UK Stations someones really should have modelled by now!

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned Bournemouth West is one I'm surprised I've not yet seen or heard of actually being done. The station itself is possible in 16ft by 4ft or similar, though adding the carriage sidings would make it just a teeny tad longer ;)

Nearby Parkstone would be a good one if done as per steam era. Would fit in 12ft by 3 or 4ft, had a reasonable goods yard, and also had the link to the pottery line to Parkstone Bay. The potential for running different trains is pretty good too, as both the locals and the S&D trains ran through.

I have always thought that Barnstaple Town would make a cracking model. If I did it I would assume the L&B had never closed (like the VoR) and set it in the early 60's so I could run steam and some diesels (thinking red Warships and green coaching stock). The narrow gauge could have a mixture of liveries, and the whole thing could be done in a fairly small space. Could be a real show-stopper at exhibitions, especially if the curved bridge could be included.

Ed

Guest Belgian

Southampton MRC did Romsey years ago - I'm sure it still appears at their January show on a regular basis.

KP

"

Last January was its last showing, after 20 odd years it's being "withdrawn", which presumably means broken up, sadly.

JE

Faringdon is one of my favourite stations anywhere, but a couple of other suggestions for anyone not too interested in goods traffic (which counts me out, ironically), any of which I think could actually be done within a (broadly) practical space:

Liverpool Central - just the station throat, really, between the tunnel mouth and the start of the station roof with the turntable etc., essentially built in a large pit completely surrounded by buildings;

Ramsgate Harbour - as featured in the latest Backtrack, another main-line terminus, this one shoehorned in between a chalk cliff-face and the beach, directly at the mouth of a tunnel. Holiday traffic, Pullman trains etc.;

Baker Street - the mainline bit, yet another urban station hemmed in by high buildings.

Jim

It would have to be blackpool central brought up to date with 25Kv and a diesel depot instead of the steam shed and possibly a branch to take freightliner trains to fleetwood for the ferry to ireland and maybe coal for the old power station at ici (now demolished)and then chemical trains for ici- I could go on forever!!!

Or as mentioned warrington bank quay (my hometown) with coal trains passing underneath.

As mentioned Bournemouth West is one I'm surprised I've not yet seen or heard of actually being done. The station itself is possible in 16ft by 4ft or similar, though adding the carriage sidings would make it just a teeny tad longer wink.gif

It is one of those where there have been many wanting to do it, but there is insufficient info available to build a complete good quality model. The only person that I knew that had a large collection of photos was the last station master (forget his name) there, he lived in retirement in Westbourne, but unfortunately passed away about 9 or 10 years ago.

New Street!

The original one with Queens Drive down the middle.

Sounds good- all that lovely LNWR signalling equipment too. If anyone can do it Jim you're the man who has the skills and eye for detail to do it justice.

Couple of suggestions of my own:

Holborn Viaduct- i/c both levels,lots of Southern electric traffic, potential for loco hauled workings- especially parcels, Widened lines bound traffic on low level. Interesting and unusual signal box elevated on a girder with early 4 aspect (indeed the first in this country) colour light signalling.

Blackfriars- through and terminal platforms, a nice SR type 13 box, goods facilities, traffic to/from Widened Lines

Portsmouth & Southsea- both levels, through and terminal stations, freight branch (to Dockyard) and stabling sidings

Richmond - allows through running on the Southern and the District traffic i/c through running from the mainline. Interesting station layout i/c EMU stabling, goods facilities and another use of SR type 13 box.

Paddington Suburban (or Bishop's Road in an earlier configuration)- GWR suburban trains, Hammersmith and City line electrics and through City services with a Met electric loco and either GWR 4 wheel ML&City stock or steel/artic replacements, GW/BR meat trains to Smithfield Market...

