Thanks for reminding me! :

Variations on an edging; replaced knackered slabs.....how steady is you painting hand ?;)attachicon.gifDSCF4139.JPG

That Whittlesey? I thought they had spent some money improving the platforms a couple of years ago? I'd ask for a refund!

I'm sure Phil's will be much neater.

That Whittlesey? I thought they had spent some money improving the platforms a couple of years ago? I'd ask for a refund!

I'm sure Phil's will be much neater.

Yup that's Whittlesea. The benches and shelters looked recent......that's about it. Platforms looked only just long enough for a 2 coach DMU.

I don't really think those metcalfe slabs really do your platform justice. Their range of sheets (A4 size I think) would give a much better representation of a slabbed surface.

If you do continue  I would advise a thin layer of PVA as the adhesive used for the slabs isn't very good.

I don't really think those metcalfe slabs really do your platform justice. Their range of sheets (A4 size I think) would give a much better representation of a slabbed surface.

If you do continue  I would advise a thin layer of PVA as the adhesive used for the slabs isn't very good.

Thanks - what do you think is better about the sheets?

I prefer the slabs because

a. they have some texture, and

b. the sheets I tried before on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30983-beresford-junction/?p=1251616 appeared a but orange.

Perhaps it's the photos/lighting that don't do them justice? I'll also be making them a bit dirtier.

I used them for the footpath on the bridge down the other end and I think they look quite good, but yet I agree when I fix them for good I'll put down a coat of PVA first.

I also plan on having some areas that have been dug up and then filled with tarmac, which I can add some suitable thickness card then paint tarmac colour.

Or knowing me, the platform might just change into something else.

Phil

• Like 2

I think its the size of the 'gap' between the slabs, I've used them before and just didn't get on with them.

The sheets are just easier to work with.

I agree with the areas of tarmac or concrete perhaps where lamp posts or cabinets will be situated on the platform surface.

I think its the size of the 'gap' between the slabs, I've used them before and just didn't get on with them.

I agree with the areas of tarmac or concrete perhaps where lamp posts or cabinets will be situated on the platform surface.

I see what you mean, and was actually thinking the same doing the calculations on gaps scaled up to real life, but for me I prefer a bit of texture.

Anyway a quick attempt at painting the edge of the platform white, and who was it said 'whats the worst that could happen......' I would post a pic but you'd all laugh.

Phil

• Like 1

I see what you mean, and was actually thinking the same doing the calculations on gaps scaled up to real life, but for me I prefer a bit of texture.

Anyway a quick attempt at painting the edge of the platform white, and who was it said 'whats the worst that could happen......' I would post a pic but you'd all laugh.

Phil

That would be me, and I want to see a pic now ;)

I tried the Slabs on my platform but changed to the card sheets for the same reasons above, the gaps are a serious H&S issue in 4mm!!!

I tried the Slabs on my platform but changed to the card sheets for the same reasons above, the gaps are a serious H&S issue in 4mm!!!

I presume the photos on the Deacon Nook thread are of the card sheets which do look good. Not sure if they are different to the ones I had which looked very orange in colour. I don't suppose you have any 'before' shots, i.e. with the slabs?

Phil

And having bored myself sticking on the slabs, I thought I'd take a few more artistic shots:

A reverse view of the yard:

post-10336-0-91717100-1387647271_thumb.jpg

A RES service arrives at the new platform with the new brutes used to unload the mail bags (yes I know I have some brass kits to make of these but just bought these instead).

post-10336-0-65312100-1387647283_thumb.jpg

(oh and a sneaky view of the pre-Christmas presents to myself)

And some more '37 refuelling action at the newly dirtied fuelling point, and the good news is that when I was looking for the mail bags I found the pipe.

post-10336-0-62353900-1387647296_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-94408400-1387647309_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 8