The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

They were probably Austrians pretending to be Swiss

Now that is unlikely. The people either side of that border hold some interesting views about their neighbours. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

People have been mentioning water.

Water supply and climate change. I can illustrate water supply and retention to my students this way:

Equipment:

1. Fish tank, in which I put some small plastic ducks as a level indictor. this is outflow from the reservoir.
  2. In the fish tank, an empty one litre jug, transparent. It also has a duck. This is the reservoir.
  3. Above the fish tank, leading into the jug (reservoir) is a gently sloping transparent tray. This is the catchment area for the reservoir.
  4. Then I take a litre of water in another j4g and pour it over the catchment area. The water flows into the reservoir jug and the duck rises. The reservoir is now full.
  5. Then I scoop some water out of the reservoir to represent usage. Duck level falls.
  6. Then I pour another litre of water onto the catchment, it refills the reservoir and overflows into the outflow and is lost. Ducks in the outflow rise.
  7. Then I empty everything out and put some dry car sponges on the catchment. Then repeat step 4. Some water is absorbed by the sponges, but most of it flows over and into the reservoir. The ducks do their duty. This represents rainfall onto dry upland peat.
  8. Then repeat step 7 but make sure the sponges are damp. They then absorb more water and the level in the reservoir rises not as much. Then wait, and notice that the sponges release water slowly – they drip. Then after waiting a little bit I repeat step 5, and pour another litre of water. The sponges absorb some and still drip, there is outflow but not as much. (We’ve taken a record before). This is a parallel for peat as a catchment on the hills.
  9. Meanwhile I scoop some more out of the reservoir and watch for more drips.
  10. Finally, a jug of ice cubes, representing snow, goes on the peat. Then we watch while the ice melts and I’m scooping stuff out. Meanwhile the ducks are quite happy.

All this is to illustrate reservoir capacity, the effect of drought and as winter are getting warmer (Climate Change sees winter getting warmer very much more so than summers) there is a lack of snow. This serves to illustrate how climate is affecting resources.

Next term it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to do this live, so will have to shoot a video in the back garden.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

You could divide the Great Britain  up similarly to the 9 countries. 

I can see the logic of this, and it is forming an idea. Is this your invention or does it come from somewhere else?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

It's all a matter of climate change. In many parts of the UK, the climate can change somewhat rapidly and often catches the unprepared out dramatically! This is not a new phenomenon! (and has nothing to do with the miniscule amounts of CO2 which are blamed for the current cycling of the environment.)

Except that with climate change, fuelled by increased CO2, creates the conditions for more extreme weather, including more storminess.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The country of greater Lancashire and Yorkshire,  with added,  North Cheshire  and the stuff between. Including all south of and including Newcastle. 

I fear you could start a problem by having Lancashire and Yorkshire together! I don't think they have ever forgiven each other for the Wars of the Roses. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I fear you could start a problem by having Lancashire and Yorkshire together! I don't think they have ever forgiven each other for the Wars of the Roses. 

The county my brother lives in doesn’t seem to be on the list. He probably would approve of that. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Next term it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to do this live, so will have to shoot a video in the back garden.

With real ducks...

• Like 4
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have tried to explain that one to some French friends, plenty of wine helps.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t know about you, but from those photographs that you have posted, Oscar comes across as a nice little dog, but Alfie’s expression marks him out as the “hard man“ of the duo. Probably, and I’m purely speculating here, he is a wonderful little dog whilst the treats are coming, but cross him and you’re looking at chewed up hamstrings at the very least! :jester: 

But it’s good they’re much loved. All dogs deserve that.

On a more serious note, and something I think is starting to get to the point where it’s more than just annoying, is this stupid censoring software put in place on RMWeb which censors totally innocent terminology and words – such as the name of Oscar’s breed. Having met AndyY on a number of occasions, I found him to have a very robust approach to language, so this “uptight schoolteacher“ censoring of terminology seems somewhat out of place. Could it be that sponsors and advertisers can’t deal with/don’t want to be associated with any sort of wordage that could, potentially, cause offence to someone, somewhere at some future, unforeseeable, time? Or am I being Captain Cynical again???

IL I typed it in like that as not sure of the spelling of that breed, one eyed Alfie is the bully but Oscar gives as good as he gets its funny to watch them play tug of war

with their toys Oscar drops down and is immoverble.

Morning All

I managed to remove all the required tiles from the walls in the bathroom I was going out to Topps tiles But can't get them on the phone so I will leave it till next week it

seems all the DIY stores have sh!te websites they are an utter joke, Dunelm is p!ss poor too you would have thought an upgrade in the lockdown would have increased their

business 5 fold, B and Q lost a 2K order from me as I could not get through to arrange delivery of one placed on order so bought from a discount trade centre for £100 less and free delivery.

