Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

. In 1957 four Bangor drivers were trained on the new Units and according to Bill Rear took up most services on the Amlwch line. I only ever travelled over that stretch in summer and it was always by steam train and LMS open 2-window coaches up until 1962 then elderly Staniers thereafter. I never once saw a DMU right up to my final visit in 1964.

ISTR I've seen a pic of a DLW at Amlwch, possibly in an MRC annual. It might not have been summer of course, and also might have been post-64.

The photo in question is at Potton. I had a closer look and the second vehicle does look like a DMC as what looks like an exhaust pipe is visible. A rare combination with a single unit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40263244@N04/5722565388/in/photostream

Another pic of 79900 on the Sandy - Bedford section, there look to be another two (?) cars behind it.

There's a shot in Modern Branch Line Album taken 31st Oct 1964 of a unit arriving at Amlwch on the 0640 exBangor-the line closed to passenger traffic some six weeks later on the 7th December

That would not be unusual, although as I said earlier I didnt know at the time. A shortage of DMU's brought about the return of steam-operation for the summer of 1963 reverting to DMU operation in the winter months. The same happened again in 1964, therefore the final months of the Amlwch branch saw DMU's again.

The video looks bleak and so I assume it was taken during the winter months. I never knew what Wales looked like out of the summer season until moving here!

For anyone interested, I have just finished converting my Derby Lighweight to P4 using the Branchlines 108 conversion pack. It was an easy conversion and the only thing that is necessary is to remove the brakes to get the clearance for P4 wheels. I imagine the same would be true if you are converting to EM.

I'm guessing that's the one at Sandy or somewhere near, in that big Chris Leigh book a few years ago? As I said earlier, I have a clear recollection of SC79189/90 in store at York in 1969, which seemed odd even at the time but then there were also odd cars from the NER DLW units scattered around at the time.

We've not made much mention of this, but the above pair were just two of fourteen vehicles allocated to 64H Leith Central for a short period in '67 immediately before withdrawal.

Now, on with the show, and over in the WR Group later we'll be chewing on some DLW gristle, viz both body styles are appropriate for the Upperby diagrams, but not necessarily all alongside one other! The large original batch M79008-20/79600-12 were withdrawn between January '68 and the May timetable that year. From the later batch, M79118-27/79639-47 spent varying periods allocated to Upperby from 1959 (first three units) or 1966 (remainder) until withdrawal en masse in April '69. These can all happily appear together.

(As I'm modelling May '68 - Jan '69 as my signature window, I therefore don't require the current Barwell product, lovely as she is. However, were I to acquire one it would be an era-defining train for, say '67, which I might do when I roll back to the WR's last year of steam.)

Now this is where it gets interesting for the Cumbrian afficianadoes: the following, from the later batch were then drafted in to replace some of the wastage of the older units: M79128/9/42/4-6/8/71/5/7/80/1/79663/7/8/72/3/5/6/8-80/3/4. Admittedly some of these went to the wall in February '68 but the majority lasted a further year beyond the cull, not retiring until April '69 in the majority of cases. Now within all this lot there is definitely scope for running each forthcoming Bachmann DLW from Cockermouth to Hawick :angel:

As I have now successfully run the DLW in multiple with a Hornby 101 my next project is to retrofit and upgrade a Lima 2 car 101 (new Hornby Motor Bogie etc) to MU with the DLW. This will involve making 'skirts' for the front end, adding another light instead of the 2 track box in the front and a few more details altering including the addition of the jumper cable sockets on the cab fronts.

Will post pics when finished - I'm recreating the BT Film Diesel Train driver in miniature!

I await the next release as this version can also be adapted to the battery unit.

Not sure about a Chris Leigh book. The photo was in the First Generation DMUs book by Kevin Robertson, which was notable for its inaccurate captions and muddling up of types. The book I referred to is the new one by Hugh Longworth - an essential reference for anyone with an interest in DMUs and commendably pretty free of howling errors.

The photo in question is at Potton. I had a closer look and the second vehicle does look like a DMC as what looks like an exhaust pipe is visible. A rare combination with a single unit.

Railway World Annual 1986 p123 and p1255 show M79970 and DMC M79179 at Potton on 16 April 1966. There is no doubt that the vehicle coupled to M79970 is a DMC.

