Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

The Great Bear

I really like your depiction of Kidlington station. Not much left now, but the track is still at the old broad gauge spacing  as the station house is still there too. Your lovely Banbury Road bridge was replaced a long time ago, but the next one north along the line (albeit now only with two tracks) is exactly that shape, and I’m about to go for a run which will involve crossing it...

Paul

Edited by exet1095
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exet1095 said:

I really like your depiction of Kidlington station. Not much left now, but the track is still at the old broad gauge spacing  as the station house is still there too. Your lovely Banbury Road bridge was replaced a long time ago, but the next one north along the line (albeit now only with two tracks) is exactly that shape, and I’m about to go for a run which will involve crossing it...

Paul

Thank you. In the time period I'm modelling, the road bridge should be the more modern single span concrete one as I think is still there, but I found the original one more interesting to model. Plus, one day I might run trains in an earlier period too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Great Bear said:

Thank you. In the time period I'm modelling, the road bridge should be the more modern single span concrete one as I think is still there, but I found the original one more interesting to model. Plus, one day I might run trains in an earlier period too.

It’s a mile and a half away from here...

You really have captured the feel of the place; the Edwardian station was famous for its gardens and trellis. Such a pity that it was all swept away.

• Thanks 1

As a one time resident of Kidlington I have been following this thread with interest. I lived there from 1980 to 84 and there was very little of the station left even then.  The goods shed was still standing though and I always meant to measure and photograph it but didn't get round to it and then one day it was gone....

Just across the road from my house was a row of cottages and one was occupied by an elderly couple.  It was only after the old chap had passed away that his wife told me that he had been a ganger on the Woodstock branch.

Gerry

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I have just caught up with this layout topic( only years behind…..) and really enjoying the GWR atmosphere nicely captured in these photos. Thanks for sharing. 

If of interest check out my own attempt at capturing GWR on my Hawkinsfield Junction topic. 

Andy R

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

Here's a stopping train hauled by a large prairie.

Nice to see you posting again Jon.  Great pics.  Hope we'll see more soon.

Sorry to hear re problems with Hornby large prairie.  I was thinking of getting one as Hornby offer a variant nearer to my intended prototype than any of the Dapol versions.

John C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos.  Greatly in favour of bacon, but even more of a GWR 2-8-0.   Last pic is particularly good.  Like your signal box too.  Scratch built?

Yes, know what you mean about modelu lamps.  I usually use up about three or four lenses to get one on the lamp with the aid of craft knife and cocktail stick, so I always order spare lenses with every order.  They sometimes need the slot opening out too.  Then of course you pick up the loco to have a look at something underneath and they fall onto the loft floor, rarely to be seen again.

John C.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 year later...
On 28/12/2023 at 11:02, drduncan said:

@Great Bear Just discovered this thread and worked my way through it. Excellent work and a delightful project. Anything new to show us all?

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the compliments and the interest shown in the layout. Not much has happened since the last post. I've rediscovered the shed but as usual a massive tidy is required to get things in the railway room in shape.Getting a train running by the end of the holidays was my target, not sure I'll make it...

Having got the construction of the layout done a couple of years back now, getting trains running should be the priority but having got the layout building done I've lost impetus. (Do others have this, find the layout building more fun?) I think the lack of drive is also due to the realisation how much work is involved, that the layout is only 1/2 the work - obvious really! My aim was to more of less replicate services from a day in 1947 but there's a lot to that, it being a mainline. Not just acquiring stock, renaming and weathering  but also the armchair modelling of researching what locos might have pulled which train. I may have to settle for a selection.

There are a couple of projects on the go more on these soon, hopefully. I've also got a big stash of wagons, mostly from Rapido, many of which pre ordered a year if not more ago to get into service, weather and add loads. I've also got an Accurascale manor that will need renaming and weathering, but I'm too scared to get it out of the box and damage it!

All the best

Jon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Really enjoying seeing views of your layout again Jon  - it's always been a favourite of mine.  More please!  

Great looking track, regardless of your current ballast issues. And neat looking Mogul.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 26/03/2024 at 16:54, checkrail said:

Really enjoying seeing views of your layout again Jon  - it's always been a favourite of mine.  More please!  

Great looking track, regardless of your current ballast issues. And neat looking Mogul.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement, John. The mogul is a good loco, and was in my opnion a great choice for Dapol to do, being so commonplace. I have another (of the first batch) in a box somewhere to relivery from BR black to GWR wartime black.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some photos taken a while back of my "Pseudo Saint", an Ebay purchase of a Hornby Bachmann-bash, here paired with a couple of my home brew coaches.

p1061324979-6.jpg

p1009578804-6.jpg

p130094416-6.jpg

In the past month I've been playing around to upgrade this loco, putting a more accurate body onto it, details here.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Proper mixed-up stock and nicely subdued colours.  The "grimy" look can come across rather stark on layouts sometimes, but the brown shades used here are very effective, and suits the period well I think. The chocolate-box days are gone but this railway is not mismanaged, just coping with changed circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1