway (thus saving 6 hours travelling and probably quite a bit of cash).

Spent a bit of time tidying up the station area. I found roads rather difficult to get satisfactory - I tried paint, metcalfe tarmac and scalescenes downloads and none were quite right. Then I tried very fine grade wet and dry which I felt was better (and is the material used in the yard and the road approaching it) and finally settled on thick black card for the station area. See what you think.

36fc98c3.jpg

f4ebad32.jpg

acac71a6.jpg

81d5848c.jpg

05800a18.jpg

Sooner or later I must dig out the uk buses rather than relying on a Hong Kong one for working out road spacings and stuff.

Also at some point I will have to remove some of the London Underground look from the station building but it was the closest one to what I was looking for - modern building with the height that the office block provides.

As well the scenic work I coded a couple more DCC locos and got Panel Pro working on a spare laptop with my Hornby Elite. Next stop WiThrottle.

Looking good Paul

As well the scenic work I coded a couple more DCC locos and got Panel Pro working on a spare laptop with my Hornby Elite. Next stop WiThrottle.

It does work OK. But it doesn't extend the functions. E.G. I have a sound loco that goes past F12 for functions (ironically its a Hornby class 56 loco and Hornby's premium (sic) controller doesn't go past F12!)

I was hoping that going down the WiThrottle route would fix that but it doesn't :angry: .

Guy

Hi PaulN

Great looking Photos matey

Will you be installing a 3RD Rail for the Bachmann 4 CEPS...?

Do you have a Track Plan to show us the Full Layout/Size...?

Keep up the excellent work...

Jamie

Thanks for the feedback. I am toying with the idea of trying a bit of third rail if only to get some practice in for the next layout. I don't have a track plan but this photo will show you the whole layout.

IMG_0131_Small.jpg

Looking good Paul

It does work OK. But it doesn't extend the functions. E.G. I have a sound loco that goes past F12 for functions (ironically its a Hornby class 56 loco and Hornby's premium (sic) controller doesn't go past F12!)

I was hoping that going down the WiThrottle route would fix that but it doesn't :angry: .

Guy

Thanks. I wasn't expecting it to extend the function list but being able to wander around the layout will be handy.

• 2 months later...

A bit more work over the last few days filling in some of the missing ballasting, planting a few (non-working) signals, and improving some of the road surface. I also laid a bit of track disguised as redundant rails but actually a programming track (see the pic of the 37 below).

I have also swapped from a Hornby Elite to a NCE Powercab that I grabbed off Ebay for a very reasonable price. Whilst the Elite has served me well through my early DCC days I wish I'd moved over to NCE a while ago (I actually started with Lenz but I just couldn't get on with all the coded displays!). I like it so much I've already bought and installed the USB link to work with the laptop/Decoder Pro.

Anyway on with the pics ...

post-961-0-74605200-1295807184_thumb.jpg

post-961-0-98890000-1295807196_thumb.jpg

post-961-0-00847500-1295807215_thumb.jpg

And finally I have had a part built Southern Pride 3H unit for several years. To be honest I never expected to get it as far as I did and then I just lost interest in finishing it. Well today I installed a decoder to the Black Beetle motor. I know its one of the most simple but this is the first non plug-in decoder I've ever done so I'm pleased not only that I did it but that it actually works. Still a lot of finishing work to do to the model though.

post-961-0-49461300-1295807227_thumb.jpg

Comments welcome.

• 9 months later...

So Woodmere Mark 1 is no more. Due to a more pressing need for our loft room the layout has had to be dismantled. Overall I think this is a good thing as it will give me a chance to put the knowledge from my first layout into doing something better next time round. I have a replacement room and, having gathered some views on another thread, I have decided to utilise kitchen units as the base for the layout. This is mostly because it will be the only storage for models that I will be able to have.

Here are a couple of photos of the units in position.

A couple of observations.

If you keep models in the cupboards you need some protection between them and the baseboards at the very least whilst construction is in progress.

My baseboards came from a previous layout and thus are a little deeper than the units. Therefore some additional cross bracing is needed to rest the baseboards in line with the side and front edges of the kitchen units otherwise the baseboard sags over the front and side.

I bought the units from B&Q for about £50-£55 each depending on the size. Originally I was planning not to include doors but I was "persuaded" otherwise which added to the cost a bit but do make the room look tidier and keep the contents cleaner.

post-961-0-55034200-1321797921_thumb.jpg

post-961-0-26594100-1321797961_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will make quicker progress this time round than last time. I am definitely going to keep the track plan simpler.

Good luck with your fresh new start

You sound quite energised by the thought rather than depressed

What changes do you have in mind or what did you learn from your trial layout?

My BWYF is my first ever attempt - but I may be facing a house move soon and wondering (already what I would change)

I liked the urban feel of your Mk1 version

Have fun

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Christmas seems to be the only time when I get a good run at working on the railway. Following the dismantling of the old layout I have started on the new. Determined not to make the mistakes I made previously (working under the baseboards with a hot glue gun is not a very rewarding experience) I have laid the track on one board adding dropper wires as I go and adding them under the rails rather than on the side. When I have finished one board I can turn it over, wire in the DCC bus, test it and then put it right side up and start on the next one.