• RMweb Gold

Yipee, just seen on MRE Mag that the next green lightweight to arrive is an East Anglian unit. Destination blinds show Dereham and Kings Lynn - would have preferred Lowestoft and Norwich but what the heck......

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Living in, and modelling the Chilterns, I was thinking this was one lovely unit where my wallet could stay shut.

Looking in Middleton Press 'Paddington to Princes Risborough' today I noticed that plate 52 (no page numbers) had a shot at West Ruislip. E(?)70501 leading a 4 car set towards Marylebone 28/4/54 (according to the caption). Even if date is wrong it's clearly there passing a diesel parcels railcar which obscures the other 4 cars in the unit. I hadn't realised one had worked this route. (Pic attributed to K.Nunn/LCGB)

Living in, and modelling the Chilterns, I was thinking this was one lovely unit where my wallet could stay shut.

Looking in Middleton Press 'Paddington to Princes Risborough' today I noticed that plate 52 (no page numbers) had a shot at West Ruislip. E(?)70501 leading a 4 car set towards Marylebone 28/4/54 (according to the caption). Even if date is wrong it's clearly there passing a diesel parcels railcar which obscures the other 4 cars in the unit. I hadn't realised one had worked this route. (Pic attributed to K.Nunn/LCGB)

This was probably a demonstration run for BR top brass (who were based at 222 Marylebone Road). The sets were the early West Riding power-twins rather than the ones Bachmann have modelled.

Just been working on my Metcam to retrofit same into one of the early units. I used the plastic tube from cotton buds to make the extra marker lights, and had some spare etched jumper cable sockets in the DC models Cravens Parcel Unit which I am building at present. The latter is being modified to fit a spare Bachmann underframe.

Will post pictures when finished. I've just found a sheet of Pressfix BR carriage lining which will be spot on to replace the lining on the cab fronts of the Met Cam.

As I am keeping the existing couplings at present I cannot fit the skirts as yet, but that will be overcome in due course.

The Met Cam started as a Lima 2 car which I reworked with the latest Hornby mechanism and the trailer car has the underframe for a centre car. Thanks again East Kent Models.

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone happen to know the numbers of the 2 car Derby Lightweights that ran on the Bletchley > Bedford line in Blue livery please (there is a photo of one in the Middleton Press Bletchley to Cambridge book).

How suitable is the forthcoming blue liveried set to enable modelling one of these units?

Thanks!

Bletchley allox 1966-68:

M79131-6 (wdn 1/68, 10/67, 10/67, 4/68, 4/69, 1/68) DMBS

M79184-7 (wdn 4/69, 1/68, 4/69, 4/68) DMBS

M79653-7 (wdn 4/68, 4/69, 6/67, 10/67, 4/69) DTCL

M79189-90 (1966 only) DMCL

• 3 weeks later...

How's about a SC- allocated Lightweight photo?

Who else but Irishswissernie on Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...rnie/6621298159

More than that, it's a motor composite from one of the two-car power-twins. It looks as though it is coupled to another of the same type. There were only five of these power twins and three had their DMCs converted to DTCs. If the other one is indeed a DMC it must be Sc79190.

There were also DMCs and DMSs for the four-car sets but they were different, especially the window layout on the DMC.

How's about a SC- allocated Lightweight photo?

Who else but Irishswissernie on Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...rnie/6621298159

See my earlier posts, #171 and #238 regarding 79189/90 at York

Although I was very keen to do a DMU book for Ian Allan, and suggested it several times, I never got to do it. The project was ubsequently taken up by Brian Morrison.

Our loss I think, Chris :unsure:

I think this is so - from artwork seen to date they are the version with the later guards van. This was the batch which were often MUd with the early Met Cams like the one I have produced shown above. They were yellow diamond coupling code so could not be used with the later blue square units, hence their comparatively early demise.

I'm sure this question has already been answered somewhere on RMWeb so apologies! Am I right in assuming that the second run of Bachmann Derby Lightweights will be the build that flooded East Anglia in the late 1950s and 60s rather than their first release?

I'm not sure where, could have been the Bachmann website, but I've seen a photo of the GSYP version with East Anglian destinations and with the later van window layout.

I've had one of these on order from a small retailer for several months but they're still waiting for supplies, almost two months since it first appeared. A conversation with another local retailer revealed he's in the same boat and far from happy with the situation. It seems he was in a similar position with the 3F and lost sales as a result.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation or does anyone know what's happening?

Archived