Dean Sidings

Fenway Park

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that the imminent N gauge releases are:

GWR 1701 class 0-6-0ST

LBSCR E4 class 0-6-2T

GCR 1B Class 2-6-4T

You'll have to translate the last two into SR and LNER speak for yourselves ... I no longer care what they were called after 1923!

Last time I spoke to him, he suggested that the that SECR P class 0-6-0T was quite high up on his list, too ...

My understanding is that the imminent N gauge releases are:

GWR 1701 class 0-6-0ST

LBSCR E4 class 0-6-2T

GCR 1B Class 2-6-4T

You'll have to translate the last two into SR and LNER speak for yourselves ... I no longer care what they were called after 1923!

Last time I spoke to him, he suggested that the that SECR P class 0-6-0T was quite high up on his list, too ...

Well, the E4 carried on being the E4 as far as I'm aware, but the 1B became the L1/L3. The E4 has 5' wheels, the 1B has 5'1" wheels. I'm not sure what chassis they would go on. I'd think you might be able to use the Farish 3MT chassis. In the case of the E4 you'd have to chop some off the front, but that shouldn't be too difficult. In both cases you'd have to remove the valve gear, but that would be easier than trying to add it on. :)

I was thinking of getting the Langley kits for the 1B... Maybe I should hold on for this one?

I'm guessing that the SECR P class would fit on a Dapol Terrier chassis?

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the E4 remain classified as such into BR days. Would be interested in what you would use as a chassis...I seem to recall the Langley kit used a Farish Pannier (94xx) chassis. They were the stock-in-trade of the station serving the town I grew up in (although it was closed 11 years before I was born) along with the C2X and M7 - so carry a particular interest for me.

Yes there Resin body kit to fit on modifed RTR chassie

Sounds interesting, I may have to dig out the paint brushes...thanks...

The current "in vogue" chassis seems to be the Farish 57xx (used for both the N Brass G6 and the Dean Sidings Barry 0-6-4T). I suspect the E4 may use that too.

Will the 1B (or L1/L3) not just use the Farish standard 4MT?

The current "in vogue" chassis seems to be the Farish 57xx (used for both the N Brass G6 and the Dean Sidings Barry 0-6-4T). I suspect the E4 may use that too.

Will the 1B (or L1/L3) not just use the Farish standard 4MT?

It could. The Langley kit uses the Farish 61xx chassis, but whether that's because the 4MT wasn't available at the time I don't know.

But yes the 1B could use the 4MT chassis. It would need the cylinders and valve gear removing. The wheels on the 4MT are slightly too big as well - not that much too big though.

• 3 weeks later...

It could. The Langley kit uses the Farish 61xx chassis, but whether that's because the 4MT wasn't available at the time I don't know.

A lot of the Langley kits date back to the late '70s/early '80s so were designed around the old Graham Farish chassis of that time. They themselves largely shared a common block with various wheel sizes and add-on bogies, ponys, cylinders and valve gear (their Black 5 was the first with that around 1978) as appropriate. Later Poole chassis (from the mid '80s on) began to become more accurate in terms of wheel spacing and the very late ones had the motors mounted slightly lower.

• RMweb Premium

I was ever so impressed with these kits, the only concern I have is the propriety chassis ie has the body of the loco been changed from its prototype dimensions to suit the chassis?

I'm unsure and I didn't want to appear rude so I didn't ask him.

Regards

I can't directly answer but the first thing to look at would be the wheel spacings of the chassis. If these are accurate for the model then there is a good chance that the rest will not have had to be modified, if the spacings are out then I would suspect that there are some compromise's somewhere.

I can't directly answer but the first thing to look at would be the wheel spacings of the chassis. If these are accurate for the model then there is a good chance that the rest will not have had to be modified, if the spacings are out then I would suspect that there are some compromise's somewhere.

Yes it would appear that there has been a compromise built in. The Furness L3 Class 0-6-2T kit is made for a Jinty chassis ie wheel spacing 8'-0" x 8'-6" but a drawing on the Cumbrian Railways Societies' site shows the L3 to have a coupled wheel spacing of 7'-9" x 8'-6". Now the 3" differance is only 1mm in 4mm scale so it probably wouldn't show, but it is a shame and it would mean that the Gibson milled frames for this engine couldn't be used. But on the other hand, perhaps a scale Jinty chassis could be spliced with the Gibson frame to produce a pretty good replica especially as the driving wheels for this class aren't available anyway!

Never mind

I was ever so impressed with these kits, the only concern I have is the propriety chassis ie has the body of the loco been changed from its prototype dimensions to suit the chassis?

Certainly his Super D body has the splashers set for a Mehano chassis so they are not in the correct places for the Bachmann chassis (He made his body pattern before Bachmann). Because of the way the Bachmann loco body comes apart, i.e. the body comes away from the footplate, I spoke to Dave at Stafford and he says says it is simply a matter of filing off the cast footplate and some close fitting to get his body, with round top firebox, to fit to the Bachmann footplate. I'll get round to mine one day.

If you come across him at an exhibition, don't be afraid to talk to him. If he has moved something to fit a standard chassis, he will tell you why and, perhaps, how to get round it.

Regards

He didn't take offence when I asked him !

Alan (still wondering when/if Dean Sidings will ever get the Dean Goods he had on show past the demo stage)

He should sell on ebay...

I didn't know Dean sidings was still in existence at the time...

so I put a Killin' pug kit on eBay at 99p start.

I later saw the Dean Sidings stand at last years Peterborough show. the same kit was on sale - new - for half the final value price the one I sold on eBay went for.

Brand awareness is not great, i could find no reference online when investigating the products - If he gets his name out there, he could do so much more business. (if he wants to, of course)

He was at the Watford show last weekend, lots of interesting locos.I liked the Barry Class L which is in both the Original and rebuilt forms and the Neath & Brecon 0-6-0 ST. Both are built arround the Hornby 0-6-0 chassis.

Sadly no Dean goods on the latest list even for future releases. Had a great chat with the chap, sadly dont think he has a web site

• 1 month later...

Archived