A couple of pics of progress on the board building and a few bits of track laid - see first pic. I have also swapped to concrete sleepered track for a more modern approach and this will also have a third rail added in honour of my fleet of CEPs (and ssssshhhh ! a VEP)

507c7dde.jpg

1d4b88c2.jpg

8b01e603.jpg

I failed miserably at soldering the track to screws at the edge of the first board so have bought some PCB to try again.

Another xmas holiday day off and another bit of progress. Most of the droppers in the first board are connected and a few trial runs have taken place successfully, some more track has been laid in the terminating platforms (the concrete sleepered track is where the through platforms are - just big enough for an 8 car CEP/VEP or an HST set). The two main terminating platforms are big enough for a 4 car. Terminating trains will then reverse into the carriage sidings on the next board (under the window).

90345c36.jpg

f09186e9.jpg

Open question : I could use the last bit of track nearest the front of the board as a loco headshunt and have a loco shed on the same board (see pic below). Is this crowding too much onto a single board? If I put it elsewhere I might only have space for the Bachmann single track servicing depot - which I do rather like.

fa1a16b9.jpg

I would use the Bachmann single track one - I think it looks a lot more realistic (modelled on peterborough), i think the Hornby one was based on Ripple Lane.

You got to ask yourself the question - If you have a 5 platform station how big would the fuel/MPD be ? For instance Newton Abbott had quite a big depot for a comparatively modest station. I have often fallen into the trap, though, of trying to squeeze a grandoise MPD into a small gap I have left. When you look at these places (like bristol or old oak) they were actually mahoosive.I think less is more maybe - but it's your trainset of course.

Thanks. I think you're both right and I was inclining towards not having it in that location. I might leave a couple of spare bits of wiring just in case .......

Now I need to think about how I will represent the station building. It can either be on an overbridge section to the far left of the first pic in post #17 or it will be "imagined" as a photo on the backscene. I did take a recent liking to the Bachmann Art Deco station but I can't really fit it in now.

Might I make a suggestion? How about going for something brutalist and minimalist for the station building on the overbridge section? I'm namely thinking of Burton-Upon-Trent's railway station, which is, frankly, awful. It is however, nice and small!

Might I make a suggestion? How about going for something brutalist and minimalist for the station building on the overbridge section? I'm namely thinking of Burton-Upon-Trent's railway station, which is, frankly, awful. It is however, nice and small!

Eeek! I have just searched out a photo. That is a tiny bit too brutalist but the aerial shot does show the sort of arrangement I envisaged. I do like the modern station building on one of the scottish layouts (I can't remember which) so modern is good.

Eeek! I have just searched out a photo. That is a tiny bit too brutalist but the aerial shot does show the sort of arrangement I envisaged. I do like the modern station building on one of the scottish layouts (I can't remember which) so modern is good.

Foul isn't it? Especially when you consider the beautiful building it replaced. :P

A few extra days off work have been put to good use on the layout. Track laying on the main station board is complete except for the track crossing to the next board and wiring is also almost complete. Learning the lesson from Woodmere Mk1 all of the wiring has been done with the board on its edge (see pic) rather than mostly from below. The result has been much less swearing and far less opportunity to drop hot glue onto my skin. All of the wiring has been checked with a test train and all worked first time except for a dodgy crossover which has been replaced.

aa504df9.jpg

I have also made a good start on the track for the narrow board under the window. This holds the crossovers approaching the main station (and ideally would be in one straight line approaching the station but there isn't room!). Trains can pass from up to down and vice versa and there's also a carriage siding there too; though this may become an incline up to a branch line if I can get to grips with improving my ability to run track across boards effectively.

97f65474.jpg

Next step, which will probably have to wait till next weekend will be to put a coat of paint on the track. First grey primer then concrete (Halfords Peugot beige) and finally some sleeper grime (is there a Halfords match for this? - I have Rover Brown but I think it is going to be too glossy)

• 2 weeks later...

With the wiring on board 1 complete I am dividing my attention between the track laying and wiring on board 2 and starting off some of the preparation of the track for ballasting. A coat of trusty Halfords grey primer to start and, for the concrete track, a couple of coats of Antelope Beige. Now I have started on painting the rail sides with Sleeper Grime (Railmatch) and for the wooden track trying out some matt paints on the sleepers. I did try a brown Halfords spray but like the last one it is too glossy (and doh! what an idiot - it is the same paint as the last one; no wonder it looks the same).

Next up will be some ballasting using Javis Fine Ballast which looks a little bit big - might have to crunch it up a bit more first.

Couple of pics

post-961-0-21651100-1327169149_thumb.jpg

post-961-0-98090200-1327169159_thumb.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome. I'm not happy with the way the rail sides look yet; I'm hoping the ballast takes the focus away from them a bit.

Archived