Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

The Great Bear

Thank you all for the interest and kind comments.

What signs did you use for the station building (the 'Gentlemen' sign etc) as I am looking for some to complete my station signage?

Jules, I cheated and printed them. The font I got via GWR yahoo group. I made them a bit too big in hindsight particularly the ones under the canopy over the doors. Hope you find something suitable.

Jon

On the long to-do list is to finish the signal box. I want to detail the signal box interior, more out of interest than visual effect as operating the layout one sees only the back of it.

I've had a go at the signalling plan based on the discussions before in this topic. Hopefully it's reasonably clear and no great clangers either in design or drafting. For a small layout, even with the ground frame for the loco release points I end up with surprisingly high number of levers.

p312773085-4.jpg?sn=

I end up with 17 levers, not allowing for any spares. Would there always be spare levers? (The alterior motive here is that I already have the Springside small interirior kit which has 18 levers so am crossing fingers that it will do, with a spare between 14 and 15 perhaps?)

There was recent article on signal box interior in Model Rail and that covered the lever colours so I'm happy enough with that: red for signals incl ground signals, black for points, blue for facing point locks, and blue/brown for the ground frame release.

Also, the ground frame, would this only be a single lever or could I use this as well to control the creamery siding. (Dart Castings do two lever frame and cabinet that looks to fit the bill nicely.) If the Creamery was a separate hand lever would it have had some kind of lock?

As for the signals, well they're some way off. I've started to put together a Ratio one. Admittedly starting on the starter signal, which I have as a bracketted one because the box gets in the way, was not the easiest place to start and is proving a right pain, in particular getting the wire linkages assembled. Keep on trying, then giving up, patience wearing thin. If it gets that bad, maybe I'll end up having the line as one engine in steam, have the signalling removed and the box as a ground frame! In any case plenty of time, don't want to squash them doing all the other scenic suff.

Anyway some assurance that I have got my levers right would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the long to-do list is to finish the signal box. I want to detail the signal box interior, more out of interest than visual effect as operating the layout one sees only the back of it.

I've had a go at the signalling plan based on the discussions before in this topic. Hopefully it's reasonably clear and no great clangers either in design or drafting. For a small layout, even with the ground frame for the loco release points I end up with surprisingly high number of levers.

p312773085-4.jpg?sn=

I end up with 17 levers, not allowing for any spares. Would there always be spare levers? (The alterior motive here is that I already have the Springside small interirior kit which has 18 levers so am crossing fingers that it will do, with a spare between 14 and 15 perhaps?)

There was recent article on signal box interior in Model Rail and that covered the lever colours so I'm happy enough with that: red for signals incl ground signals, black for points, blue for facing point locks, and blue/brown for the ground frame release.

Also, the ground frame, would this only be a single lever or could I use this as well to control the creamery siding. (Dart Castings do two lever frame and cabinet that looks to fit the bill nicely.) If the Creamery was a separate hand lever would it have had some kind of lock?

Anyway some assurance that I have got my levers right would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Jon - Fairly likely to have been spares or spaces (probably a couple but one would be ok I'm sure).

The ground frame would be two levers but one would be an FPL for the crossover end in the platform line and the other would be for the crossover (bit of an oddity there as in just about every case I've come across there was an FPL if the points were worked by a ground frame but there very often (usually) wasn't one if the points were worked from the signalboxrolleyes.gif.

The creamery points would be hand worked - it's a siding off a siding and much easier to shunt with hand points.

Otherwise quite ok but duly note that the two elevated discs on the bracket signal is very much a 1950s thing although I think there were examples in by the 1930s.

Only other comment I would make is that sometimes in circumstances like this the GWR would work adjacent FPLs off the same lever (notwithstanding the problems that could lead to) and in this case numbers 8 & 11 are good candidates for such combining (but not 5).

Otherwise looking good.

• Like 1

Mike, once again thank you so much for your help.

Otherwise quite ok but duly note that the two elevated discs on the bracket signal is very much a 1950s thing although I think there were examples in by the 1930s.

OK will bear this in mind. Layout norminally set post war GWR so could go either way, either the two discs presumably on tubular steel post like or wooden one with doll and two short arms. The choice will, I think, depend on which one is easier to build.

Only other comment I would make is that sometimes in circumstances like this the GWR would work adjacent FPLs off the same lever (notwithstanding the problems that could lead to) and in this case numbers 8 & 11 are good candidates for such combining (but not 5).

OK, that's good gives me another spare lever.

Thanks

Jon

• 3 months later...

At long last I got around to building the creamery, that's in the centre of the layout and made some progress on the landscaping around it.

p1034671876-4.jpg

p693987860-4.jpg

The building is the one that was at Wallingford using the plans in the Wild Swan book on that branch, drawn in CAD with Scalescenes textures, apart from the roof tiles.Some of the model leaves a bit to be desired, the roof lights are bit dodgy (not so visible in these pics) and my effort to hide the joins with a cover paper not always succesful, as in photo above: some others I did manage to hide behind the downpipes. I could have picked an easier prototype as some of the geometry even with the drawings in the book and CAD design didn't come out as expected and some last minute trimming of card was needed.

