Class 37 differences

Matador

Man, there are so many differences to list between individual members of the class! I am working on an article of these differences, no matter how minor.

However, the major differences between each sub-class are as more obvious. Incidentally, there are no 37's designated 37/1, 37/2 or 37/8. It'll take a while to list all the differences so I'll leave a summaru to someone else.

I intend to publish my article over several issues of the C37LG's magazine, 'Suphon'. Blatant plug. You will recieve the mag quarterly if you join the C37LG. Details here www.c37lg.co.uk

What is the difference in the Class 37 bodies for the various types 37/0 37/2 etc

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

It might be better if you turned your question round.

i.e. 'I've bought 2 of 37998 from Dapol, what other numbers could I get away with?'

As the earlier respondent suggests, you have entered a minefield. You're guaranteed better answers if you can be a bit more specific what outcome you're looking for :)

As the earlier respondent suggests, you have entered a minefield. You're guaranteed better answers if you can be a bit more specific what outcome you're looking for :)

Indeed, this is the sort of question that if asked face to face would draw the reply 'well what exactly do you mean by that'scratch_one-s_head_mini.gif

However, the major differences between each sub-class are as more obvious. ... It'll take a while to list all the differences so I'll leave a summaru to someone else.

No need Mike, there's a list of subclasses on Wikipedia. It aint perfect I know, but it's usually a good start.

Ok point taken, I am starting to build a small layout and I remember the 37,s from when I was a teenager in the UK.

Time period modelled 1955-1965 paint scheme green yellow panels.

David Cooke Snr

A Brit in the USA

I can't really add anything extra to what the others have said but just a reminder of the usual advice about working from photos - there's a few things published in 37 books that are best taken with a pinch of salt. If you choose a particular pre-TOPS machine let me know, I've got snaps of almost all of them now.

I am working on an article of these differences, no matter how minor.

Just how minor are we talking Michael... number of rivets on the D-shape plate above the coupling hook on the centre headcode machines that got them? There was variations! ;)

Pix

Ok point taken, I am starting to build a small layout and I remember the 37,s from when I was a teenager in the UK.

Time period modelled 1955-1965 paint scheme green yellow panels.

David Cooke Snr

A Brit in the USA

The split-headcode ones were Eastern Region at that point; the centre-headcode ones were Western engines. By about 1967/8 the early members of the centre-headcode fleet (I think it was from 6830 to 687x)were transferred away from the Western, whilst new members of the class went to Tinsley and other ER/NER depots.

They arrived on my local branch (the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr) in 1965, and used to make a terrific racket when passing my primary school.

So back to actually trying to help the OP :P

Anything above 373xx is out of your time period.

What you want is classified as a 37/0 - Though it could be numbered between 370xx -> 372xx

-Rob

ps Though of course at the time they would be D numbered eg D69xx

So back to actually trying to help the OP :P

Anything above 373xx is out of your time period.

What you want is classified as a 37/0 - Though it could be numbered between 370xx -> 372xx

-Rob

Except that they'd have been numbered D6700 to D6999 or D6600 to D6606- though the later 69xx examples, and the D66xx ones didn't appear until 1966 or so. The Class didn't have any sub-types until the introduction of ETH in the 1980s- most/all early examples had steam-heat boilers, but the only indication that these had been removed was a small panel with NB on it. It was small enough that the running foreman at Landore didn't always notice it when diagramming locos for MYSTEXs from Llanelli....

The split-headcode ones were Eastern Region at that point; the centre-headcode ones were Western engines. By about 1967/8 the early members of the centre-headcode fleet (I think it was from 6830 to 687x)were transferred away from the Western, whilst new members of the class went to Tinsley and other ER/NER depots.

Almostwink.gif

The locos transferred from the WR to ER/NER were indeed mainly in the mid- D68xx series (it was mainly the boilered ones that stayed) but there were also some late D68xx and early to mid- D69xx. And of course the whole series from D6837 to 6850-something (6859, OTTOMH?) went to the ScR, along with a few D69xx. The only centre box ones delivered new to other than the WR were D6959 - 68.

The class 37's has built were virtually identical to each other. The major differences were the change in nose ends from 37120 onwards and some sat on fabricated bogies and some sat on cast bogies, but this varied from loco to loco. The number sequence went through to 37308 but technically they were a 37/0's. A few lost the buffer beam skirt at works overhaul and some started to receive flush mounted lights instead of headcode boxes. Numbered in the range 37001 to 37308

A program of refurbishment was started with the 37/4's which meant that some of the side grills on the nose ends were change and other detail differences began to occur The major differences were internal with the replacement of the main generator with alternators , which required the fitting of started motors. The 37/4 37/5 37/7 were externally the same apart from ETH cables on the 37/4 and the removal of headcode boxes on those that were previously split boxes. 37/7's were fitted with ballast weights to bring them up to 120 tonnes and had haulage capabilities similar to the class 56 . The numbering sequences got complicated due to the fact that it depended on the electrical equipment was fitted Brush or GEC alternators So 37/5 is the same as a 37/6 and a 37/7 is the same as a 37/8 but have different alternators.

The 37/3's were an enigma. as they were originally numbered from 37310 and were dedicated to scottish steel industry and were basic 37/0 with some modifications mainly internally and were air braked only locos.

Then there was those in the 37350 upwards range. These were partly refurbished but kept their generators and just acquired regeared CP7 bogies, the same as fitted to the 37/4.37/5 37/ 7 and 37/9 giving slightly better haulage capability but had the max speed reduced to 80mph.

