UK Stations someones really should have modelled by now!

Guest bri.s

wadsley bridge station on the woodhead route main line running electric,diesel or steam traction named trains lots of sidings. or my pipe dream penistone station circa 1958 either would take a lot of room but you never know these days there are mamoth layouts been built by a single person or a few individuals

I seemed to have missed this topic, but i have three places that spring to mind. One is Waterloo, after seeing the station throat modelled by Peco on their display stand using Code 100 track. The other two would be Frome before the cut-off was built and Plymouth Millbay with its Ocean Mail traffic. Frome is highly do-able for a club or even a one man effort, just.

Pontypool Road.

plenty of goods, North to west expresses changing locos, Castles halls granges kings changing to Scots patriots & black 5s.

Plenty of ex LNWR as well.

My dads done it in 4mm but i would love to see it in 7mm.

Uffculme

Maurice Deane did it sixty years ago as part of a very compact layout of the entire Culm Valley branch that included Culmstock and Hemyock as well. It was Layout of the Month in the February 1952 RM following an excellent detailed description of the prototype the month before. Comparing the photos of the layout with the prototype it's pretty good except that he had to reverse the curve at Uffculme so the platform is concave not convex. Apart from that the entire trackplan is modelled and all the main buildings are scratchbuilt to what looks to be a pretty high standard.

As with several of Maurice Deane's layouts it's an interesting concept as the whole layout fits onto a 6ft '6in by 6ft hollow baseboard with a 5ft x 18in extension to the long side. Hemyock occupies the extension board with the milk factory in low relief at the end and the line then forms a 3/4 spiral with Culmstock and Uffculme on the main board and ends in a storage yard with a run round and sidings on the inside of the spiral with Culmstock behind it. This yard takes the role that a fiddle yard would have nowadays but is operated as a proper yard as if at the junction and the track is ballasted so is part of the visible layout. The layout featured as a trackplan in the first edition of Cyril Freezer's 60 Plans for Small Layouts which included the plans of several other layouts that had featured in Railway Modeller including Charford but these were dropped in following editions

none of these are particularly big or unusual but i have often thought about:

clevedon in the 50's

Try Clevedon in the 30s and you could throw in the WC&P station as well!

On a personal note, I used to live near Haywards Heath and always had a hankering to model that, although it would be a bit heavy on EMUs - but if one invented the Bluebell getting some sort of running rights/parallel working into a bay platform of some sort...

I always thought Barnham might be an interesting modelling proposition.

Weymouth harbour has been suggested in "plans of the month" etc. several times, most recently in Hornby Magazine three or four years ago , but I'm not aware that anyone has ever modelled it. Most ideas focus on the harbour branch winding along Weymouth's quaysides which would be attractive but the ferry port itself would be interesting as it used to handle both boat trains and quite a lot of goods traffic in the same fairly tight area. The main limitation is the in the range of locos that operated it, mostly pannier tanks in steam days. but if you bent history a bit so that the GWR had built the harbour branch to enable main line locos to pull their own trains to the port (rather as did happen in Dieppe) you could have castles on the quays.

If I had the space - and the money - Brixton and Loughborough Junction in South London would be an interesting challenge.

Good variety of stock including lots of freight and steam specials, lines in all directions, and a lovely triangular junction at Loughborough Jct. http://g.co/maps/9hj3k plus if you're feeling a bit retro Brixton East station has some lovely art deco bits to it which can still be seen today.

• RMweb Premium

Its struck me that Conway suits itself as a station that would be perfect. For an ultra short layout there is just the station with the town walls at one end and a tunnel at the other. For those with more lenght is then having the goods yard with the lines disappearing into the tubular bridge at the far end. The castle behind would be inspiring and all on a curve as well.

Manchester Oxford Road, the post-25kV version. I think someone (Jim Lawton??) did the original version with MSJ&A catenary only back in the 50s, but if no-one's modelled the current structure yet, it'd be worth doing, if only for the distinctive architecture. Pre-1971 it would have an interesting mix with both 1500V and 25kV electrics to be seen plus DMUs and Trafford Park goods trains.

Another suggestion with local flavour - anyone had a stab at modelling Romsey station? The station itself is pretty compact, with a fairly interesting track layout even in this day and age, plus lots of rolling stock variety if modelled in the steam era with SR and WR stock to be seen.