Having got the "signature" item finally out of the way, the next items are to add bit more landscaping behind the creamery, some bushes and more fences and also do a bit more to the goods yard. Signals are on the list too but efforts to date with Ratio signal kit were not encouraging and patience ran out and that will wait a while as the layout soon will be moving, more on that not before too long.

More updates soon.

Thanks for looking,

Jon

• Like 7

Nice job :) Looks really at home in that position. I too had 'fun' with the Ration signal kits on a previous layout - I have some to add to my current one, but so far haven't plucked up the enthusiasm to start them.

Looking forward to seeing the continued progress...

Jules

I'm having a potential rethink on the signalling, seeing as I am struggling to build a simple operational signal the home signal with 4 arms is far too daunting a prospect.

In the meanwhile also think about your Home Signal coming in - at present you have fewer arms than potential routes from the signal meaning some routes are not signalled when they should be - several possible WR prototype answers so have a think how you would like to do it and then we'll see if it's realistic. those comments apart it's otherwise pretty good and you're clearly going in the right direction.

If I reduced my operations so there was only ever one train in the station could the home signal be rationalised? For instance, perhaps: on a couple of signal plans, Lambourn (on SRS site dated 1938) and also Moretonhampstead (also on SRS site) there is a ground signal below the home signal presumably reading to the loop. I'm wondering whether I could do similar and also have ground signals for reading into the sidings? (The ground signals of course would be non-operational given lack of skill/time/patience.)

Thanks

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Given how poorly my new Hornby 61xx runs you could be right! I have a 4575 and that runs so much better. (Too much stock, not enough track.)

However, a 61xx would be more typical of the Thames Valley..... just a thought!

Having seen your progress since December, me thinks I had better get a shift on with Wharncliffe Junction! - The model of Henley has been put aside for a while.

Thanks for sharing your project, it has come together very quickly and is looking good.

• RMweb Gold

However, a 61xx would be more typical of the Thames Valley..... just a thought!

Having seen your progress since December, me thinks I had better get a shift on with Wharncliffe Junction! - The model of Henley has been put aside for a while.

Thanks for sharing your project, it has come together very quickly and is looking good.

The 61xxs were blue engines and as far as I remember were used on the stoppers from paddington and freights. This looks more like a rural branch west of Reading so a 45xx could be more likely if the branch was lightly laid.

Don

Jules, Karhedron - Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement

Thanks Neil, the layout's only small and there's been a lot of times of inaction, in particular I prevaricated over whether to do the creamery for ages.

I looked at your model of Henley - the station building looked fabulous. Having read the Paul Karau book, Henley is a very interesting prototype and something inspired by that is an option for whatever follows this layout; but a true replica with the carriage sidings and the full length trains would be very large, presumably that's why you're working on another project?

More updates tomorrow hopefully, not happy with the photos taken; despite a pretty good DSLR albeit a few years old now I'm not finding it easy to get clear photos.

Once again thanks,

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm having a potential rethink on the signalling, seeing as I am struggling to build a simple operational signal the home signal with 4 arms is far too daunting a prospect.

If I reduced my operations so there was only ever one train in the station could the home signal be rationalised? For instance, perhaps: on a couple of signal plans, Lambourn (on SRS site dated 1938) and also Moretonhampstead (also on SRS site) there is a ground signal below the home signal presumably reading to the loop. I'm wondering whether I could do similar and also have ground signals for reading into the sidings? (The ground signals of course would be non-operational given lack of skill/time/patience.)

Jon

No problem if that's what you want Jon - things changed over the years, even on the GWR :O

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming along very nicely Jon with a really good atmosphere; remarkable considering the space you have shoehorned it into.

Thanks, Mike

The area at front of the layout has now been landscaped. Here's an overview of the layout:

p312605706-4.jpg

The wiring is still a mess and not all connected up!

p438068988-4.jpg

What this photo doesn't show is that as the bridge is on a section of 1st radius bend to get the layout to fit the clearance to the abutments with carriages is minimal.

p415274431-4.jpg

Not much left to do, only the signals and that will have to wait a while...

Thanks for your interest,

Jon

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I said before I liked the plan, and the resulting layout does not disappoint! It captures the atmosphere of the prototypes wonderfully in an (theoretically) impossibly small space. I love this layout.

Cheers, Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments.

No more progress on Marlingford of late to report, other than some work to my 14xx. After months of frustratiion at poor running over points because of the traction tyres I belatedly realised I could use the wheels from a duff Airfix chassis of the same model I had and swap out the centre wheels. With a bit of trial and error to get the quartering and back to backs it now runs a lot better, doesn't stall on points. As there no gradients on the layout even without the traction tyres it'll haul a decent length mixed train, the autocoach, 5 wagons and the brake van.

Progress has also been distracted by a new arrival (14'x10') in the garden:

p901793662-4.jpg

It's not ready for occupation yet, flooring down and outside now painted but awaiting completion of the wiring.

I've a few ideas about what to do with this, but despite having had 6 months or so of thinking, there's no plan I'm completely convinced of, which is frustrating so shortly, if you don't mind, I'll be tapping into your collective wisdom for feedback!

Once again thanks for your interest,

Jon

Edited by The Great Bear
  • Like 3