8 by 4

cbeagleowner

Hi all,

I think that if I was to have a OO gauge layout, an 8 by 4 board is the kind of space I'm going to be able to have. My question is, is it possible to have a really interesting layout in this space. I'm particularly thinking operationally. What is it possible to fit in? What different apporaches could be used? What have people done.

Or should I just go for n gauge!

Interested to know what you think

Richard

Many modellers have less room than you have, so no problem for 00

As well as having a roundy-roundy layout you could have either a L or U shapped layout. The circular layout will give you the abilty to have something moving continuously, but may restrict the amount of sidings and scenic side.

The end to end may allow you to have more operational interest, small branch or city termi come to mind as does MPD's and goods only facilities. Though the latter 2 could easily be done with a circular layout.

Peco do a small cheap book 60 plans for small locations, Wild Swan also does one.

• RMweb Gold

I think the answer is yes. If you have not already got it, take a look at this months railway modeller as it had a clever plan.

Also, on 8*4 are you thinking of a roundy/roundy, as you could do a very nice BLT with that, using the curve to go round to the fiddle yard, which leads me to ask whether any sides will be against a wall?

On the N gauge side, 8*3 would give you a very good good layout space. What era are you looking at by the way as that will also define some of the operational elements you try and add. I myself model in N and am doing a simple scenic section with passing loops to hold trains in on a mainline, on a board that is 2ft 6inches wide. At the back I am able to get a 10 road fiddle yard which will allow a wide range of trains to be held.

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest going down the n gauge route if you want to represent a main line. If you want a branch line you'll get that in. The curves will be tight but do able. An 8 x 4 layout is not easy to move about and if you don't have access all the way around you'll struggle to reach parts of the board.

Consider than an 8x4 is bigger than a double bed and needs access space around all sides. If you actually have the floor space you really need to operate an 8x4, then use that space for the layout and put the operating space on the inside.

Cheers

David

T'others make a good point about where you are going to put the thing, and how to access it. Don't forget that if you are less than me-size you can put an access hole in the middle.

I suspect that everyone here now knows that I would go for a roundy roundy in OO. What I would do is to look at plans for smaller spaces(look at CJ Freezer's books and Paul Lunn's Peco Setrack book) and expand them to the 8x4. That way you get easier curves and longer sidings and platforms.

There have been some good 6x4 schemes on here lately, and Tom Davidson has a thread going and a web site worth looking at.

Good luck

Ed

Sorry, David has made the point about the operating space

I cannot remember who did it but somewhere on the forum there was a modern image layout on a 8x4 baseboard that looked brilliant. The model was your basic roundy roundy double track with depot & sidings but it was very highly detailed & it took the train set look away from it. Another good layout on here was done on a 6x4 baseboard with a roundy on the bottom but with a raised area on the back part of the layout with a diesel depot. This was another highly detailed model using set track & scalescene buildings but very well finished.

Simon.

Can I suggest you grab hold of the trial version of AnyRail or XtrkCad and have play. A lot depends on exactly what you want to acheive, but a lot is possible.

For my sins I have been playing with N Gauge 4 x 2. The difficulty is striking a balance between cramming lots of trackwork in and giving a feeling of space. Curved turnouts can help considerable in conserving space.

Personaly i'd go for N gauge in that space, but i think you have to look at what you hope to achieve.

An MPD or small branch line might satisfy some but if you want express size glamourous loco's on a roundy roundy its unlikely to fulfil that ambition.

Another question to ask is the control method if you going to use dcc you can probably ratchet up the enjoyment potential through the use of sound or lights etc.

Atb

Nik

• RMweb Premium

If you have an 8 x 4 layout you need access all round which means the area needed is going to be 12 x 8 at a minimum for comfort. If you have that area build it at that size with the operating area in the middle. This will make the layout easier to build and operate, it will be bigger and most important the trains will appear to go somewhere as they will disappear from your line of sight unless you revolve round all the time.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing your efforts in the future.

Chris

As others have said have a go at designing something that you are happy with. Personally I had a larger space 13'x4'3" and ended up with a figure 8. Balancing the scenic section and the track will be that much more important with the smaller area.

Have a go put up ideas and others will be happy to help!

cbeagleowner, I think it depends what expectations you have from a layout. If you're new to the hobby and the layout's just for watching a train go round and round then 8x4 is perfect. If you're interested in having a more realistic railway then an 8x4 probably isn't for you.

Over the years I've tried building a couple of 8x4 layouts in OO gauge, but have never been very satisfied with them. I feel that an 8x4 is and will always be a train set, as opposed to a true model railway.

Years ago, before the internet, 8x4's were great as first layouts. I learnt allot on my first layout: electrics; scenics; trackwork; ect. Although within a very short time I progressed to bigger and more realistic set ups.

Personally I don't think it's worth spending a great deal of money building an 8x4 layout as you'll probably only use it for a year or two before moving on to greater things....