David

Hi

Im attempting to build an N gauge model based on oxford road based on the 2000 - 2009 kind of period with a little modellers licence for space, operational, and desire to run class 304/5 emus! I

One of these days it may be in a suitable state to post some pics... not done any work on it in months due to house moves... work... etc etc.

Keep up the suggestions on stations though as theres been some great examples! i like the idea of Crewe although the layout would be massive!

I would throw the terminus of hayfield into the mix as a fairly spacious one platform station with goods yard, rail linked printworks, and loco shed. Modellers licence allowing the iconic GCR C13 tank engines (withdrawn late 50's) and the occasional gcr clerestory, mixed with br mk1, gresley and thompson suburbans, and some greenbr blue dmus to share the same services , mixed with a few small freights for the yards! - currently building an 00 gauge model based on this theme!

Regards

Mike

Bangor (in Wales, in case you don't know wink.gif) has a station "fenced off" by tunnels on either end. Moreover, there was the junction to Caernarfon as well, really hitting the main line on a right-angle. It's a busy line I presume, the last station on mainland Wales before crossing the waters for Anglesey and on to Holyhead. I understand there's talk of re-activating the line to Caernarfon, but as part of the NG empire of the FR/WHR. Takes a while though wink.gif

Quite agree. I must confess to having schemed out a model plan for Bangor and felt it was eminently possible. I visited in about 1961 and very much liked the variety of traffic and the location. However my chosen period of the 1950s would have had few if any Stanier pacifics, so I bottled out and went and did Hest bank instead. Good choice for the early 1960s, though.

Aberystwyth, prior to the closure of the Carmarthen line (properly known as the Manchester & Milford line) would have been an excellent choice. The 5 platforms are not too long, there are two routes into the terminus; indeed the M & M line begins curving away to the south even before the train is off the platform. There is an MPD, freight facilities and even, if you want to model that far to get a narrow gauge aspect, the old V o R route into its terminus nearby. Locos were Manors, 75xxx, 43xx, Dukedogs and various others

It was even fairly interesting in the blue diesel era, although the current scene is not sparkling, there being a 2 hourly service provided by a 2 car 158. Still, support your local railway!

Just had a fun hour or so reading this thread! but i've noticed there's not much from my area of the UK so a few thoughts of mine to throw out there....sorry for going on so long!

I don't know much about it or the actual layouts, but i've seen route overviews of North Walsham in the days of the M&GNR with 2 stations side by side and lines joining and going under each other. Some of the ground work is still there when you suddenly realise what you're looking at on the drive through to work each day! I imagine that'd be an interesting visual layout with lines off to 3 destinations at the 'northern' end and 2 at the 'southern'. No easy scenic break though.

I've often thought about Gt Yarmouth Vauxhall as it is now (and has been ever since i can remember!) with 2 single track lines coming in one end means there's no worries about wrong line running from a short fiddle yard arrangement. A model of the station itself could be ended at the bypass flyover, or if a bit more space is available then the carriage sidings the other side of the flyover could be included, but then the scenic break is lost. Stock wise, over the years the old carriage sidings have been used for storage of old carriages and freightliner flats, some freight services have been loaded there too. As well as the local DMU services, there's regular drags of the AC Norwich-London services for summer specials, and i've seen pictures of class 31 hauled mk1 services from there too in blue days. Bend reality a lot (and enter my fantisy land!) and the Docks branch across the bridge adjacent to the station could be reinstated for more through freight services of any suitable imagining! including maybe very long distance (!) MGR services if the coal power station was still in use, Cartics/car flats for vehicle exports using the roll on/off ramp i can remember seeing as a young lad for Norfolk Line lorries. Coming into modern times a little, if the outer harbour had actually caught on and container ships had come in then maybe there would have been the chance of Freightliner services working through too. A lot of scope IMHO

On a similar topic, my dad has expressed an interest the last few years on modelling all 3 Gt Yarmouth stations in N gauge.....i may have to start prodding him more in the right direction to start that, would be amazing to see if very large!

I spent a while drawing up a slighlty compressed possible OO layout of Norwich Thorpe and Crown Point on XTrkCad a while ago, a mixture of pre and post electrification and re-signalling for maximum operation/on view storage of trains rather than hidden. Probably more than 1 person can handle and the lottery win would be required but it's nice to dream!

