BRM February 2011

Dicky W

Hello - nice to be back on these pages again!

Here's what's coming up in the February issue:

Hornby's new 28XX, the Golden Age A4s and Dapol's weathered 9F reviewed.

Layouts inside are Woodside Lane MPD in OO by Richard King, Cheriton Bishop in OO by Bernard Munday and the second part of the BRM N gauge project layout Dudley Heath describing planning and design.

There's also more on GWR freight stock in O gauge by David Roberts, building platforms on Tony Wright's Little Bytham layout and building a 'King' in 7mm scale from the JLRT kit by Richard Spoors.

Also, Paul Bason gives an introduction to narrow gauge modelling and Nigel Burkin installs a DCC decoder into an older Farish Class 47.

With this bagged issue there's a free DVD on Little Bytham, a competition to win two Hornby A4s and the results of the BRM Awards, which will be presented at the Doncaster show.

We've only just received our printed copies in the office, so subscribers should get theirs soon, hopefully before publication date, Thursday 12th.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Is the DVD on Little Bytham about the model or the prototype (or both)?

A bit of both - I think there are some stills of the real thing - but must admit I haven't watched it yet!

And of course I forgot to mention the Dapol Catalogue that's included showing their future releases for 2011.

Enjoyed the video. May I suggest in any future issues that a small caption be placed on the screen when trains are running so that we know

which loco is running please.

Some good articles in the Magazine , first I have bought in a while due to certain plastic surround supplied. May I suggest BRM use a fold over bag not a sealed type. :blink:

Some good articles in the Magazine , first I have bought in a while due to certain plastic surround supplied. May I suggest BRM use a fold over bag not a sealed type. [/quote)

May I suggest they don't.

I would not want to pay out good money to get it home and find dirty finger prints all over it. Not infereing that this applies to "micklner",just a general remark.

regards,Del.

Still some pretty horrendous colour reproduction. I have spoken to Tony Wright about this, and he assures me that when the 'stuff' leaves his computer it's ok, and the printers reproduce the garish colours seen in the mag. Otherwise, the content looks pretty good, although I've yet to get my teeth into it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD, as far as the strange colours, some of the pictures have a high magenta cast on them, a classic example is the photograph of 'Happisburgh' in the Diary page, and others are very garish towards the blue and green side of the spectrum, although the CYMK straight colours seem OK, but without seeing the traffic lights that printers put on the sheet outwith the trimmed sheet it is very hard to try and place the blame, the printer always seems to get the blame. The printer always needs a smaller DPI (300+) than a computer screen (72DPI). I have no connection with the printers but I am a retired compositor.

• RMweb Premium

Still some pretty horrendous colour reproduction. I have spoken to Tony Wright about this, and he assures me that when the 'stuff' leaves his computer it's ok, and the printers reproduce the garish colours seen in the mag. Otherwise, the content looks pretty good, although I've yet to get my teeth into it.

I picked up a copy yesterday. It's been quite a gap since I previously bought a BRM, but there was precious little else in the newsagents and I thought I'd take a punt. I'll be the first to admit that I thought BRM had not so much gone downhill but taken a nosedive over the past five or so years. I'd not been impressed with the frankly rather dull photos or the high proportion of division two content. It lacked class and sparkle. However I was pleasantly surprised, the photos had more life (one mans garish is another mans vibrant), the features had interest; it looked as though the magazine staff having had a spell in the doldrums now have the wind in their sails and are at last making some headway.

Please stick with the printing process as it is, don't return to photoshoping those dreadful dreary skies into layout features, keep finding those quiet gems like the diesel depot (I don't normally like diesel depots, but I was taken with this one) but please get rid of the bl **dy awful plastic bag. Without being able to tell if this issue is a one off or part of a concerted attempt at improvement, it'll probably take some time before I have another punt.

I read BRM infrequently, but this issue was actually pretty good. Really bought it for the Tony Wright DVD - while I don't find him very engaging as a presenter I think his work is absolutely stunning. Some lovely shots of trains running on the layout plus some interesting construction hints and tips, especially on the scenic side.

I agree with the colour reproduction... those LNER and GWR greens looked soooo off. Otherwise, worth of a read. The DVD kept me and my eldest lad very quiet whilst watching and he wants to help me with scenary now... which is nice. Is it me or did one of those passing trains that Tony claimed as a class 91 actually have a diesel whistling away at each end ;). Joking asides... a good watch and enjoyable read... but the reproduction needs tweeking somewhere (paper type?)

I'm comoing back to BRM having bought the last three editions in a row. Generally I'm finding it much improved. The clincher for me though is the free DVDs with the last three magazines. Ok they may only be 15-20 mins long but they do give added value and I thoroughly enjoy them. The best one was Tetleys Mills which I searched out after someone on here recommended it.

Have to completely agree with Neil on his last paragraph though. Part of the reasons I'd stopped buying it was because I couldn't see if there was anything of interest in it first.

Archived