n gauge 72xx

djgriff

n gauge 72xx

by djgriff

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi all allthough i have added to a few poasts this is my first work bench building a worsley works 72xx 282 in n gauge. the nickle silver etch is just that crisply ecthed but no castings, i will be canibilizing a Dapol 45 262 for the chassis as the wheels are the same diameter i might get away with the spacing, we shall see if it fits . Feel free to post comments.

file.php?id=71636

file.php?id=71638

file.php?id=71639

file.php?id=71640

Comment posted by Horsetan on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Hmm, this is like watching my 5205 build in half the size! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by sithlord75 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Good luck. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Comment posted by Karhedron on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I will also be watching this one with interest. I am still new to kit building and I suspect that a WW would be beyond me at the moment but I do like the 4200/7200 tanks.

??? posted on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Tank tops and cab front solderd in today, so far i am very impressed with the etch with tabs and slots to line up tank fames and running plate and holes to help mline up the firebox,boiler and smoke box. Right i'm off for a easter break so you won't here from me till next week

file.php?id=71850

Comment posted by nebnoswal on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am

Another watcher. Have some WW coaches on order, so will watch this with interest

Comment posted by 2mm Dabbler on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi all, although I have added to a few posts this is my first work bench: building a Worsley Works 72xx 2-8-2T in N gauge.

I look forward to progress also, especially as a Fairburn 2-6-4T is listed at their website. Incidentally, it may be worthwhile making contact with Missy who built a 42xx in 2mm. She may have a few suggestions - it's always worthwhile profiting from other people's experiences.

Michael

Comment posted by OgaugeJB on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 pm

How strange, I always assumed Missy was a chap icon_lol.gif

JB.

Comment posted by Horsetan on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 am

OgaugeJB wrote:

How strange, I always assumed Missy was a chap
icon_lol.gif

In this world, you can be anything you want to be icon_tongue.gif

Comment posted by -missy- on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Horsetan wrote:

OgaugeJB wrote:

icon_lol.gif

In this world, you can be anything you want to be
icon_tongue.gif

Oi! I am definately not a chap!

Anyway, great work Dave so far. When I got mine off Allen he said it was the best kit he has produced so far. I am really happy with mine and I am sure you will be with yours. If you need any help then let me know. Just for inspiration he is a taster...

file.php?id=72325

(A very female) Missy icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Horsetan on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm

^^

That's lovely! The smokebox saddle does look a bit tall for a curved valance engine, though - it's the same on my 4mm scale build. Will have to find a way of disguising this, or reducing the depth.

Comment posted by OgaugeJB on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:25 pm

-missy- wrote:

Horsetan wrote:

OgaugeJB wrote:

icon_lol.gif

In this world, you can be anything you want to be
icon_tongue.gif

Oi! I am definately not a chap!

Sorry Missy, no offence taken I hope! I'm trying to work out my mixup, and I'm sure I saw a picture of a chap operating Highclere a little while back and so assumed..... Well you know what they say about assumptions being the mother of all cock-ups !! icon_lol.gif

JB.

Comment posted by Fat Controller on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 pm

That model is amazing- by my reckoning, on a normal monitor, the imagine is about twice life-size!

??? posted on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi all a bit more progress today here's a few pics.

file.php?id=74328

file.php?id=74328

file.php?id=74329

file.php?id=74330

file.php?id=74331

in order to get the correct wheel spacing on the Dapol chassis i placed the folded chassis etch on the striped Dapol one using the front axle as a datum,then drilled the new axle holes ,i will have to make a axle guide for the rear wheel set ,the front wheels are to the left of the picture, i could do with another Dapol wheel set or a dead chassis.Please keep your comments comming

Dave

Comment posted by 009matt on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:31 am

if this is a 45xx, I have a dead chassis in bits, pm me and I will get it to you

??? posted on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm

thanks matt ,much appreciated,pm sent. if any body is going to the sutton coldfield show this weekend 24/25 april i will be operating on waterstock come over and have a chat i will have the bits of the 72xx with me.

Dave

Comment posted by 009matt on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Dave,

will get chassis off to you on sat - sorryu for delay, but can't get to p.o. before then

Matt

??? posted on Sun May 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi all a bit more progress today with the fitting of buffer beams ,side frames, front running plate and smoke box saddle. heres's some pics.

file.php?id=77078

file.php?id=77079

file.php?id=77080

file.php?id=77081

Going together really well the etch still on the side frames was a godsend in helping to keep them straight while soldering.the smoke box was rolled around a biro. Thanks for all your coments and encouragment, and if mine turns out half as good as missy's i will be well pleased.