Hammersmith (Met and GWR joint) -nice selection of trains- from GW steam passenger to Met/GWR electric units to later LT stock, GW/BR coal trains to the coal yard, interesting depot layout i/c carriage washing facilities and shunting etc, Ford private siding for GWR hauled car trains. Fully signalled i/c initially GWR semaphores morphing over the years to Met colour lights controlled by original GWR type 7 box..

Nuneaton Trent Valley with up and down yards, loco shed and large LNWR signalboxes...

Baker Street- in original 3 platform and rebuilt 4 platform versions - lots of lovely Met electrics in later years or Met steam in earlier times. Again nice variety of signalling- early Met colour lights in rebuilt station. Very much an urban setting hemmed in by buildings -many built over the line to form natural scenic breaks. If possible to include the through platforms on the Circle and be ale to show the Smithfield Market meat trains and the running round of Met locos off the old East station site.

Rickmansworth- nice mixture of Met/LT and GC/LNER/BR workings. Reasonable sized goods yard, loco sidings and changes between Met electric to steam, attractive signalling- nice mixture of semaphores and early colour lights. Station also located on a curve- one of those 'rules' for building a model broken...

Watford - the Met station. Smallish terminal but i/c extensive goods facilities. Early period could run LNER steam trains to Marylebone alongside Met MV/MW electric stock. Rickmansworth shuttle formed of an emu bubblecar (and at times a single brake third hauled by a Met electric loco) alongside Met loco hauled trains. Signalling a mixture of colour lights and semaphores.

Uxbridge- the original Met terminal station in Belmont Road. Again allows use of early Met electric unit stock i/c District and Piccadilly stock at times also. There was a short period during c1924 when two sets of GWR 4 wheeled ML&City stock were hired to the Met to relieve stock shortage and were used between Uxbridge and Baker Street hauled by a Met electric loco. Goods facilities also provided as well as some fine semaphore signalling.

In fact anywhere along the Met electrified route from Rickmansworth southwards- nice mixture of Met/LT electrics and LNER/BR passenger and freight- would be of interest.

Oh that we had the space available to us that the likes of Pete W et al have at their disposal....

Cynically, given the space that I suspect most of us have to play with, two-track suburban stations with plain line are probably massively under-represented! In this category, albeit not suburban, I'm surprised the agonizingly pretty Melrose station has not been attempted.

Like most, however, I'm guilty of trying to squeeze a gallon into the half-pint glass, and on that basis I'm surprised to have never come across attempts at:

Dudley (GW/ LNW joint, natural scenic breaks on two of the three entry points)

Sutton Park - two natural scenic breaks, postal sidings, island and bay in steam days

Wolverhampton Low Level - as mentioned by others

and now some that will be very obvious to practitioners of Borders rail:

Newtown St Boswells (unusual first choice for Waverley Route? - perhaps not): commodious livestock sidings, and junction for two branches, also photogenic and with operating interest until the end

Hawick - station, curving through what feels like 90deg, on a riverbank and literally crossing a viaduct (an RMWebber is building this viaduct in OO though!), carriage sidings, loco shed, freight yard

Galashiels - everything about this station and its environs, including the Tweed Viaduct, gasworks and Selkirk Jct shout 'model me,' and

Longtown - Esk viaduct to south, level crossing, and facing junction to Gretna and Mossband - a modest modellable prospect with river challenge, convincing water crossings possibly the signature feature of Waverley Route modelling!

Oops! - forgot my dream terminus - Ilfracombe 1970, my dream seaside route - Moray Coast line 1967, and dream scenic section - Glenfarg 1969: tunnel, tunnel, viaduct!

Ramsgate Harbour - as featured in the latest Backtrack, another main-line terminus, this one shoehorned in between a chalk cliff-face and the beach, directly at the mouth of a tunnel. Holiday traffic, Pullman trains etc.;

It's been done, and in 0 gauge to boot.

• RMweb Premium

It is one of those where there have been many wanting to do it, but there is insufficient info available to build a complete good quality model. The only person that I knew that had a large collection of photos was the last station master (forget his name) there, he lived in retirement in Westbourne, but unfortunately passed away about 9 or 10 years ago.