And finally, there's this little gem below just to the north west of Ipswich station. I don't know what it is/was so any information on it's past use would probably help with a real location layout option and best era! But below it you have the GE mainline with services passing to Norwich/Ely/Cambridge and the junction to Felixstow and Lowestoft as it is these days with all the local services and freightliner movements that that entails. The point work for the start of Ipswich yard start here so there's the added visuall interest of that and there's an over bridge at each end to provide visual breaks to/from fiddle yards. The big mystery for me is what was the purpose of what looks like a terminus station that still has tracks laid and conected, albeit unused for a long time? And what potential added operational interest could it provided?

post-9147-0-84153400-1334439123_thumb.jpg

SG

My home town station (already mentioned) Warrington Bank Quay in the early 1970's

08's 24's 25's 40's 47's 50's, plus the odd 37 from the Eastern region on the low level in between the MGR's

Put an open box of Persil under the base boards, and you could almost be there !! :D

• RMweb Premium

Thinking back to my suggestion of Parkstone in Dorset, and its bank before and after, the total length would be around 84 feet from Whitecliff Road to St Osmunds Road. Given that the station itself would be less than twelve feet long at best, I think that could make for a pretty impressive layout for Warley one year! ;)

It has the plus points of nice fast trains going down it, and slower harder slog going up :D

http://g.co/maps/mgb7a

• RMweb Premium

And finally, there's this little gem below just to the north west of Ipswich station. I don't know what it is/was so any information on it's past use would probably help with a real location layout option and best era! But below it you have the GE mainline with services passing to Norwich/Ely/Cambridge and the junction to Felixstow and Lowestoft as it is these days with all the local services and freightliner movements that that entails. The point work for the start of Ipswich yard start here so there's the added visuall interest of that and there's an over bridge at each end to provide visual breaks to/from fiddle yards. The big mystery for me is what was the purpose of what looks like a terminus station that still has tracks laid and conected, albeit unused for a long time? And what potential added operational interest could it provided?

post-9147-0-84153400-1334439123_thumb.jpg

SG

I can't help you with what it is, but looking on the old maps website (http://www.old-maps.co.uk/), it appears to be post 1938 in origin. That site doesn't seem to allow to give a URL for a specific map, so you'd have to go in by hand to look at it.

Adrian

Aberystwyth, prior to the closure of the Carmarthen line (properly known as the Manchester & Milford line) would have been an excellent choice. The 5 platforms are not too long, there are two routes into the terminus; indeed the M & M line begins curving away to the south even before the train is off the platform. There is an MPD, freight facilities and even, if you want to model that far to get a narrow gauge aspect, the old V o R route into its terminus nearby. Locos were Manors, 75xxx, 43xx, Dukedogs and various others

I've been building that one for a few years, though defo not exhibitable! Don't have room for the VoR Aber terminus, but have included the M&M bridge, the original VoR depot and Devil's Bridge station.

For not modelled stations, I nominate Cholsey and Whitland.

• RMweb Gold

They've been mentioned before but, if money and space were no object, I'd go for modelling Bournemouth West or Brockenhurst.

Both offer for me interesting track layouts and operational variety for my chosen time period - 1950s through to the mid 60s.

The moveable barrow crossing at Brockenhurst would make a nice feature to replicate in model form too.

• RMweb Premium

I've thought about modelling St Helens Central (former Shaw Street) in the 90s. Bridges both ends of the platforms so nice short scenic section, junction at one end, loco hauled trains still running amongst the units. Maybe one day!

Bournville, its near Birmingham so likely to have a mix of motive power plodding through, lots of traffic in and out of Cadbury's not to mention Cadbury's own railway network taking things from the exchange sidings into the factory, pushing other waggons out again.

I've always wanted to do Lakeside, Windermere. Jamie Guest (Creator of Long Preston and hiding somewhere on this site) kindly mapped it out for me to 2mm standards when I was part of Wakefield club.

would have to be built either 30's LMS or 50's BR with one of the passenger cruisers on the slipway :D

as soon as I had space, a bit of time and a bit of money to build it I went and met my wife, leaving me with just the space to build it.

one day...

I fancy do Malvern Wells at the end of the war at some point. 2 stations close together GWR and LMS.

Hayle docks, with incline and main line above, would be big though.

Carn Brea, interesting industrial scenery.

Great Malvern for the buildings.

Archived