I've been doing some 'modelling' during the evenings this week before I hopefully crack on with H2 this weekend.

I decided I needed some coal loads for my HEAs, so used the same technique I did with the ballast, apart from I then painted it black.

post-10336-0-41773700-1382181191_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-50549800-1382181430_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-79831600-1382181255_thumb.jpg

I made the level quite low in the wagon as that how they seemed to often be loaded from the photos I've seen, but now it seems a bit low - I'll try with some different levels - I've got another 14 to complete all my HEA's, and then will have to move on to the rest of my wagons.

Phil

• Like 6

Posession of H2 has been handed back after the (minor) engineering work. It's amazing how long it has taken to connect the fiddle yard board to the bottom of the helix.

post-10336-0-53671000-1382300472_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-53401900-1382300484_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-42101100-1382300492_thumb.jpg

Yes I know it's slightly off on the final corner, a bit of adustment to be done once I've permanently laid the track. The plan is to stick it down with PVA rather than nail it down.

Back to Downton.....

Phil

• Like 5

Right, I decided to take a break from H2 / woodworking and go back to a bit of modelling.

Hopefully the discs are in the right place now (thanks again for all the help)

attachicon.gif20131015_200607.jpg

and then painted the top one black

attachicon.gif20131015_202003.jpg

attachicon.gif20131015_202203.jpg

Am I right in thinking I don't need to paint any on the front?

attachicon.gif20131015_204017.jpg

So.... next bit of help needed next is where do all the other bits go?

Peter, I've tried studying the photo of yours, but can't quite work out which bit is bit.

attachicon.gif20131015_200355.jpg

And one final pic (for Class "66") - here is what might be the station at some point, or is that a RES deopt, or...

attachicon.gif20131015_202306.jpg

Hi Phil,

Sorry about nor replying earlier, its been a bit busy down here.

Anyway not sure about 1, 2 is the vac pipe that goes in the square hole on the left. 3 is the 27 way jumper that goes either side of the right buffer. 4 not sure, sandboxes maybe. 5 sandbox pipework that comes out under the sandbox? mine came fitted with those so not really sure. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Phil,

Sorry about nor replying earlier, its been a bit busy down here.

Anyway not sure about 1, 2 is the vac pipe that goes in the square hole on the left. 3 is the 27 way jumper that goes either side of the right buffer. 4 not sure, sandboxes maybe. 5 sandbox pipework that comes out under the sandbox? mine came fitted with those so not really sure. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter for the info - I'll get the bits applied.

Evening all.

I've now added all the bits of the helix onto the threaded rod. They still need spacing out correctly, and also I'm going to have to remove some bits of the supporting frame to allow more headroom.

post-10336-0-70691000-1382648944_thumb.jpg

Oh and Poppy the cat decided to come for an inspection.

post-10336-0-62973700-1382648952_thumb.jpg

And here looks wistfully into the distance.

post-10336-0-59646000-1382648958_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 6

Really impressed with your Progress Phil. I bet you can't wait to get a full loop running. You and Poppy can sit back and watch the trains go by......... until Poppy takes a massive swipe at a passing formation she doesn't approve of! :-)

Really impressed with your Progress Phil. I bet you can't wait to get a full loop running. You and Poppy can sit back and watch the trains go by......... until Poppy takes a massive swipe at a passing formation she doesn't approve of! :-)

Thanks Guy.

As you can see I think there might have been a slight miscalculation with the clearances :O

post-10336-0-58302000-1382780851_thumb.jpg

So time to get the saw out.

Phil

• Like 1

Unless anyone can think of any other ideas.

First thought would be to support the inner cut end with a new leg from below - coming up just inside the helix. Scenic treatment of the above-baseboard solution could be a bit of a challenge right in front of that level crossing...

Right - the saw has been out as you can see.

attachicon.gif20131027_215959.jpg

The bit of wood on the top has been added and screwed into place to provide support. It'll become some kind of bank with a retaining wall?

Unless anyone can think of any other ideas.

To me that looks roughly platform height. Is it possible to move it right to the edge of the board closest to the camera? Put part of a large goods shed/warehouse on the the area that sticks out into the room with the side facing the camera open to reveal internal detail and the rest of the shed mearly implied behind the platform further along towards the camera where it's by the baseboard edge. If that makes sense. Obviously track will need laying beside it, then you've got somewhere for loading/unloading VGAs and Cargowaggons etc. Not sure what to do about the level crossing, it's tough to work out how much space would be left between the platform track and the rest of the yard to acommodate a road.

HTH

Edit: Looking at it again, this idea would also help you add a piece of wood above where you've just removed some to allow helix access suitably disguised within the warehouse to re-add more support to that area.

Edit 2: Just like this! Use imagination to add lorry under front awning, clutter on platform, and VGAs/Cargowaggons along side.

post-9147-0-00838600-1382991426.jpg

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 2

I did consider an off topic sign...but these are tenuously linked.

1. Helix......we came from another forum and whilst there, Kal designed and made a helix, he used wood for the supports not the metal bars and bolts that are so popular now, but it looked the business, it accommodated two lines up and a down and even weak locos could get up it. Perfect you would think. But try as he did to adjust it, every time he ran a full train it was in danger of centrifugal force pulling it into the centre. Being a perfectionist he couldn't stand the idea of only shorter trains being able to be accommodated. My point is does yours run full length trains? If so is it wider than a 1220mm / 4ft width? If it isn't what height between the tracks do you have. Or maybe it was because he had more loops. Anyways he eventually abandoned it and the tables. He took over another year before he even went back to the layout, by which time he had a new table design, a larger run to accommodate the up and down levels issue....and a much stronger table, that we could climb onto.....and the rest as they say is history.

I hope your helix is more successful.

2. As for the missing points, despite the Poppy cats diligent looks, is it possible that else where in the house there are mice designing their own layout with the missing points? Ah...I googled train and mouse no hits.....but if you google train and cats you get LOTS! Perhaps Poppy is the pilferer.

82004659.jpg cat.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

On reflection, I think the plank of wood is just slightly too close to the track/crossing to be tennable, so I'm going to have to try and brace from underneath. I am however going to have to add some bracing at the back and also cover the back bit of the helix, so a sort of platform / unloading area into a warehouse sounds ideal. I've re-added the backscene which needs a new coat of sky blue, so all there is to do is the final bit of ramp.

post-10336-0-40650200-1383170418_thumb.jpg

H1 - the first helix was made from 9mm MDF with a diameter of 4ft, although the track is 2nd and 3rd radius (18" and 21"?).

H2 is made from 6mm ply, with the same track on it seems a bit bendy, but I'm contemplating adding some more threaded rod to brace. The advantage (as I see) to using threaded rod is you can tweak/adjust as often as you like. I can quitle happily run (as I think there may be videos on earlier posts) reasonably lenght trains - 8 coaches / BDAs / intermodals.

Anyway, as you can see completion into a roundy - roundy is tantalisingly close...

post-10336-0-55646800-1383170398_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-82909800-1383170405_thumb.jpg

Oh and as for Poppy, I've always had my suspissions as to her motives, however her sister made a one way trip to the vets for less!

Enjoy

Phil

• Like 6

So it looks like Poppy must be starting her own layout, as in addition to the missing points I'm now one 3rd radius and four 2nd radius curves to complete the track on H2. So having come to a halt until I can get the extra track, I've moved on to painting - firstly the backscene 'sky blue' and here the first coat on the bridge.

post-10336-0-55599800-1383478557_thumb.jpg

Once this has dried, I think I'll have to do another coat on the legs/supports, then an all over bit of dirtying before some graffiti. I think I'll do the road tarcmac black.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4