Now that would be a collection worth finding.

• RMweb Premium

Some cracking good ideas cropping up! Some of those mentioned have been modelled, even if not exact replicas. I have seen Grantham in P4 (still needs much doing but seeing a P4 pacific with a decent train behind is quite something). Nottingham Vic has been built in Australia! Some visitors from that part of the world told me about it. Broad Street (well half of it!) is the basis for Narrow Road. I also had dreams of Nottingham Vic but even if you had the room (not too long, as has been said it is a shade under 30' in 4mm scale) the width is a problem. If you want all the lines and the platforms, plus the road level buildings, you need about 8' width, so it would be very tricky to have access, especially under the roof. I gave up when I worked out how hard viewing would be. You look down on the roof of everything unless you leave one side of the cutting off. If you leave a side off, somehow it is not Victoria any more. Never did work that one out! The guy in Australia has viewing slots through the retaining walls on one side.

I have toyed with Leicester Central (pregrouping GCR - EM gauge) and it might still happen one day.

But my suggestion would be Chesterfield Market Place. A lovely 4 platform terminus very similar to a certain "Buckingham". I know it has been done because D & S produced etchings for the canopy supports quite a few years ago but that won't stop me having a go. A plan has been drawn for a U shape round the garage so it might actually happen!

Has anyone ever done Stranraer Harbour?

I've had thoughts of doing something loosley based on it for years.

Buffer stops and Loch Ryan at one end, the A77 overbridge at the other.

It really would need the Antrim Princess or Galloway Princess to complete it though for the period I have in mind.

WIMBLEDON - massess of variety and very busy; Waterloo to SW main line through trains, plenty of local services to various branch lines, cross London Thameslink connections to 'tut North, underground and Croydon tramlink services terminate at the platforms, and the TrainCare depot just outside.

G.

Radstock. Two railways, but the only physical connection was via Ludlow's Colliery. Ther is a small 00 model (non working) in Radstock museum. Nice to be able to take it out to Writhlington colliery on the S&D and Kilmersdon colliery on the GW and across to Five Arches in the other direction. In addition to the mines, it would also have two wagon works, stations and signal boxes and three level crossings if you include the one to Ludlow's.

What about Wrexham General? Not sure if it has been ever modelled, IIRC it was two separate stations (GC(?) and GWR) at one stage. Also Bala Junction.

I think the GC station, next door to General and on the way to Central station, was Wrexham Exchange but could be wrong.

David

CREWE!!!!! :O :O Blimey, you'd need a clubroom the size of the NEC to do that any justice :D :D

For me it would have to be Leicester Midland, the south end of the station disappears under the Station Building, and what a magnificent building it is, whilst the north end had the Depot on its East side and a large warehouse with numerous sidings on the West side, there was also the Post Office sidings adjaecent to Platform 1, and stabling sidings next to Platform 4.

Well thats my dream layout when I get the opportunity, or win the lottery :D :D

Regards

Neal.

I have also thought about doing this as the road bridge at the north end of the platforms would make a possible scenic break so that I wouldn't need to model the roundhouse etc. My modelling period is the "green diesel" era so it would be Leicester London Road; I spent many hours trainspotting on the platforms. If a ready to run Blue Pullman ever materialises then the temptation will be too great. Currently I model the Leicester-Nuneaton line. The Wigston "triangle" would also certainly be a challenge for someone with space as it would include Glen Parva, South Wigston & Wigston Magna stations.

Regards

David

Maybe it would be a good Idea to see what stations have been built, and what is the current status of the layout,

I.e. under construction, built, deceased

It would be quite a thread but could it be done with a online map with a dot for station and it's status?

The Q

Guest jim s-w

Thanks for the kind words Nat

However I only have 1 New Street in me, I will have to hope someone else builds the original station. Having said that this layout will feature Moor Street and the Curson Street station building as scenic elements. B)

Cheers

Jim

Archived