37/9 were simlilar in every way to a 37/4 except the roof arrangements as they were fitted with experimental Ruston and Mirlees power packs that didn't actually fit with the confines of the class 37 body

Hope this helps a bit

• RMweb Gold

The class 37's has built were virtually identical to each other. The major differences were the change in nose ends from 37120 onwards and some sat on fabricated bogies and some sat on cast bogies, but this varied from loco to loco. The number sequence went through to 37308 but technically they were a 37/0's. A few lost the buffer beam skirt at works overhaul and some started to receive flush mounted lights instead of headcode boxes. Numbered in the range 37001 to 37308

Other major as-built differences were in the roof panel over the boiler - either welded or rivetted, and the cantrail grills - presence or absence of the sub dividing strip.

Andi

The class 37's has built were virtually identical to each other.

That's a dangerously sweeping statement there Staffs!

The major differences were the change in nose ends from 37120 onwards

Exception to the rule is D6791 which was built with split boxes but recieved centre boxes and roof mounted airhorns very early on in it's career. Presumably after a prang that was bad enough to require new cabs and the jigs used to create the new ones were geared up for centre box machines. I've got a feeling there was another pair of early nose jobs but my notes are upstairs.

some sat on fabricated bogies and some sat on cast bogies, but this varied from loco to loco.

'Officially' the last 60 machines were built with cast bogies but this wasn't the case, 22 sets of bogies were diverted to the Deltics, whose fabricated bogies were suffering from the much heigher speeds. I've got notes of which 22 that were meant to get cast bogies didn't, but the botes are upstairs and the fires warm so I'll dig them out tomorrow. If modelling these in 4mm, be aware that there is differences between the class 50 cast bogies (which didn't seem to end up under 37s until after the 50s had been withdrawn) and the Deltic/37 cast bogies. Hornby do the former and no one does a proper set of the latter, although they're on my to-do list.

Pix

Hope this helps a bit

Oatcake, did you take any notice of the period the OP was asking about?

Exception to the rule is D6791 which was built with split boxes but recieved centre boxes and roof mounted airhorns very early on in it's career. Presumably after a prang that was bad enough to require new cabs and the jigs used to create the new ones were geared up for centre box machines. I've got a feeling there was another pair of early nose jobs but my notes are upstairs.

Ah 6791, the one that fooled me into thinking it was something interesting when it turned up on the York -Hull parcelslaugh.gif The other two were 6773/74

That's a dangerously sweeping statement there Staffs!

I agree its a generalisation but it would be very hard to find major detail differences, such as grills/etc between all the 37/0's unless it is headcode boxes/air horns.

6791 / 37091 was originally built as spilt boxes and there was 37100 and 37075 that had flush ends at one end fitted following accidents.

'Officially' the last 60 machines were built with cast bogies but this wasn't the case, 22 sets of bogies were diverted to the Deltics, whose fabricated bogies were suffering from the much heigher speeds. I've got notes of which 22 that were meant to get cast bogies didn't, but the botes are upstairs and the fires warm so I'll dig them out tomorrow. If modelling these in 4mm, be aware that there is differences between the class 50 cast bogies (which didn't seem to end up under 37s until after the 50s had been withdrawn) and the Deltic/37 cast bogies. Hornby do the former and no one does a proper set of the latter, although they're on my to-do list.

Pix

Fabricated bogies were preferred in certain areas. The Scottish region preferring them on routes such as the West Highland line as their extra flexibility (minimal??) reduced tyre and flange wear.

If you're making a model of a particular model it would be worth getting as many images as you can of your chosen prototype

Ah 6791, the one that fooled me into thinking it was something interesting when it turned up on the York -Hull parcelslaugh.gif The other two were 6773/74

That's the puppy... well, puppies. ;) Has anyone got any notes on when and where these prangs happened?

Fabricated bogies were preferred in certain areas. The Scottish region preferring them on routes such as the West Highland line as their extra flexibility (minimal??) reduced tyre and flange wear.

Thanks Staffs - I'll happily put my hands up and say that I'm not very clued up on the Scottish side of things!

Pix

I can't really add anything extra to what the others have said but just a reminder of the usual advice about working from photos - there's a few things published in 37 books that are best taken with a pinch of salt. If you choose a particular pre-TOPS machine let me know, I've got snaps of almost all of them now.

Just how minor are we talking Michael... number of rivets on the D-shape plate above the coupling hook on the centre headcode machines that got them? There was variations! ;)

Pix

Seriously Pixie? Yes. But I was thinking of things like positioning of lamp brackets, slight paint variations on similar liveries, different types of window frames, position of overhead flashes, kick boards, nose end door plating variations, cantrail grill blanking panels, pipe positioning on buffer beams, lens/marker light differences, bogies differences - the list goes on. There are/were very few identicle 37's.

I'm still learning but I can identify most 37's by sight without seeing a number. I'm going to include a 'Guess Who?' feature in the C37LG's 'Syphon!' magazine from the next issue.

Seriously Pixie? Yes. But I was thinking of things like positioning of lamp brackets, slight paint variations on similar liveries, different types of window frames, position of overhead flashes, kick boards, nose end door plating variations, cantrail grill blanking panels, pipe positioning on buffer beams, lens/marker light differences, bogies differences - the list goes on. There are/were very few identicle 37's.

Marvellous - sounds like a really interesting project!

Pix

• 3 weeks later...

Archived