Must get on Stay Safe  :superman:B Bucknell :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another sunny morning, muggertea No2 is at hand and I'm just about to make a start on painting the arbour, I may be some time. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Computer is OK this morning but still gave the warning about overheating. It looks as though the fan is kaput so I'll just have to keep testing the temperature and shut down if it gets too warm. Had a communication from the shed suppliers about preparing the base. It turns out that the hard area I was intending to use needs levelling, it has a distinct slope, not readily visible to the naked eye and a dip in the middle so I need to get the builder to scree it,

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Now that is unlikely. The people either side of that border hold some interesting views about their neighbours. 

I recall back in the 70's when I lived in Romford we had a visit from our twin town in Germany. One of our interpreters learned his German in Austria and thus spoke with a distinct Austrian accent. This as it turned out was the equivalent of one of the Germans speaking English in an Irish brogue. As in Germany the Austrians were sometimes the butt of 'stupid' jokes same as the Irish were in England.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Greetings one and all, well it's all over, just waiting for the fat lady to sing.

Dozens and dozens of calls to the old bill re a veritable deluge of second home owners arriving, caravanners, camper vans etc all heading west.

Carparks full, beaches crowded and a number of water related incidents including a number of fatalities...... and it's still only May.

Happy days?

Neil sorry to hear about your friends wife, puts things into perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Yes, one happens in the short term and the other is a long term effect. You brought up CO2. Although it is currently fashionable to pretend that the increase in atmospheric CO2 has no effect on the climate that's equivalent to saying steam locomotives will not work.

With all due respect, your replies are irrelevant. The short term effects of which I wrote can be almost instantaneous and have happened for millennia. They are not a new phenomenon and have NOTHING 

to do with Carbon Dioxide.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I can see the logic of this, and it is forming an idea. Is this your invention or does it come from somewhere else?

Just off of the top of my head, having lived in or visited most of the areas. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I thought I'd throw that one in,  as they share economic similarities, actual / former industrial towns and cities,  lots of moorland between. A love of Cricket and both represented by roses whatever the colour. 

The counties mentioned in the full list are not exact,  drawing lines on maps which would include small areas of adjoining counties and exclude some bits of counties.  would be more accurate . I was trying to group economic,  geographical, and sociological similarities. 

you'll notice I did GB not the UK, therefore not including NI,  i can't see a solution  to that one... 

As for offa' s dyke, an interesting case  is Monmouthshire  of disputed vague ownership in the marches pre 1542, part of England till handed to Wales in 1974.

I'm in having a siesta,  the porch roof / garage join sealing went well. 

I was carefully reversing the landrover to the towing socket,  when I thought... Why?,  you had a front tow ball fitted last year.   A quick turn round, hook up tow the trailer backwards then push it forwards between the pile of bricks and the pile of big slabs,  3 inches total clearance.  Easy going forwards.. 

Then clear the slabs the trailer was sitting on. 

Work started on shelving, which will continue when I've had the rest of this siesta. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The ECB have split Cricket up into Regions

East (7)

Bedfordshire

Cambridgeshire

Hertfordshire

Huntingdonshire

Norfolk

Suffolk

East Midlands (5)

Derbyshire

Leicestershire and Rutland

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Nottinghamshire

London (4)

Essex

Kent

Middlesex

Surrey

North (6)

Cheshire

Cumbria

Durham

Lancashire

Northumberland

Yorkshire

South Central (6)

Berkshire

Buckinghamshire

Hampshire

Isle of Wight

Oxfordshire

Sussex

South West and Wales (7)

Cornwall

Devon

Dorset

Gloucestershire

Somerset

Wales

Wiltshire

West Midlands (5)

Herefordshire

Shropshire

Staffordshire

Warwickshire

Worcestershire

Each Regional Chairman has a vote...BUT the "Northern Region" have 70% of the umpires and scorers and about the same for Clubs and Leagues... Funding is mainly be region....

Baz

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The ECB have split Cricket up into Regions

East (7)

Bedfordshire

Cambridgeshire

Hertfordshire

Huntingdonshire

Norfolk

Suffolk

East Midlands (5)

Derbyshire

Leicestershire and Rutland

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Nottinghamshire

London (4)

Essex

Kent

Middlesex

Surrey

North (6)

Cheshire

Cumbria

Durham

Lancashire

Northumberland

Yorkshire

South Central (6)

Berkshire

Buckinghamshire

Hampshire

Isle of Wight

Oxfordshire

Sussex

South West and Wales (7)

Cornwall

Devon

Dorset

Gloucestershire

Somerset

Wales

Wiltshire

West Midlands (5)

Herefordshire

Shropshire

Staffordshire

Warwickshire

Worcestershire

Each Regional Chairman has a vote...BUT the "Northern Region" have 70% of the umpires and scorers and about the same for Clubs and Leagues... Funding is mainly be region....

Baz

Does it cause any issues that some regions have no first class counties and some have up to four?

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

They have the Wars of the Roses in common...

Hat

Coat

:bye:

• Agree 9
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Does it cause any issues that some regions have no first class counties and some have up to four?

no but the feeling in the North is we are hard done by as we get less funding per player / official than other regions..

Baz

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6