Rail Express Modeller - October 2010

grahame

The modelling supplement this month is 32 pages and the regular Mostyn serialisation has gone - it's no more, it doesn't exist, it is deceased.

Contents include;

* News (Kernow latest plans, O gauge Heljan class 31,)

* Major review of Bachmann class 03

* Modellers guide to steel coil traffic (6 pages)

* Bachmann OO round up (mk1 GUVs, etc)

* Review of Heljan class 26

* N gauge round up (from TINGS, new Farish and NGS announcements, review of mk1 coaches)

* One page of oddball snippets/articles (prices, American loco, exhibition diary)

* Lots of adverts.

G

• RMweb Gold

bought rail express as usual this month, pretty dissapointed for a change, some god awful cropping of pictures elsewhere in the mag (dbso picture towards the rear of the mag) and a table of GBRf locos plonked straight onto the edge of a picture completly spoiling it, the 03 pics in the modelling section look a bit over exposed too.

personally i won't miss mostyn, no reason in particular but never grabbed me as a serial

i did enjoy the main mag bit about the last days of the 24's, mainly for the dee marsh and penyffordd piccies

I have only had a quick read but disappointed by the end of the Mostyn section, there were some fantastic articles over the years, so hope that the replacement live up to the hype in the editorial.

Mostyn were previously promising that this year (2010) was going to be the year of the Mk2 and Mk3 coach. Has anybody got any news/updates on this front as we will obviously not now be seeing an article in Rail Express.

• RMweb Gold

Mostyn were previously promising that this year (2010) was going to be the year of the Mk2 and Mk3 coach. Has anybody got any news/updates on this front as we will obviously not now be seeing an article in Rail Express.

They have a website which could be used to publish the articles, although it still claims "Keep reading the serial for all the latest developments!" so not updated recently.

Personally I didn't rate the articles anyway, they never actually demonstrated how to copy their modelling, no shopping lists, no dimensions etc :unsure:

Although the Mostyn serial was not to everyone's taste, I certainly enjoyed it. The problem I found with Rail Express is that, although I don't mind reading the rest of the magazine, the reason to buy it was the modelling supplement, and it has tended to have too few articles with any modelling content whatsoever. This isssue is a case in point.

However, I will be interested to see what replaces the Mostyn articles. From what I read into the editorial the replacement will be a substantial project (B New Street perhaps???)

Chris

• RMweb Premium

However, I will be interested to see what replaces the Mostyn articles. From what I read into the editorial the replacement will be a substantial project (B New Street perhaps???)

As much as I like BR blue and the P4 New Street project I'd like to see something a bit different from the serialised projects - perhaps a different era or scale. From a personal point of view I'd like to see some sector era N Gauge or maybe something less specific - setting up an advanced DCC system for example.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

In the latest REX modeller (issue 78) the editor comes against more RTR models of 'obscure' protoypes, and wants the manufacterers in 4mm to upgrade/update the more common

classes of Diesels and electrics. I must say that there is some sense in this-would most people prefer (tho not all) a better class 52/67/73 than a Fell diesel and a couple of gas turbines?

Actually there are quite a long list of diesel classes that could be bettered- I have just picked the obvious ones. I think there is also an issue whether 'collectibility' is becoming a dominant force

in the hobby- tho lots of us do collect locos for future projects but the hobby needs the everyday locos too- hence the push for more small goods engines in steam RTR.

In the latest REX modeller (issue 78) the editor comes against more RTR models of 'obscure' protoypes, and wants the manufacterers in 4mm to upgrade/update the more common

classes of Diesels and electrics. I must say that there is some sense in this-would most people prefer (tho not all) a better class 52/67/73 than a Fell diesel and a couple of gas turbines?

Actually there are quite a long list of diesel classes that could be bettered- I have just picked the obvious ones. I think there is also an issue whether 'collectibility' is becoming a dominant force

in the hobby- tho lots of us do collect locos for future projects but the hobby needs the everyday locos too- hence the push for more small goods engines in steam RTR.

I'd love an updated Class 67 and Class 59, to the same standard as the Class 60 - Hornby if you're watching !!:rolleyes:

Guest jim s-w

As much as I like BR blue and the P4 New Street project I'd like to see something a bit different from the serialised projects - perhaps a different era or scale. From a personal point of view I'd like to see some sector era N Gauge or maybe something less specific - setting up an advanced DCC system for example.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

You don't have to worry Stephen. If it's bns no one has told me!

Cheers

Jim

Archived