DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Really good point regarding chassis spacers. Your point is true of many kits and there is always plenty of material on wheel bearing faces to create the required side-play.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Dave, you might've seen that i've been busy at work the last few days and re-read your thread (for the umpteenth time). To me, some real standouts, among all of the high quality builds you've done are the E5x and the A12. Absolutely phenomenal job!

I have to ask, how on earth do you get the cream interiors of you cabs so consistent and even? I find that even with multiple coats of brush painted cream, mine just doesn't have the same coverage. Yours looks thick, without being so thick as to lose detail - if you get my drift?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2020 at 21:10, Jack P said:

Dave, you might've seen that i've been busy at work the last few days and re-read your thread (for the umpteenth time). To me, some real standouts, among all of the high quality builds you've done are the E5x and the A12. Absolutely phenomenal job!

Thanks very much Jack, I'm glad you find it useful.  I lost count of the many hundred "Likes" you have added, you will wear out the button!

On 04/08/2020 at 21:10, Jack P said:

I have to ask, how on earth do you get the cream interiors of you cabs so consistent and even? I find that even with multiple coats of brush painted cream, mine just doesn't have the same coverage. Yours looks thick, without being so thick as to lose detail - if you get my drift?

My recippe for cab interior cream has been a bit "trial and error".  I haven't found a single paint that looks correct, so I've experimented with a bit of mixing.  The're all Humbrol, and the three I've used are 63 Sand, 103 Cream, and 121 Pale Stone.  The colour card shows my mixes of one with another in equal amounts, and at the bottom, all three.  Even though these matt paints are fairly thick, it usually takes three coats minimum to build up a solid colour over grey primer .  White primer would probably be better.

775063325_IMG_6252small.jpg.162c9ebd4811c9fc73dae837abb001cc.jpg

993899249_IMG_6248small.jpg.b255be3cb332ff5b604036b467e1f88b.jpg

The colours don't look quite right in the photo, that piece of card should be white.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Been a bit quiet of the modelling front over that last week, various domestic matters demanding attention.

I haven't been completely idle though!

Pickups are done and we have a working chassis.  All very traditions, wipers on the backs of rigid wheels, and on the rims of those with sideplay.  This way the springy pressure isn't pushing them sideways.

Pickup plates screwed to the chassis spacers, with a 10ba nut soldered on the other-side.  I will replace the screws with shorter ones.

1899001350_IMG_6255small.jpg.51fb56f1c7201b631af3b90d807a6058.jpg

1905922172_IMG_6258small.jpg.b2011858473b2b899091371d8231540d.jpg

659769285_IMG_6261small.jpg.93a7f94b481b96943b71f64bb7b95bb7.jpg

Working on the cylinders and motion now.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bryan,

The wheels are Markits, 18mm diameter.  I don't know what their code number is, they came as the complete "wheel set" for this loco; which includes crankpins, axlenut covers and balance weights.

Gearbox is a Highlevel Loadhauler-Plus.  Its still listed as 60:1, but since the redesign the reduction is actually 68:1

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Jack P said:

I ordered one of Chris's new motors the other night. How would you compare it to similar Mashimas?

Jack

If its the coreless motor they are excellent motors as you would expect and cheaper than what many sellers are now asking for their Mashimas.

I have also got one of Chris's cheaper Iron frame motors, again for the price it works very well. To be quite honest I had severe doubts about it when I ordered it, which were quite unfounded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

I ordered one of Chris's new motors the other night. How would you compare it to similar Mashimas?

Seems great!  So far its only trundled up and down on test, as in the video above, but smooth, quiet and controllable, using a standard Gaugemaster.

Chris does two sizes, 1219 and 1320, significantly smaller than the equivalent Mashimas. 

Everyone's giving them good recommendations, so buy with confidence!

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been building the valvegear in fits and starts this week, but at last its done.  Its been a bit fiddly this time, mainly caused by me making cockups, or trying to be too clever and making a "rod for my own back".  It wouldn't be the first time....

Anyway here it is, a complete removable sub-assembly.  I haven't attached it to the cylinders this time, as they are already a separate sub-assembly.

1433371102_IMG_6268small.jpg.d30820cc209c1ca06904c94046b73727.jpg

1747017287_IMG_6267small.jpg.db1b234fd978375c0916a32b5c3de484.jpg

And attached to the chassis,

1812820280_IMG_6272small.jpg.a2c164b6f266e6c679f91fb69c431f54.jpg

821042120_IMG_6271small.jpg.3adcfa758e12c1905bcd6193f27360f9.jpg

Time to get on with a bit of bodywork now.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

On 22/08/2020 at 05:52, DLT said:

If you're not sure who valvegear works, there is a really good demonstration model on Youtube here:

Walschearts Demonstration

This is a very useful video Dave , I can see it being very handy moving forward.

The Z chassis looks great. You've done an excellent job, and all looks to be running smoothly. 

What livery will the loco be finished in?

Edited by Jack P
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Jack P said:

What livery will the loco be finished in?

Thanks for your comments, and thanks to everyone for all the "likes".

Its going to be in BR mucky black

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Unimat miniature machine vice.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

Its a super little machine vice; I've had it for years but can't remember where I got it from.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

Congrats on reaching 70 pages!

I called Phoenix the other night and placed an order for one of the Ex-DMR Z's. I've gone back had a look at the original Z build you did, and the most recent updates, I have a few questions (I was going to PM, but these might benefit someone else?)

- When widening the chassis did you run into any issues with the cylinder block?

- How did you move the rear motion bracket back by 1mm, did you just file the slot?

- In your first build you had to fettle the smokebox saddle to get the boiler to sit level, have you also had to do this on this build?

Appreciate your photos and write ups to date. looking forward to further progress :locomotive:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2020 at 01:04, Jack P said:

When widening the chassis did you run into any issues with the cylinder block?

No.  The kit is designed for the frames to be set to 00 or EM width, the cylinder block accommodates both.  It screws to the frame spacer, and that sets its position 

How did you move the rear motion bracket back by 1mm, did you just file the slot?

Yes.  And making it a screw-on sub-assembly allows you to position it accurately without relying on the accuracy of your filing the slot to position it.

In your first build you had to fettle the smokebox saddle to get the boiler to sit level, have you also had to do this on this build?

Haven't got to that bit yet!

The smokebox saddle was a right fiddle and I didn't manage to get right.  Its a very distinctive shape, and I think a resin-cast or 3D-print might be a better way of capturing it rather than a fold-up etch.

Hope this helps!

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1