The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Excuse me but if you really believe in GWR,  you'll know 1912 -1922 the correct colour for carriages is crimson lake.. 

But in 1922 came the great reformations of St Charles of Collett (blessed be his name), and from his labours came “The Castle”, proof indeed that the GWR truly IS God’s Wondrous Railway.  Out went boring Crimson Lake, in came fresh and exciting Chocolate and Cream.

We have never looked back...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

We have never looked back...

... or forward. The essential appeal of the Great Western is its timelessness - country branch lines with essentially the same little locomotives doing the same tasks in the same way with the same staff at any time from the 1860s to the 1960s.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... or forward. The essential appeal of the Great Western is its timelessness - country branch lines with essentially the same little locomotives doing the same tasks in the same way with the same staff at any time from the 1860s to the 1960s.

I thought Mike said he was celebrating just 55 years. :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 19

Evening all.

So following on from my recent offshore investment in a new dcc controller I've put some money (we're talking serious double figures) into an onshore investment and bought another item of rolling stock from a more local supplier. Maroon coloured, having consulted some 2012 livery knowledge from Chrisf. 

And on another topic entirely I took a look at the space suit design to be used this evening. I think the fact that it's for use only within the capsule itself may have simplified the design task. From experience every time you attempt to counter one more environmental or operational challenge - be it pressure, g, temperature, mobility....the design implications grow like topsey. I'd say the Musk team will have done well from a standing start to get this to work. 

• Like 16

A large box (2.75 cf) just arrived for only 0.42 cf of soft, fairly indestructible contents. Of course there were also inflatable plastic pillows inside. An extra five sets of what I purchased could probably have fit with room to spare.

Summer is on it's way for the next few days. We're headed for 28°C today and north of 30°C for the next two days. Right now it is a scintillating 23°C with cloudless deep blue skies. Very pleasant with open windows and fans right now, but I might be tempted to crank the A/C later in the day.

I went out to bring the bins in but the recycling truck has not yet visited. They may have a double round after the Memorial Day holiday on Monday.

I have things to do and should get a move on but I will wait to see if the manned Dragon/Falcon 9 mission launches in little more than an hour from now. The countdown clock is running and the weather looks clear enough.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

Ads

Blocking them?

I can't be ar5ed.

Me too. With Chrome as soon as I look at something on a 'sales' website, that page wins the AdChoices by Google 'micro auction' for my eyeballs and I get ads for whatever I looked at (or even purchased) last. At least it is inoffensive. Occasionally I get something random, but 90% of it is websites I have visited using the same browser.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have never been bothered by the ads before. As Ozexpatriate says they are normally a website you have just looked at but the past six or so weeks it has been solid ladies underwear from sites that I have never looked at or even knew about. While the models were very attractive they were going to cause major problems at home so something had to be done. Well at the moment I appear to have sorted the problem which is good.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Yesterday around this time I said I would not be posting due to the content of most of the adverts that appeared on the side of my screen. This morning I decided I was not going to be beaten so I  spent the day going in and out of all the threads I follow and every time an advert with ladies in underwear appeared I clicked on the corner with an X. After spending the first part of the morning putting "inappropriate" as my comment I was still getting the adverts so I changed tack and put "repetitive" as my comment and the adverts have been replaced with ones for shoes and stationary! So a successful day for me but that means you are now going to have to put up with my waffle again, sorry!

So these new ads won't be moving anytime soon, then?! ;)

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

My wife managed two longer than usual walks today but we noticed that the locals are taking a lot less care with the idea of social distancing which is a bit of a worry. Had a cheap Co-op pizza each this evening but added extra cheese and finely sliced onion which really made a difference. 

Spent all day with the radio on Chris Country and once Women of iHeart Country has finished I will go to Spotify and my Lainey Wilson playlist.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Excuse me but if you really believe in GWR,  you'll know 1912 -1922 the correct colour for carriages is crimson lake.. 

Good point, but for most herein unless they are well into their first century, choc and cream with white roofs are the order of the day.  At least on my railway!;)

Brian.

• Like 12

Tragedy:o At least in my tinplate train world; the lead to the turntable and the engine shed has lost power!  Normally no big deal but probably means getting underneath the layout, not something to be relished in my advancing years.  Hopefully it may only be the control switch, but U can't really complain as its been trouble free these last twenty years or so!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening yet again from Estuary-Land. The ads that I get are also linked to my searches and to discount companies I have made purchases through such as Woucher and Groupon though the latest is garden sheds, not unexpectedly. The bargain sites are remainder mail order outlets and have quite a few bargains.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Orwell and Asimov - parallels.

You're just daring me to make political comments! ;)  (I'm thinking about MiniTrue and Twitter's newly implemented policy of 'flagging' inaccurate posts and the Tweeter-in-chief's reaction to being so flagged.)

Instead I'll reserve myself to the Scrooby Separatists, who escaping persecution, first left for Leiden in 1607/8 before joining a semi-commercial venture intended for Virginia in 1620, in part it appears so that their children did not grow up to be Dutch. My favourite irony of this episode is that the book revered by those of an evangelical persuasion in the US was commissioned by their persecutor in 1604. He was morphed into the 'tyrannical King' leit motif of the way American history is taught to children. That he also commissioned what to many is "The" bible is not reinforced.

The Dragon/Falcon 9 launch was scrubbed until Saturday. Let's hope the weather is more reliable then.

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have never been bothered by the ads before. As Ozexpatriate says they are normally a website you have just looked at but the past six or so weeks it has been solid ladies underwear from sites that I have never looked at or even knew about. While the models were very attractive they were going to cause major problems at home so something had to be done. Well at the moment I appear to have sorted the problem which is good.

In today's world of advertising you will be very busy deleting what you may consider objectionable ads or even papers whose aim in life is to feature half naked women on page three and elsewhere, to sell more copies.  Its easier to ignore them!:blush:

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brianusa said:

In today's world of advertising you will be very busy deleting what you may consider objectionable ads or even papers whose aim in life is to feature half naked women on page three and elsewhere, to sell more copies.  Its easier to ignore them!:blush:

Brian.

I am happy to look and then ignore but another member of the family objects so I have to do something to stay on here!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I am happy to look and then ignore ...

Empirically, at least some RMwebbers must be of a demographic that does click on those ads from time to time, otherwise you would not see them so frequently. I find that deliberately looking at unoffensive websites (preferably the same ones) makes it (mostly) predictable and even easier to ignore.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I mentioned Wowcher just now, Now I'm seeing ads for summer shirts made out of striped deck chair material. Perhaps they're camouflage so that you can sit in a deckchair on the beach breaking lock-down without being spotted.

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1