Dave

Comment posted by sithlord75 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm

djgriff wrote:

Thanks for all your coments and encouragment, and if mine turns out half as good as missy's i will be well pleased.

Dave

If that is what you are aiming for then I reckon you will be well pleased. Looks great to me!!!

??? posted on Thu May 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi all a quick update firebox, boiler and smokebox all rolled and solderd in place icon_biggrin.gif will post pics when forum is fixed, got to get to gripps wiyh the chassis and rods icon_neutral.gif , and souce some castings for chimney, top feed smokebox door and buffers.

??? posted on Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

file.php?id=79800

file.php?id=79801

file.php?id=79802

file.php?id=79803

??? posted on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi all, update at last, been working on the chassis so here are some pics

file.php?id=90753

I worked out that the rear driver spacing of the 262 is the same as the center driver spacing of a 282 so i cut a new axle guide for the front wheels and spliced in a extra bit for the rear wheels from spare Dapol chassis, if you get my drift. icon_confused.gif

file.php?id=90754

file.php?id=90755

file.php?id=90756

file.php?id=90758

file.php?id=90761

Going slow but going ok after building the body i have had to cut away the inner footplate back to the tank edges so i can get the Dapol chassis in icon_mutter.gif , the Dapol cylinders are a bit small, if i can wrap some spare etch around them they should be ok. As they don't hold your breath for the next update but there will be one

by for now Dave

Comment posted by grahame on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 am

Looks like a lot of effort has gone it to it - well done for such perserverance. It's turning out very well. I doubt I could have built it - in fact I wouldn't have even tried to start it.

G.

Comment posted by Atso on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:02 am

Lovely work there! Based on your photos here I've gone and ordered an LNER V1 etched kit from Worsley Works. Good work on the chassis, I think I'm going to use a Farish V2 chassis for mine and its good to see that someone else has managed to change the wheel spacing on a rtr chassis!

Looking forward to the next update.

Comment posted by Karhedron on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

I agree it is looking fantastic so far. I would love a 42xx but I doubt I could turn out something anywhere near as good as that.

n gauge 72xx

by djgriff

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi all here's a update with a few more pics

file.php?id=97651

file.php?id=97652

file.php?id=97653

file.php?id=97654

As the pics show i had to file the rear of the motor mount corners,dremel out the inner frames and backhead to get the body to sit low enough, spent most of this after noon fitting the rods and cylinders and getting it to run, i connected power to the wires sticking out the cab roof and it runs pretty good, next on the list will be the pickups i will atempting to refit the originals although the locating pips have been lost in the modifications, i will be visiting the n gauge show in leamington to get the loco fittings probably from n brasss, i will also be attending the birmingham show in september at the cocks moors lesure center operating on warterstock come over and have a chat i will have the bits of the 72 with me.More updates soon by for now

Dave

??? posted on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi all quick update inbetween re grouting the bathroom, got all my fittings from n brass at the n gauge show currently being fettled ready for fitting and i have managed to refit the original Dapol pickups to the chassis with pickup from all eight drivers. wil post some pics as soon as SWMBO lets me out the bathroom.

Comment posted by wehf100 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:38 pm

enjoy the grouting. I got in to trouble when I last did it= using some 'spare' to represent a road surface on the layout.... icon_redface.gif

The 72xx looks great, and it really is an achievement trying to get a N gauge chassis to sit under a true 'scale' body. Cheers for posting your progress, with a Worsley Works loco in my 'to do' pile, this is all very useful for me.

Comment posted by Sailor Charon on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 am

Atso wrote:

Lovely work there! Based on your photos here I've gone and ordered an LNER V1 etched kit from Worsley Works. Good work on the chassis, I think I'm going to use a Farish V2 chassis for mine and its good to see that someone else has managed to change the wheel spacing on a rtr chassis!

Looking forward to the next update.

Indeed. I feel myself being drawn back to the dark side... I thought I'd managed to get the urge to build out of my system...

Good luck with the v1 sailorsmile.gif , well after about the fourth attempt i have managed to transfer from the old rmwebsad.gif . the bathroom is finished so its back to modelinglaugh.gif should have a update and pics next weekend.

Dave

That looks pretty impressive!

I've just decided to take the plunge and have a play with Worsley Works scratch aids myself, but I think I may have been sold a pup with teh T9 I sold on Ebay. I have only two etched frets, and I don't think that between them they add up to all the pieces I need. I've been sitting looking at them trying to piece it all together in my head, and I just cannot make it all add up to a complete lotomotive.

Does anyone here happen to know how many frets I SHOULD have got for a WOrsley T9?

Thank you - that makes sense. I'd wondered if I needed to do my own thing for the boiler - but didn't want to assume it only to find that I was missing other vital parts which were on the "boiler fret".

