The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I wonder where these lads are all living? It's quite a hike from Inverness to Fort William, I cannot imagine they will be doing that two or three times a week. Perhaps they train in Inverness and only come together for match days? Alternatively, maybe they all live in some barracks in Fort William!? :laugh_mini:

46 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

I wonder where these lads are all living? It's quite a hike from Inverness to Fort William, I cannot imagine they will be doing that two or three times a week. Perhaps they train in Inverness and only come together for match days? Alternatively, maybe they all live in some barracks in Fort William!? :laugh_mini:

Interesting debate on a Scottish Football Forum,  This year the SPFL shelved the idea of the under 21 "development league" and have replaced it with the old style "Reserve League" however only six of the premier league clubs have opted to join this league (notably not Rangers and Celtic).  In the case of Inverness I think their reasons for doing so are quite reasonable as the bulk of reserve fixtures are midweek daytime and with one exception (Ross County have opted to join) all the other opposition are in the central belt, so lots of travel to play in empty grounds.  The other option of farming their fringe players to a Highland League club might not seem correct to some but compared to the alternative it seems like a good idea to me

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lightengine said:

Wasssup wiv the Arsenhole? Spending money like never before.  Getting windy of Spurs maybe?

Haven't you heard, Wenger is no longer the manager!

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 13:57, luckymucklebackit said:

Interesting debate on a Scottish Football Forum,  This year the SPFL shelved the idea of the under 21 "development league" and have replaced it with the old style "Reserve League" however only six of the premier league clubs have opted to join this league (notably not Rangers and Celtic).  In the case of Inverness I think their reasons for doing so are quite reasonable as the bulk of reserve fixtures are midweek daytime and with one exception (Ross County have opted to join) all the other opposition are in the central belt, so lots of travel to play in empty grounds.  The other option of farming their fringe players to a Highland League club might not seem correct to some but compared to the alternative it seems like a good idea to me

Jim

That's really interesting Jim, thanks for providing that context. 

For once, I have a little sympathy with the football authorities on this issue (only a little mind!). Knowing what to do with reserve team football is very difficult. Second teams definitely have a place, they provide somewhere for youngsters to play with more seasoned pros who are maybe coming back from injury or need some game time to improve fitness. However, they can also give the opportunity for older players, who cannot get near the first team, the excuse to just sit on a lot contract and play the odd reserve match. It can be a place to stockpile 'dead wood'. 

I don't think the U21 or U23 teams and leagues are the answer though. Players of that age need to be playing 'proper' football, not in the sanitised, pampered environments of academys. Sending players out on loan to lower league clubs can be mutually beneficial and is something we have certainly benefited from at Gateshead in recent times. 

As a stepping stone to this, reserve team football can provide an opportunity for your players to play with older pros, in a proper football environment, but probably with a lot less pressure than would be apparent at a real football club in a lower division. 

I am fundamentally against reserve or B-team being allowed in the football pyramid. It undermines everything that is so special and unique about the game in this country. Reserve teams should be in their own league structure - like the old Central League as an example - but the emphasis should be on blooming younger players and getting them used to playing with older heads and, let's be honest, blokes that will give them a bit of a kicking and rough them up. It's how you learn the game. Whilst the technical ability of kids will be improved no end in the U23 teams and league, I'm not convinced the 'game savvy' needed to succeed in the professional game is nurtured in such in enviroments. These lads from Inverness CT will undoubtedly get a better 'football education' playing in the Highland League than in messing around in a kids league. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to see the return of the days when defenders were allowed to give everyone a good kicking, but a little rough and tumble with the 'big lads' doesn't hurt! Gone are the days of folks going to watch their first team one Saturday afternoon and the reserve team the other - my dad talks of people doing this at Darligton back in the '60s! 

So what am I trying to say? I have no idea really, but it is somewhat of a dilemma and I don't know what the answer is. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back then though, it wasn’t the ‘squad game’ as we know it today.  Substitutes were only introduced in the football league in the 60s and at first only to replace an injured player.  Larger benches with up to three tactical replacements is a relatively recent innovation.  Reserve games had a greater meaning and were of more use to clubs and players.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BoD said:

Back then though, it wasn’t the ‘squad game’ as we know it today.  Substitutes were only introduced in the football league in the 60s and at first only to replace an injured player.  Larger benches with up to three tactical replacements is a relatively recent innovation.  Reserve games had a greater meaning and were of more use to clubs and players.

True, but clubs would have had far fewer pros compared to now, so there were less players needing to get game-time. Maybe, 15 or 16 rather than the 40 or 50 nowadays in the upper echelons of the game. Not forgetting that in the days of the maximum wage many sides would still field 'amateurs' in the Football League. I always wonder what the third-choice goalie does at a club!?! :pardon: 

0-0 draw for us but it was just got to be back after our turbulent summer. Excellent attendance of almost 1,000. A somewhat disjointed performance which is understandable given that 9 of the starting 11 were new. Darlo on Wednesday. Onwards and upwards! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There are certain words that make me press the off button.  Lorraine Kelly, Boy Bands, Piers Morgan, Trump, Aussie cricketers, Stacey Solomon and many others. 

Two new ones have joined the list, Salford City. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

A great day out! A 700 plus away following! Then reality -3-1 defeat away at Farsley a good attendance of 1123 and a deserved defeat with our first half defending debacle!

Gateshead at home Wednesday and if we defend like that a home defeat!

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

A great day out! A 700 plus away following! Then reality -3-1 defeat away at Farsley a good attendance of 1123 and a deserved defeat with our first half defending debacle!

Gateshead at home Wednesday and if we defend like that a home defeat!

Sounded like Alun Armstrong wasn't too downbeat though, putting it down to one terrible 45 minutes of football. Very early days mind and we all need time to settle given the normal high turnover of players at our level. 

Looking forward to making the short journey down on Wednesday. Good to renew our old friendly rivalry! Do be honest given Saturday, we could still be playing now and I don't think we would have scored! :laugh_mini: Early days though and it'll take a while for a new squad to gel. 

It should be a great season for us all though - Darlo, Spenny, Blyth, York, Gateshead - with lots of local interest and intrigue. I am just going to enjoy the ride! :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Scary! But not too bad- We have been plagued by bad investors/chairman/players/football league decisions back in the day ;)

5 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Wot? even before George Combaround?

Oh, before the days of Mr Safe-Cracker being caught with thousands in used banknotes in the boot of his car in Witton-le-Wear, there was another workie ticket in George Tait. He caused ructions in the early '70s according to me dad! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, lightengine said:

There are certain words that make me press the off button.  Lorraine Kelly, Boy Bands, Piers Morgan, Trump, Aussie cricketers, Stacey Solomon and many others. 

Two new ones have joined the list, Salford City. 

get used to it as outside of Bury & noblots woes its going to be the only show in town outside of the top two divisions with all the media darlings 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

get used to it as outside of Bury & noblots woes its going to be the only show in town outside of the top two divisions with all the media darlings 

Agreed, they get that disproportionate coverage that affords their established 'cousin' over at Old Trafford

• Like 1