UK Stations someones really should have modelled by now!

I will have to post some images up of what continues to be a work in progress...starterd ooh in *cough* progress on a 2000 circa Okky road still goes on. In EM its a tight station

Ian

Manchester Oxford Road, the post-25kV version. I think someone (Jim Lawton??) did the original version with MSJ&A catenary only back in the 50s, but if no-one's modelled the current structure yet, it'd be worth doing, if only for the distinctive architecture. Pre-1971 it would have an interesting mix with both 1500V and 25kV electrics to be seen plus DMUs and Trafford Park goods trains.

Another suggestion with local flavour - anyone had a stab at modelling Romsey station? The station itself is pretty compact, with a fairly interesting track layout even in this day and age, plus lots of rolling stock variety if modelled in the steam era with SR and WR stock to be seen.

David

• RMweb Premium

Christ's Hospital complete with its ornate original station building, two signal boxes, two branchlines (all right, the Itchingfield Jnc line to Shoreham is/was a little further to the south) and the outrageous number of platforms for what was technically little more than a interchange halt literally in the middle of nowhere.

Reading through the various Middleton Press books that cover it, it is suprising just what variety there was passing through there, especially in the 1950's and 1960's with off region excursions to the coast using the Cranleigh line instead of the more direct routes.

Would be a compact model too eh! not much in depth just what about all those huge liners??

Ian

Pipe dream-Manchester London Rd around the time of MSW electrification, A3, A5, B1, C13, EM1s over on the Great Central side and all things Crewe and Derby on the other side, fantastic

Would like to try one day-MUFC halt at Old trafford, bridges at either end, backdrop of the football ground, ex CLC Manchester-Liverpool line passing with all things CLC passing to and from Central, Trafford Park shed etc, from J10s to Jubilees, plus make it a saturday afternoon and all the specials to the halt itself, from what i've read they used some very eclectic motive power. This has no connection with my user name whatsoever biggrin.gif

Carstairs - post WCML electrification, but pre Edinburgh electrification.

All that splitting and joining of trains would be most entertaining.

Modelling that adverse camber pointwork at the South end would be a bit of a challenge!

edit - just thought of another one - Guide Bridge.

At the Nottingham exhibition a couple of years ago there were two models of Carstairs opposite each other! Different clubs and different gauges but same era IIRC.

I mentioned elsewhere in the thread re. modelling pipe-dreams we never made, Derby Friargate.

Has this ever been attempted? Built on a curve with an overbridge at one end but on an elevated approach at the Nott'm end. Would ideally be in EM or P4 if modelling pre-war because of the 4ft gauge Derby Tram system which ran under the station bridge.

I always wanted to do East Grinstead, both High and Low Levels, natch. Squeezing in the St Margarets Spur might have stretched - or compressed! - things a bit. Antique trains with puffing tanks right through to the 1960s. Has anyone ever done this?

Not that I'm aware of, but it would be a very interesting prospect!

Warrington Arpley Station Mid-50s pre closure in 58

3rd route Manchester - Liverpool including push-pulls to Oxford Road.

Passing B1s , Leeds based Jubilees on Yorkshire to Llandudno Summer traffic.

Constant freight flow including G2As

around 15-20 private sidings in the general vacinity

Mersey Bridge crossing

Small depot with turntable , goods shed. bus station link. austere station building.

Situated in the general vacinity of the old 70s/80s stabling point.

I've already done a fiddle to fiddle design and couldn't get it small enough !!

On the cards for about 2020 :)

I always thought Wolverhampton Low Level would make a realy interesing basis for a layout. Tunnel at south end; overbridge (with trolleybuses) at the other. Lots of engine changing and remarshalling of trains. You could even run the Blue Pullman!

If you can't fit in Nottingham Victoria, the first station north on the GC, Carrington, was situated directly between two tunnels. Ideal layout for "watching the trains go by".

Judging by the number of times I receive requests for information, I think Bournemouth West must be one of the most popular locations - I believe at least two layouts are currently being constructed of it.

Bishop's Stortford (in steam days). I'm not aware of a model but there really should be one: interesting layout, good mix of workings, bridges at both ends. I might be tempted to simplify the goods yard slightly, perhaps, but the rest could be done prototypically fairly easily, and would make a very worthwhile exhibition or home layout.

I always thought Wolverhampton Low Level would make a realy interesing basis for a layout. Tunnel at south end; overbridge (with trolleybuses) at the other. Lots of engine changing and remarshalling of trains. You could even run the Blue Pullman!

Good idea, include Wednesfield Road yard with the obligatory 'Duck 8', and the queueing up of passenger trains behind one another during the summer season.

At the Nottingham exhibition a couple of years ago there were two models of Carstairs opposite each other! Different clubs and different gauges but same era IIRC.

Close, TWO Law Junctions (N gauge, East Neuk MRC) and the Carstairs/Law Jn OO layout which was started by the Riverside Railway Society. There was another Carstairs in RM about 20 years ago, a home layout built by Stuart Haworth. Not quite as numerous as Ashburton, but getting there.

My two penneth...?

Camden Road on the North London Line.

Slade Lane Junction Manchester I have always loved the arrangement for getting the UF DF US DS to US UF DF DS swap

early 1980's

And then

Kings Cross - but sacrilege for some it would be 1977/78 ie the revised layout but still with Deltics and with the Fuelling Point

Southampton Central from the A35 flyover to the tunnel

and a smaller one would be Hertford North this time prioir to electrification - model it on a sunday and could be very busy - pre electrification and you dont have the restrictions due to power supply

• RMweb Premium

Why not Lincoln Central? Perfect scenic breaks at each end, platforms not too long and loads of shunting movement!

Great idea; especially with prototype level crossing with huge traffic queues!!

My contribution; Tattenham Corner or Epsom Downs (on Derby Day).

PR 36E GC

Anybody heard of Manchester Mayfield station? It was adjacent to London Road, now Piccadilly, and was built as a terminus to alleviate the pressure on the latter, mainly dealing with suburban services.

I only came across the station yesterday by accident, but what a find, despite growing up in Lancashire I had never ever heard of it. Would make an interesting model IMHO.

Thought of another one - Farringdon. The lines on the left had a busy underground service with GW pannier tanks on meat trains to Smithfield. The lines on the right had GN and Mid trains to Moorgate, plus transfer freights to the Southern. Ironically, Southern locos must have been the least seen out of the Big Four here.

post-6880-12580599460592_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thought of another one - Farringdon. The lines on the left had a busy underground service with GW pannier tanks on meat trains to Smithfield. The lines on the right had GN and Mid trains to Moorgate, plus transfer freights to the Southern. Ironically, Southern locos must have been the least seen out of the Big Four here.

This is the one I couldn't think of earlier - surely an obvious choice for a great layout!

Archived