Better return this thread to its original purpose now ...

• 4 weeks later...
post-2755-12601432094445_thumb.jpgpost-2755-12601435425199_thumb.jpgpost-2755-12601435780305_thumb.jpgpost-2755-12601435890473_thumb.jpg Hi all managed to do a bit more the last couple of weeks , i managed to fit the Dapol pickups on all eight drivers , i also managed to destroy the Dapol cylinders and slide bars so i had to build the worsley ones which was easier than i thought it would be, smokebox door, top feed, tank fillers and vents have been added so things are slowly taking shape. Heres a few pics of progress so far.

• 2 months later...

Hi all its been a bit slow since xmas with other things on my mind, so made an effort this weekend and progress has been good. Managed to get fitted the cab steps from thr etch, front rear steps and sand boxes from the Dapol 262 and all the handrails with the knobs from nbrass, ihave had it running on my test track and it goes like a dream , due to the front steps it will be 11 inches. thats it for now till i can get it painted.

Dave

post-2755-126740218056_thumb.jpg

Hi all thanks for your kind words, looking at the smokebox saddle i think it might have to much slope on the sides (to wide at the bottom) which will make it look taller plus there is no flange at the top with the rivets which does't help.I did have a few problems with this build (no fault of the etch which i would recomend to all) due to inexperience managing to get a slight twist in the body which i managed to remove. Would i do this again you bet i am currently eyeing up a worsley fairburn 264.

Dave

....looking at the smokebox saddle i think it might have to much slope on the sides (to wide at the bottom) which will make it look taller plus there is no flange at the top with the rivets which doesn't help.....

Should be relatively easy to correct then. Good: at least I can still do this.

• 1 month later...

post-2755-127022786644_thumb.jpg

post-2755-127022795378_thumb.jpg

Hi all finally got it painted this week, just waiting for numbers,transfers and a crew from the ngauge society, and to top it off iv'e decided to jion the 2mm society just waitng for my membership pack to arrive.

Dave

An excellent effort all round there Dave. There is a 'but', however. I appreciate that this is a very small model and that photos are often cruel, but to do all the effort you've made to produce this excellent model justice, please consider stripping the paint off and having another go. It will be worth the effort - the brush marks and the stray bristle really detract from it which is an enormous shame - but easily rectifiable. A good paint job won't necessarily save a poor model, but sometimes you have to admit to yourself that the paint job (or any other element of model making) isn't up to scratch. I reckon on one of these moments - at least - one just about every model I ever build and there's no shame in it. Just my tuppence worth, but an excellent model.

Adam

Looking at the photo's i have to agree it does look a bit of a mess, so taking the bull by the horns the paint is off pending a repaint.

Dave

Worth trying spray paints or airbrushing. This will give a much better finish, and really round off all your superb construction on this model.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look at the completed model several times and it's very impressive, although I'll agree with Adam that the side tanks show some painting flaws.

On a slightly different point, I think everyone will agree that the Churchward 'style', including the Collet developments, usually resulted in an attractive and balanced locomotive. The 72xx however has a massive, even brutish appearance particularly well captured in the lower angle photo of the completed model.

Well done Dave, particularly as building such a loco in N means no availability of the parts and accessories familiar to most 4mm modellers.

Regards

Michael

Once again thanks for all your kind words, loco has now been repainted and looks much better i wanted to portray 7202 of which i have photo's but the nearest plates i can get from th n gauge society are 7205 of which i can't find any photo's, can any body help.

Dave

I believe Guilplates will produce custom plates of any sort you want. More expensive than the standard plates as they are run up individually but not outrageously so. Worth it if you want to model a specific loco.

Hi Dave,

What a stunning model - very well done indeed! I wish i could do something like that, i envy you!

I must say, i'm glad you went to the trouble of stripping the old paintwork off, i'm sure it will be worth it!

Will you be painting it into early or late crest (or GWR?)? I really look forward to seeing it!

Bye,

Harold.

PS Missy's 42xx is simply wonderful too!

Hi all, made up my mind and livery will be br unlined black as 7205 with late crest should have some pics by the weekend. i am taking my chances and enterd it in the anuall model competition at the n gauge agm in may.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all finally got around to taking some pics, the paintwork is a lot better than the first attempt, there are still a couple of small blemishes but nothing a bit of weathering won't hide, just a crew to add now which will hide the motor coils,

post-2755-127361274512_thumb.jpg

post-2755-12736127976_thumb.jpg

Also had time to build my fist 2mm wagon a 16 ton mineral bought at the warley show last year one of those trial packs with a small lenth of track, post-2755-127361325755_thumb.jpg

post-2755-127361332353_thumb.jpg

Archived