Plus, now there's so much knowledge and inspiration on the net that if I had to start again I don't think I'd go for an 8x4. :unsure:

If I had to work with the OPs size constraints, personally I'd probably go for an 8x3 (yes, 8x3. That's not a typo!) with an end-to-end trackplan.

In that space you could do either a small station; a depot; a country scene; or maybe you could even have an industrial theme - pretty much anything really.

I think that would probably give a scope for better/realistic operations and it's certainly more prototypical.

If you have an 8 x 4 layout you need access all round

Stretching 4ft forwards can be a bit stressful on the ol' back muscles, so at least while you building it would you need all around access.

Then once it's done it can be moved against a wall.

(Sorry Chris, I though you hadn't made that very clear so was just clarifying. From what you had said it sounded like you were saying all around access was needed at all times - which I wouldn't say is so) :)

• RMweb Premium

Stretching 4ft forwards can be a bit stressful on the ol' back muscles, so at least while you building it would you need all around access.

Then once it's done it can be moved against a wall.

(Sorry Chris, I though you hadn't made that very clear so was just clarifying. From what you had said it sounded like you were saying all around access was needed at all times - which I wouldn't say is so) :)

No problem with your comments which 20 years ago I would have agreed with 100% but I had a friend who built an 8 x 4 and had it up against a wall. The only place anything ever derailed was on the plain track along the back wall that was very hard to get at! He rebuilt it as a 10 x 6 with an operating space in the middle which meant he could reach the whole layout and amazingly the number of derailments went down dramatically, hence my view that you do need access to all parts of a layout. BUT it is ony my view and I accept that you can work an 8 x 4 with it up against a wall although I do think you are asking for trouble. (My friend who I have sadly lost contact with never did find the cause of the derailments.)

Chris

• RMweb Premium

To add to the operational interest you might want to consider a different approach to normal. Think of the board as 2 boards each 8 x 2. Loose the fiddle yard then have 2 layouts that connect to each other each serving each others industry. Doing this would potentially increase the operational interest. you could still have the passenger option but this would most likely only be one train, maybe two at a stretch. Most operating would be short freights. This approach is possibly best suited to steam or early diesel days to give the excuse for more traffic.

The only place anything ever derailed was on the plain track along the back wall that was very hard to get at!

I hadn't considered derailments to be honest :blush:

It would probably depend on how much space I had available, but if I had to build a tail-chaser, I'd likely go for something with an operating space in the middle as, as you explained earlier, trains will appear to be going somewhere. :)

Hi everyone. I am newish to this forum,but I must say this is probably the best in my opinion. Generally when a question is asked of the more experienced modellers/layout experts et al,you get a very sensible reply and the topic usually does not degenerate into a battle field. I am newish to model trains and dcc but have learnt a lot from this site and also trial and error.

I have attached a few pics of my 8x4 layout,it is far from finished,but you can get a lot of activity from an 8x4.This layout at the moment is in my workshop,but i have designed it to elevate by a winch to well over head height(a couple of pics of the winch and lifting ropes attached). The incline on both ends of the layout is approximately 1-14,most of my engines buzz up it,the couple that don't are doomed to a life of bottom dwelling.,It is my plan to put a couple of loco sheds left of centre and create a small village scene in the centre. There will be another platform just in front of where the inclines start. The dcc controller is a Bachmann and i must say I have had no problems with it at all.

Personally I am very happy with the layout,it suits what I need. There might be purists that  say well, you should of done this or that.It gives me great joy along with a couple of junior members of the family. 

Not the best pics in the world but it gives the idea. The gauge is 00

.   .

post-9389-069330500 1291305146_thumb.jpg

post-9389-087794500 1291305188_thumb.jpg

post-9389-033091500 1291305225_thumb.jpg

post-9389-095571700 1291305290_thumb.jpg

post-9389-052458800 1291305338_thumb.jpg

post-9389-093004100 1291305384_thumb.jpg

post-9389-012973900 1291305471_thumb.jpg

post-9389-002802500 1291305547_thumb.jpg

post-9389-077466900 1291305643_thumb.jpg

post-9389-022680700 1291305686_thumb.jpg

post-9389-078651500 1291305737_thumb.jpg

post-9389-078152800 1291305773_thumb.jpg

post-9389-095710600 1291305834_thumb.jpg

post-9389-060977100 1291305891_thumb.jpg

post-9389-076956400 1291305926_thumb.jpg

post-9389-065147700 1291305983_thumb.jpg

post-9389-076180100 1291306023_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Perfectly do able. This layout was based on PECO 60 plans for small layouts plan sp12. Originally drawn at 8' x 4' I expanded it to 9' 3" x 4' 6" because I used 18" (2nd) radius curves, peco med radius points and a 70' turntable. Operationally it works as an out and back. It eventually had an extra 12 in added to fit the tramway.

post-1359-086609900 1291327741_thumb.jpg

post-1359-087157900 1291327763_thumb.jpg

Photos were taken by Tony Wright not me!

Regards

Dave

Archived