For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Module layout at SWAG members day

tim-minay

• RMweb Premium

I'll bring a few bits to stock the yard for early doors , then others can add things as we go .

I think a loco and four 60' coaches will be about max for passenger workings , goods can be

done more on the fly depending on what we have .

The only possible problem could be a mix of coupling types , most of my goods stock is

Spratt and Winkle fitted , but I can adapt one truck as a barrier wagon with a S&W at one end

and a tension lock at the other .

I think we could have some interesting formations during the day . :O

Photo of the main yard board area , I added some side framing for stock securuty and some storage

area , it's about 7 '' between outer trak and sides of the board .

post-6765-0-37626600-1331114896.jpg

Edited to add photo .

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the maximum train sizes, hopefully Tigger's fiddle yard is of a similar length...

Good point too about the couplings - all mine are Bachmann tension locks, it never occured there might be other sorts.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the maximum train sizes, hopefully Tigger's fiddle yard is of a similar length...

Good point too about the couplings - all mine are Bachmann tension locks, it never occured there might be other sorts.

There are Stu :O However mine are also (mainly Bachmann) tension locks and the stuff with 3 link and screw couplings isn't really fit for public display even among friends (who wants to watch unpainted ABS wagons going past :no: ). I happen to have an Aus :jester: diesel and might be able to fashion a converter wagon to go with it but I wonder if the powers that be in SWAGonia might not take kindly to such flippancy. On the other hand I could send daughter on a shopping expedition when she's in New York next week as I'm sure she needs a proper excuse to visit a model railroad store.

• RMweb Premium

Tiggers is identical in length , but he has used some of the point work board as a scenic area , that should not cause

any problems though .

Looking forward to this now , maybe we can get it in BRM . :mail:

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to bring some stock, if only to give it a bit of a run - it's all been packed away for some time! :locomotive: I'll probably be coming by train so it's a question of how much will fit in my rucksack.... :P

Wouldn't it be more sensible keep each person's trains in a set rake, then there won't be any problems with coupler mismatches? Or is there an intention to run completely mismatched rakes in order to wind up the more particular members.... :no:

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to bring some stock, if only to give it a bit of a run - it's all been packed away for some time! :locomotive: I'll probably be coming by train so it's a question of how much will fit in my rucksack.... :P

Wouldn't it be more sensible keep each person's trains in a set rake, then there won't be any problems with coupler mismatches? Or is there an intention to run completely mismatched rakes in order to wind up the more particular members.... :no:

Be careful if you bring a rucksack - Stubby will have built a layout in it by the time you're ready to go home :O

• RMweb Gold

Rich, keeping each train to one owner will probably be what happens, but it might be nice to see a long train of clay hoods, for example, if several people bring a few each.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Rich, keeping each train to one owner will probably be what happens, but it might be nice to see a long train of clay hoods, for example, if several people bring a few each.

Stu

I've got a 72xx to drag them , if it will go round your corner modules that is . No hoods though .

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

This is the overall plan for the module layout.

post-7025-0-21189000-1331557488_thumb.gif

Working anti clockwise from the top right :

Sidecar Racer's Fiddle Yard

Sidecar Racer's Module

StationMaster 's Module

Stubby47's Corner Unit #1

Stubby47's Module

Stubby47's Dad's Module

Stubby47's Corner Unit #2

BlackRat's Module

Tigger's Module

Tigger's Fiddle Yard

If you have any comments, etc, please shout up sooner rather than later :)

Cheers

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow ! What a day!

Firstly a big, big thanks must go to Mike (Tigger) & Mike (Sidecar Racer) for building the superb Fiddle Yards & associated Modules. They worked perfectly, were simple to operate and really made the whole concept an enjoyable experience. Guys, brilliant !.

Thanks also to Mike (The Stationmaster) & my Dad (neilhil) who built the other modules.

We started by roughly placing the tables in a U shape, then put Tigger's Fiddle Yard & Module together. The Stationmaster's Tunnel came next, and after a bit of cursing & manouvering we got them linked. A quick test run and it was on to the first corner. The Stationmaster's 4" height from table to rail top and and my 4" from table to rail height seemed to have used a different size of rule, but with a bit of packing the tracks soon levelled up.

Another quick trial run and it was on to the Signalman module. Once we'd worked out that getting the bridge fishplates just 'on' each rail, then pushing the new module into place, it became a lot less frustrating...

The second corner was soon added and then Dad's and then we moved all the tables around to bring Sidecar Racer's module & fiddle yard into line.

A quick test each way and the band played !!

During the day one of two tweaks were made (to my modules only !!) to enable smooth running or to adjust clearances, but amazingly, considering none of the modules had been connected previously, it all worked.

Thanks to those who brought stock to run, there was a good variety to play with all day.

Lessons learnt for next time.

1. The bridges don't need a base plate under the track - 2 independent 4" sections of track are simple and work.

2. Despite all the concerns about wiring, the modules were not actually connected together other than by the bridge pieces.

3. Packing pieces are necessary to help adjust heights, plus the 2" track spacing is not hyper critical but needs to be adhered to (me again !)

Overall, it was a really satisfying day, to see the whole project come together and to hear so much postive feedback from everyone.

So, onto next year.

The good Captain has already planned for the smaller room to be used again for the Module layout, and there was talk about making the whole thing a complete roundy-roundy - how we'll incorporate the existing FYs in that I'm not sure yet.

But, what's needed more than anything else, is some more volunteers to make modules !! You've seen how easy it is, and how diverse the ideas were this year, - let your imagination run wild, but get involved !!

• RMweb Gold

OK - how about this for a 'Captain's Challenge' for 2013 - a 'figure of 8' modular layout?

Sounds a great idea....but the middle cross over might be a bit big (for a rucksack, at any rate).

Archived